Popping Corn/Popcorn Toppings

Options
Hi All,

UK user here. I just bought myself a bag of popping corn kernels from Holland & Barrett as I have read a few posts where people mention this as a replacement snack for the bad stuff. However all the posts I have seen where people mention their toppings/seasonings of choice all seem to be non-UK users so most stuff mentioned isn't available here.

So.....would any UK'ers be kind enough to share what they season their popcorn with? I like savoury and sweet so all suggestions welcome :-)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Paprika
    Chilli
    cocoa powder
    Schwartz salad seasonings
    Curry powder
    Tesco do a couple of coffee/ hot chocolate shaker things in spiced flavour and chocolate I think that are around 4 cals per teaspoon

I am going to put in an order with americansweets.co.uk though as they do a load of the popcorn seasonings there.
  • emmah72
    emmah72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I brought some 1 cal butter spray oil from Tesco and spray my popcorn with that then add some mixed spice or some dried Parmesan. Even my fussy kids eat it :)
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I have spray sunflower oil, didn't know you could get spray butter. Is it a Flora one or something like that?

I am going to give the salad seasonings a go!

I heard about this nutritional yeast which apparantly tastes cheesy I'm going to go back to H&B and see if they sell it there :-)
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    Yeast just makes me think marmite :sick:
  • sozzell
    Options
    Yeast just makes me think marmite :sick:

Mmmmmmmarmite!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like sea salt and cracked pepper on mine.
  • sozzell
    Options
    I like sea salt and cracked pepper on mine.

Nice!

As I don't have a microwave, assume I just stick in a pan with a lid or do I need some butter/low cal spray in there? Or do I do that once it's popped?
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You will need a little oil in the pan to pop it. I good heavy bottom pan works best.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is an amazing popcorn topper...has sort of a cheesy flavour, yum.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Good Eats popcorn

http://youtu.be/WHb3PHFfdvo
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Used to quite enjoy Vegetable Supreme on top of popcorn (as well as on vegetables, fish, and cottage cheese) but they discontinued it a few years ago, replacing it with something called "Perfect Pinch-Vegetable" that is not at all the same product.
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    You don't need oil, stick it in a paper bag, fold the top down a few times, stick in microwave and cook until popping slows right down to one every few seconds.