Healthy options for kids

sjcply
sjcply Posts: 817 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying really hard to get my kids to eat healthy, but they don't want anything to do with it. I fix it and they just wont eat it. Anyone have any suggestions, websites, recipes or what has worked with their kids. Greatly appreciated!

Replies

• losingnow
    losingnow Posts: 82
    I have the same problem. I think my son could live on chicken nuggets and french fries.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Growing up my parents didn't give me an option. It was the food that they cooked or nothing. I remember many loooonnngggg evenings of sitting at the table pouting until I ate. And if I didn't, I ate it the next morning! Today...I am so thankful for those lessons. I have a healthy relationship with food and learned to love veggies. Maybe it's not about giving them options....just a thought!:)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Hi,

I don't have kids but sometimes you need to get a bit creative especially if they are fussy. Try to include them in any way you can (not sure how old they are so I hope these suggestions are appropriate) - if you have the space and time growing their own vegies or herbs can motivate them, give them choices in what they have but not too many. E.g. do you want broccoli, zucchini or beans with dinner? Don't make it an open choice like 'what do you want for dinner?'. Get them to look through recipe books or websites and choose things that appeal to them. Don't be too afraid to say no to them - the paediatric dietitians I know all swear by 'a fussy child never starved themself to death by food refusal' if your children are truly hungry, they will eat (even something healthy!)

As for a website: I really like www.gofor2and5.com.au its basically encouraging increased fruit and veg intake and it's somewhat targeted at kids. Good luck!
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    In my house, my daughter gets to pick one meal a week of whatever she wants and the rest of the time she eats or doesn't eat what I give her. She won't starve herself. I am lucky though, she will at least try everything and likes most. And offer variety, that is a huge help too.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife has a great book out called deceptively delicious. Some great ideas on how to "trick" your kids into eating healthier meals.

However - I've found by just giving them 2-3 healthy options on their plate and tell them they can take it or leave it, works well too. They will get hungry and eat.

Some days, I'm the lazy one and will give them hot dogs, but I'll serve them with apples and cheese slices.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    i love these posts! i'm a picky eater that never grew up and tricking myself and DH into eating healthy can be a challenge. check my blog for a few recipes i've designed for picky eaters!
  • sjcply
    Growing up my parents didn't give me an option. It was the food that they cooked or nothing. I remember many loooonnngggg evenings of sitting at the table pouting until I ate. And if I didn't, I ate it the next morning! Today...I am so thankful for those lessons. I have a healthy relationship with food and learned to love veggies. Maybe it's not about giving them options....just a thought!:)

Yes I do know what you mean! We do this most of the time.,...my husband being better at doing it than I am. It is a battle everyday, and I am looking for healthy options that kids will eat so that I DONT have to fight her everday. I have 3 kids and the two older ones eat what is on their plate (90% of the time) but it is my 4 yr old that refuses to eat good food. She is a snacker and a picker, never eats a full meal.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it hasnt seemed to work with this child:noway:
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Lucky me. My kids are young enough they will eat what ever i eat. They are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. So I am working with them to have better eating habits than I did. As I got older I descovered I really liked those healthy foods that I refused to eat. Good luck. i really wish i could help.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    All my kids were that way but as the 2 oldest have matured they have learned to try new things.

My youngest is still a challenge. He really does not like the taste of any vegetable. There are a handful of fruits he will eat once in a while. I want to do more research on the topic of the super taster. I came across that in a book I was reading yesterday. Super tasters have a lot more taste buds on their tongue than most people do so they really taste the bitter, the sour, the sweet all flavors are super intense, so strongly flavored foods don''t taste good to them.

Just a thought!
  • sjcply
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife has a great book out called deceptively delicious. Some great ideas on how to "trick" your kids into eating healthier meals.

However - I've found by just giving them 2-3 healthy options on their plate and tell them they can take it or leave it, works well too. They will get hungry and eat.

Some days, I'm the lazy one and will give them hot dogs, but I'll serve them with apples and cheese slices.

Thanks! I will check that book out, sounds great!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    All my kids were that way but as the 2 oldest have matured they have learned to try new things.

My youngest is still a challenge. He really does not like the taste of any vegetable. There are a handful of fruits he will eat once in a while. I want to do more research on the topic of the super taster. I came across that in a book I was reading yesterday. Super tasters have a lot more taste buds on their tongue than most people do so they really taste the bitter, the sour, the sweet all flavors are super intense, so strongly flavored foods don''t taste good to them.

Just a thought!

wow! really!?!?!?!? i have never heard of this!!! i have to look this up... this makes so much sense. i have been a picky eater my entire life but not just about veggies. i did not like pizza as a kid, nor did i like sugary candy. to this day, i don't eat "normal" desserts or any kind of candy except dark chocolate and some frozen desserts like ice cream or gelato. same with soda - i don't like any kind of soda because the flavor is ridiculously sweet to my taste. maybe i'm a super taster? lol.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member

Just a thought!

wow! really!?!?!?!? i have never heard of this!!! i have to look this up... this makes so much sense. i have been a picky eater my entire life but not just about veggies. i did not like pizza as a kid, nor did i like sugary candy. to this day, i don't eat "normal" desserts or any kind of candy except dark chocolate and some frozen desserts like ice cream or gelato. same with soda - i don't like any kind of soda because the flavor is ridiculously sweet to my taste. maybe i'm a super taster? lol.

There has been research on the taste buds in general and how they change as you age, which may or may not be a factor. I think the most important thing is incorporating good foods into their diet and having them always try new things. I don't think it is always taste that is a factor, with kids especially, smells, textures, just the way something looks can be factors. Also, kids can be stubborn and they don't plan like we do (planning is a skill that develops relatively late, teenage years). If you ask them what they want for dinner they aren't going to think, "well I haven't gotten my lean protein in for the day, so how about grilled chicken, mom?" they're probably going to say what they had for dinner yesterday or even lunch today. I think it is important to encourage them to try it and find a balance between forcing certain foods/behaviors and enabling them from eating only a select few items. I commend you on your efforts for getting your kids in on this, I know so many parents that eat healthy now but i guess don't think their kids need to eat healthy until they are a certain age or something? as if they can eat whatever they're want while they're young and then when they go to school, etc they're just supposed to love vegetables overnight or wait until they're in their teens or twenties or later to realize everything on their own?
This discussion has been closed.