LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be
    it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by
    scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
    than my own meandering
    experience…

...But trust me on the sunscreen…

This was exactly what I was thinking!!! Made my day!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    shower daily
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!!!!!!! And never, NEVER tan!!!!
  • tuckersmom72
    tuckersmom72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Be more active. I was a couch tater. I'm now beginning to pass this on to my son so hopefully he won't learn this when he is 40. Anyway walking and biking aren't as hard as I thought they would be, I started out slow and working harder. Most important thing I feel so much better. Good luck to everyone out there. God bless.:flowerforyou:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I guess it's not quite a grooming tip but I would like to instill in my daughter the concept of don't judge a book by it's cover.Just because someone looks beautiful or nice doesn't mean they are and on the polar opposite if someone is considered unattractive or ugly it does not mean they are on the inside...I really hate how Disney/Most children shows portray the hero/protagonist as stereotypically beautiful and the villain is always unattractive or overweight.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids yet, but I suppose I would tell her (I'm just assuming it would be a girl) that makeup shouldn't be used as a tool to make yourself feel pretty. You should learn early to love your body and your face the way they are without trying to groom, pluck, tuck, pull, cover, bleach, and wax everything.

That's what I wish my mom would have told me, anyway! But you can't tell your kid that unless you believe it yourself, and unfortunately, my mom doesn't realize and never did how beautiful she is -sigh-
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Don't be a derp or I'll disown your *kitten*.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Don't wear too much makeup, especially foundation. It will mess up your skin and it NEVER looks good. As much as you think it does, it is ugly. Nothing beats having healthy, smooth skin! Take care of your skin!!

Not true. Wearing make up does not mess up your skin unless you have sensitivity to the ingredients. What can cause messed up skin for some make up wearers is: not properly removing the makeup. Many people who do not wear make up have jacked up skin. It can be from genetics, lifestyle and hygiene.

Make up artist 10+ years.

Thank you!! My skin is better right now than it was when I was not wearing any makeup (about 4-5 years ago), so clearly the foundation is not harming my skin!

Everyone is different, right? When I was wearing foundation, I would constantly break out, cover it up with foundation, break out - constant spiral. And I took my makeup off every single night, or as soon as I would get home. I stop using foundation, gave my face some time to clear up and bam - breakouts were gone and haven't come back since.

Coincidence? I think not. Everyone's skin is not the same. Everyone's skin reacts differently to products - even when you are not allergic, walking around with a caked up face all day, every day is not great for a lot of people's skin - oily skin especially.

Dermatologist*
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I guess it's not quite a grooming tip but I would like to instill in my daughter the concept of don't judge a book by it's cover.Just because someone looks beautiful or nice doesn't mean they are and on the polar opposite if someone is considered unattractive or ugly it does not mean they are on the inside...I really hate how Disney/Most children shows portray the hero/protagonist as stereotypically beautiful and the villain is always unattractive or overweight.

Just wanted to add I don't advocate being overweight or poor fitness...but people are all to ready to assume people in these situations are just lazy, we don't know how they got there it could be any series of events such as picking up poor habits from family or peer groups, depression, illness etc and maybe the 150kg/300lbs person was 200kg/400lbs six months ago and are working quite hard to lose it.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Be more active. I was a couch tater.

Absolutely true. I used to be active, danced for 18 years of my life but gave up on it because I started college - I had all kinds of excuses. I want to teach my children that you can get an education AND stay active. No excuse is good enough to let your health suffer.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Always wash your face at night
    Make sure to wear sunscreen
    Drink plenty of water

As for trends I did that I'd advise avoiding...

Stay away from tanning beds
    Don't overpluck your eyebrows
    Don't fry your hair doing colors and treatments
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wish my parents had taught me better eating and sleeping habits. My mother has a hard time gaining weight so she can eat ANYTHING at stay in the 120s so as a kid we had a lot of not so healthy food, I barely remember eating veggies or fruit as a kid. I wish they hadn't let me drink soda, forced me to drink more water, I wish we hadn't eaten fast food as much as we did and I wish they would have told me I didn't need to wear makeup at 13. I watched my mother getting ready as kid and I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world, I wanted to do everything she did. So I started packing on the makeup even though I still had perfect skin, and had no need to wear the stuff. I wish i'd been allowed to be a kid, while I was a kid. I grew up to fast.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I agree with above. Don't wear too much makeup, especially foundation. It will mess up your skin and it NEVER looks good. As much as you think it does, it is ugly. Nothing beats having healthy, smooth skin! Take care of your skin!!

Not true. Wearing make up does not mess up your skin unless you have sensitivity to the ingredients. What can cause messed up skin for some make up wearers is: not properly removing the makeup. Many people who do not wear make up have jacked up skin. It can be from genetics, lifestyle and hygiene.

Make up artist 10+ years.

Thank you!! My skin is better right now than it was when I was not wearing any makeup (about 4-5 years ago), so clearly the foundation is not harming my skin!

Everyone is different, right? When I was wearing foundation, I would constantly break out, cover it up with foundation, break out - constant spiral. And I took my makeup off every single night, or as soon as I would get home. I stop using foundation, gave my face some time to clear up and bam - breakouts were gone and haven't come back since.

Coincidence? I think not. Everyone's skin is not the same. Everyone's skin reacts differently to products - even when you are not allergic, walking around with a caked up face all day, every day is not great for a lot of people's skin - oily skin especially.

Dermatologist*

You said "Everyone's skin is not the same" which is basically going along the lines of my post. You know that thing called generalizations. Making a blanket statement that foundation will ruin your face...is a generalization. It ruined YOUR face. It hasn't done that for many, many, many women.

I have great skin. I loveeeeeeeeee makeup. I used to have uber oily skin that for some reason regulated it self (not that I am complaining). I'm 32. Makeup didn't make it worse. I wear it every day because I can and because I want you. Full face. Foundation, setting powder, eyes, lips. Takes me about 10 mins each morning. Not caked on because I know how to apply it PROPERLY. Like I said it might be genetics, not having a reaction or you know cleaning my face properly at the end of each day. I'm pretty sure others can attest to this. Not one size fits all. Just saying....
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    A shaved head requires no comb

No offense, sir, but it also doesn't look as good as you think it does! ((My opinion))
    George Carlin said it best......if you don't know what I mean, google George Carlin on bald guys.

the point is that I don't give a f--- what anyone thinks about it (or what it looks like for that matter). I do it because it feels good, and it's easy to maintain.

That's the idea I am passing onto my child. Live your life for you.

Anthony De Mello puts it best: "It is not selfish to live your life as you see fit. The selfishness lies in demanding that someone
    else live their life to suit your tastes, or your pride, or your profit, or your pleasure. That is truly selfish."