Is there a way to check HRM?

Options
micheleb15
micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
I do Insanity every morning at 545 am. Every time I look down during the actual workouts (not stretching) HR is around 158-163. At the end of my workout it says my average is 140. This morning I only burned 279 for 39 minutes of Pure Cardio. I stopped for water maybe three times no more than 10 secs. I pushed myself and expected more calories burned. I don't know if I am not working hard enough or if it's my HRM. I have a Polar FT7, wet the strap, etc.

I am 29, 5'2, 155, resting heart rate is around 60 and have max set at 195.

I used this website just to see where I should be. With my HR at 155 for 20 min it's 206 calories, and then I did a 120HR (which is way low) for the other parts and it's 170 calories. With those calculations, I should still be around 370 calories.
http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

I have no idea how those burning 500 calories with Insanity do it. I am working my butt off and can't get close to that.

Replies

• micheleb15
    Options
    bump
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I jus posted on your wall but here is the link (it's a long one but the info is in here)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/spreadsheet-ver-3-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-macro-calcs-hrm-zones-426221

Keep in mind that weight plays a role in calories burned. Those burning 500 probably weigh more than you do.

ETA
    This one too
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • micheleb15
    Options
    I jus posted on your wall but here is the link (it's a long one but the info is in here)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/spreadsheet-ver-3-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-macro-calcs-hrm-zones-426221

Keep in mind that weight plays a role in calories burned. Those burning 500 probably weigh more than you do.

ETA
    This one too
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Thanks for this!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I'm the same height and weigh 118lbs and when I did Insanity I burned upwards of 500 calories depending on the workout. I think there might be something off with the OP's HRM.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I'm the same height and weigh 118lbs and when I did Insanity I burned upwards of 500 calories depending on the workout. I think there might be something off with the OP's HRM.

Which is why I suggested on her wall to check the HRM (she had already posted this but I didn't know). However the other possibility is yours is off.
    But to re-phrase - you can't compare calorie burns to other people. Weight and intensity are the two factors. Also when people start and stop tracking will affect the number. If the workout is over and you are stretching to cool down, you could get an inflated burn depending on how long your heart rate stays elevated.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing a trend on the forums. If this was a thread asking if you should buy a HRM or if you should trust the 'burns' that MFP reports, 30 people would jump on here and shout "YOU HAVE TO BUY A HRM!" But when there's a thread about someone that bought a HRM and it's given them suspect burn rates, there's barely any replies.

Where are all the helpful people that say HRMs are the only way to get true burn rates? They will help you choose which Polar or Garmin product to buy but they have nothing to offer on how to work right? I guess they're getting paid by the marketing dept and not by tech support.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    ^^^ LOL

My thought was:

1. Hey, you are getting in better shape, congrats!
    2. Maybe you had an off day?

Had a similar workout yesterday. I was pretty tired, felt like I was giving it my all, but my HR was only in the 110s or 120s in areas where its normall in the 150s and 160s. It happens. Just roll with it.

Now if you keep working out and theres no change & your heart is racing and feels like its coming out of your chest and it still says 120 either get another HRM or go to a doctor. One of the 2 sounds broken.

Edit: Maybe a low battery? Cant say for sure, Ive only had my HRM for 3-4 months.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    ^^^ LOL

My thought was:

1. Hey, you are getting in better shape, congrats!
    2. Maybe you had an off day?

Had a similar workout yesterday. I was pretty tired, felt like I was giving it my all, but my HR was only in the 110s or 120s in areas where its normall in the 150s and 160s. It happens. Just roll with it.

Now if you keep working out and theres no change & your heart is racing and feels like its coming out of your chest and it still says 120 either get another HRM or go to a doctor. One of the 2 sounds broken.

Edit: Maybe a low battery? Cant say for sure, Ive only had my HRM for 3-4 months.

It didn't feel like it was an off day. I felt great and not too tired. When I look down and check it through the workout I am usually around 160, but after the workout my calories burned is lower than I thought. Damn the HRM.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    I'm noticing a trend on the forums. If this was a thread asking if you should buy a HRM or if you should trust the 'burns' that MFP reports, 30 people would jump on here and shout "YOU HAVE TO BUY A HRM!" But when there's a thread about someone that bought a HRM and it's given them suspect burn rates, there's barely any replies.

Where are all the helpful people that say HRMs are the only way to get true burn rates? They will help you choose which Polar or Garmin product to buy but they have nothing to offer on how to work right? I guess they're getting paid by the marketing dept and not by tech support.

Well crap, where are the tech support cronies?!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're looking down at your watch corresponds to moments when you are pushing harder and it's confirmation that you are? (i.e. wow I'm pushing hard, looks down at heart rate, yes I am indeed... but when you aren't having that wow moment, maybe it's resting at 135)

My heart rate spikes and drops quickly... I have a resting rate of 65ish, but after ten barbell squats, it might spike up to 160. My recovery, though, is super fast and it will drop to the 80-120 range in less than 10-20 seconds.

the fitter you get, the more efficient your heart is. the closer you get to goal, the harder it is to get the same burns, but that's ok, because you will also have more muscles and should have less need for a deficit.

I'm thinking that your heart rate is spiking and falling quickly and that's why your average is lower than anticipated.

And remember.... it's all a WAG (wild *kitten* guess)... it's to give you a rough estimate. You'll never have your calories consumed vs burned over a 24 hour period exactly right (or even nearly right).