Planning to go over on calories

Options
Hello all! I am planning on going out tonight to a fancy restaurant and getting whatever the hell I want, followed by a movie that will likely involve huge amounts of popcorn. I *know* that today is not going to be a good day calories-wise, but it's a special occasion and I'm willing to face a slight setback. To minimize damage, I am wondering whether I should just not really eat anything until dinner (which won't be for another 12 hours! o.0) or whether I should eat like I normally would, with a small breakfast and lunch. Thoughts?

Replies

• deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would eat sensibly through out the day so you're not famished by the time you get to dinner. And drink lots of extra water since your sodium intake will be higher! Even if your weight goes up tomorrow it will just be extra water weight that will drop off as you go back to your lower intake. And most importantly enjoy your night out(:
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. However, personally I would eat minimally throughout the day so that I felt more comfortable eating more later on. The healthier thing to do is to eat as you normally would in the day though! :-)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I approve this message....
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Eat normally throughout day and enjoy your food at dinner. Just eat slow and you don't have to finish everything. You might feel like crap tomorrow but.... get right back on plan. Exercise, log food, weight if you want. You will weigh 3-4 lbs more (maybe) due to water weight but... get right back to it.

This happens to me about once per month and I get right back to it. I do try to order something healthy, dressing on the side, sauce on side. grilled etc. This saves a little and actually, since this is a lifelong living plan, it is the way of the future. I have been thinking that "normal" food thinkers and eaters do this naturally. They eat out but... I think they go right back to their normal healthy eating without even thinking about it. We have to plan and think about it as it does not come naturally.

Make sure to NOT feel guilty - enjoy but get back to it!!!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Today: Eat normally. Pig out.
    Tomorrow: Eat normally. No guilt

Enjoy! :)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    One other thought - are you eating the popcorn because it is a habit at the movies and everyone else is doing it??? This is something to work on in the future as you want to be able to go to movies with friends without eating popcorn all the time. Order a diet pop and a small popcorn, no butter (don't squirt it with butter either)!! Every little change in behavior will become the norm.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I do this once in a while too. What I do to try to minimize the damage is to eat light through the day. Not eating at all is NOT good for your body. I would also make sure to get a good work out in. If you burn extra calories, you can have more if you want. Have fun, just remember not to keep the free- for- all going, get back to the healthy eating tomorrow.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's all about rewards. Eat sensibly during the day, go out and enjoy that fancy meal and huge amounts of popcorn. Keep you ware intake up and most of all ENJOY it!

I learned a long time ago that depriving oneself just lead to problems, so eat responsibly at will.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    Oh how I wish in Australia you could get extra butter on popcorn... *drools*
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    One other thought - are you eating the popcorn because it is a habit at the movies and everyone else is doing it??? This is something to work on in the future as you want to be able to go to movies with friends without eating popcorn all the time. Order a diet pop and a small popcorn, no butter (don't squirt it with butter either)!! Every little change in behavior will become the norm.

I agree! My husband and I do still eat popcorn at the movies too but like this other person, we forgo the butter on it now and don't eat as much. TONS of calories saved and we really don't miss it much!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1 day over won't be the end of you unless you let it turn into a habitual thing. Eat normally through the day, eat whatever you want tonight, go back to normal tomorrow.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It's not about comparing one day to another. There will be many more days where you don't stick to your calories and lose. The whole point is to win more than you lose. That's how you lose weight. Win more days than you lose. Enjoy today, try and make smarter choices if you can eg a small or medium popcorn instead of a large etc. Perhaps rather than a starter main and dessert just have a main? Etc.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Why not just workout that day to eat more?
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    On days I go out for dinner, I typically eat less snacks during the day so if I go over, it wont be by much. There is nothing wrong with splurging once in a while. Enjoy your night!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eat sensibly throughout the day - one day over (even if it's by a lot) is far from the end of the world. Enjoy your night!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Our family normally has a birthday or holiday celebration once a month. I generally eat a brunch instead of both breakfast and lunch. Then I go enjoy! One meal is not going to make or break your progress. And really drink as much water as you can, because restaurant food/movie food will be loaded with sodium.
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I don't always eat popcorn at the movies but, like I said, it's a special occasion and I do enjoy it :)
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, fast until dinner - I do it all the time when I know i'll be eating crap. I fast for 16hrs every single day but I extend it to 24hrs on those kinds of days. I also recommend this to my clients will great success.

Intermittent fasting - ftw.
    Hello all! I am planning on going out tonight to a fancy restaurant and getting whatever the hell I want, followed by a movie that will likely involve huge amounts of popcorn. I *know* that today is not going to be a good day calories-wise, but it's a special occasion and I'm willing to face a slight setback. To minimize damage, I am wondering whether I should just not really eat anything until dinner (which won't be for another 12 hours! o.0) or whether I should eat like I normally would, with a small breakfast and lunch. Thoughts?
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    [Why not just workout that day to eat more?]

I was planning on going on a 600+ cal burning walk today, but it's raining pretty heavily.
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    go for it enjoy yourself with no guilt