An Open Letter to the "Woe is Me" successes out there

Options
First of all, I may get some backlash for this but I'm okay with that because some of you may just need to hear this....

I've come across a lot of MFPers lately who have the "Woe is Me" syndrome and I want to offer some encouragement and constructive criticism because I know that it's important to be happy with the changes you are making and some of them just aren't.

If you have lost weight or if you are making healthier choices, that is a reason to celebrate, even if you fall off occasionally. Yes, it's important to stick with it and to hold yourself accountable but some are taking that too far and becoming obsessed in an unhealthy way. You may be getting healthier in your body but what are you doing to your self esteem or your mental health? You will fluctuate, you will hit plateaus, you may even be faced with extra skin or not losing in the places you want, but if you are being healthier then you are succeeding. Don't look at yourself and find something new to be disappointed in. Don't feel guilty if you didn't run as far as you did the day before, at least you got off your butt and ran! Don't feel guilty if you were craving that sweet treat or that hamburger, just don't start eating it every day and you will overcome. Don't trade your mental health for a skinny body, you may look better but you certainly won't be happier, and that's the real goal, to feel good about ourselves. Don't look at this as a goal to reach a certain weight but a change in lifestyle that leads to higher endurance, the ability to enjoy activity, the feeling of being happy to go shopping because clothes fit better, the ability to be confident in all aspects of your life because you have acheived the drive and focus to make positive changes in your life against all barriers. Just don't begrudge yourself when you are doing something terrific for yourself by taking control of what you eat and what you can accomplish.

I wish everyone luck in their journeys but most of all I hope that someone out there reads this and realizes that the payoff for using this system is not meant to be an unhealthy obsession with what you eat and do but it is meant to be a tool to assist you in acheiving your goal and finding others who can inspire, encourage, motivate and celebrate your successes along with you, not for you!

Replies

• sharonjean07
    Options
    I love reading the posts like this. I need to hear it, it helps in getting out of the woe is me mode, which I am currently in lol. Thanks!