Snacking at work :(

Options
So, I'm a CNA. If you don't know what that is, I will explain. CNA = Certified Nursing Assistant. I work in a nursing home, I am responsible for 10-14 residents (mostly older people) who cannot help themselves. I clean them, feed them, move them, use lifts to get them out of bed and into wheelchairs, change their briefs (you would know them as Depends), and I normally get hit once or twice a shift.
Either way. I'm on my feet for 8-16 hour shifts. And this girl gets hungry. And not for good food. But snacks. They always have snacks there for us- cookies, cakes, chocolate.
My problem is around 8-9pm, I get the munchies. And I don't know how to avoid them! So, I normally give in to my weakness (chocolate) and have a couple pieces. But, that normally sets my calories WAY out of whack.
How do I stop these cravings? Is there something else I can do to help my self control?

Replies

• KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm a receptionist and at my place of work clients and coworkers bring in food for us ALL the time as well. So I've started bringing my own snacks for everyone like pineapple (smell them to know they're ripe and sweet!), or apples that people can take slices off when they want, or even carrots! It's amazing how quickly everyone will eat up the healthy food versus the unhealthy. Good luck and be strong :)
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel any better, i work in a bulk chocolate store. at work, i open up a 20-30 pound of bulk food (chocolate peanuts, zagnut bars, pretty much any kind of candy a girl could want), and rebag it into 1-pound bags. i am constantly around candy and salty, fatty snacks. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. i pack my lunch religiously, and always include a bunch of snack options....usually two kinds of fruit, veggies, and then something sweet (90 calorie brownie or special k pastry crisps) and something salty (special k cracker chips or a light babybel cheese). i'm more of a snacker than a meal eater, so this way, i have snacks easy and ready to go in my lunchbag...so i have no excuse other than lack of self control to not eat healthy at work.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Take your own healthy snacks and enjoy them instead of the junk offered at work. If chocolate is your weakness find a recipe for something chocolaty, make it & take it to work. fit the calories into your daily plan. Don't let yourself get over-hungry. That is a recipe for disaster.