Body Media Fit

Options
I am considering this device and was just curious how others like it. I have a Fitbit but that got old because it only really measures walking/stairs. I'd like to have something that measures as much movement as possible throughout the day. I love my Polar HRM but obviously only for workouts. If you have a BodyMedia, please share your experience. :happy:

Replies

• NCMeg
    NCMeg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've got the body media link and I love it. I've had it for a little over a month, and it's shown me a lot (I'm more active than I thought I was, and I don't work out nearly as hard as I thought I did, it makes me push harder). I like how it interacts with MFP for feed about about what you are eating, but I don't like the calorie estimate that MFP gives after getting info from my bodymedia, so I try to stick to a 1,000 calorie deficit based on the numbers my bodymedia gives me.
    I've also tried wearing it in my bra band, and it works pretty well that way too! That will come in handy this summer with my sleeveless tops!
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i have both, have been wearing both as comparison. hands down on the bodymedia fit...its more accurate than the fitbit, since it measures to your body. HIGHLY recommend it!
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Recommend it as well. It will help you find how many calories your body will naturally burn even on a sedentary rest day. That way you can more accurately set a target for your calories consumed. Also discovered that calorie burns were WAY over estimated using MFP or even machine counters. Really helped me realize how effective just getting up and walking can be (during tv watching, or marching in place while cooking, etc.). Only thing I don't like is having to wear it on my arm. I've tried it on my calf (as it is much easier to hide under my pants) and it works just as well there.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does it differentiate between total calories burned and then separately for workouts? So I can log the workout itself?
  • Candy1629
    Options
    Recommend it as well. It will help you find how many calories your body will naturally burn even on a sedentary rest day. That way you can more accurately set a target for your calories consumed. Also discovered that calorie burns were WAY over estimated using MFP or even machine counters. Really helped me realize how effective just getting up and walking can be (during tv watching, or marching in place while cooking, etc.). Only thing I don't like is having to wear it on my arm. I've tried it on my calf (as it is much easier to hide under my pants) and it works just as well there.

Does it differentiate between total calories burned and then separately for workouts? So I can log the workout itself?
  • NCMeg
    Options

There is a way to log a work out, and it gives you some good data there (time, steps, calories, total activity and vigorous) so you can log it seperately in MFP..For the bodymedia software it has a running total, including workouts. In the activity manager on line, it gives you good feed back in a graph and it's really easy to see where I am more/less active.
  • Candy1629
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I think I'm sold on it. :happy:
  • jvnoonway
    jvnoonway Posts: 24
    Options
    Love mine too, had it a month now!

In reply to the question if it logs your workout, someone else said there was a way to track your workout, which there is IF you get the LINK and pair it with your bluetooth for the workout. The only issue withthis is that bluetooth drains your arm band QUICKLY.
    SO, rather than keeping it linked, you can go to the graph of calories burned and select a certain time frame. By doing that it will tell you your steps and cals burned during that time. So, just know what time you started and when you ended!

Also, a secret function (not really secret, but not obbious at all) is the report! You can get a report for up to three weeks at a time giving you all your daily averages for each category!
    You will love it!
  • Candy1629
    Options
    Love mine too, had it a month now!

In reply to the question if it logs your workout, someone else said there was a way to track your workout, which there is IF you get the LINK and pair it with your bluetooth for the workout. The only issue withthis is that bluetooth drains your arm band QUICKLY.
    SO, rather than keeping it linked, you can go to the graph of calories burned and select a certain time frame. By doing that it will tell you your steps and cals burned during that time. So, just know what time you started and when you ended!

Also, a secret function (not really secret, but not obbious at all) is the report! You can get a report for up to three weeks at a time giving you all your daily averages for each category!
    You will love it!

So bascially I could still use my HRM for specific calorie burn during workouts and use the BodyMedia to track it for the day, right? I mean, I could do it either way and be pretty accurate?
  • NCMeg
    Options
    It's never drained my battery on my phone nor on my bodymedia very badly to log a workout....I don't (personally) think you need a HRM...that's what the bodymedia is there for. I've had mine for about a month and try to plug it in every day, but there have been a couple of times (If I have left my cord at work and needed at home, and vice versa) where it didn't get plugged in for two or three days and it's done just fine.