Pants size question

Options
I am heavy on the scale - 243. I'm 5'8".
I wear a size 18, tops and bottoms.

My sister in law weighs just over 200, (She's 5'6") but she also wears a size 18.

Standing beside each other, we look like we weigh the same.

I do exercise more than her, and have really nice looking legs and arms compared to hers. In fact, I look more in shape overall, even though I weigh 40 lbs more.

Does anyone else have this dilemma? It's frustrating, because weight loss goals are usually defined as numbers on the scale. But in terms of overall health and shape, I'm ahead of her. When I get down to 200, I will wear between a size 12 and 14. I was there 11 years ago before I got married. I would be happy at that size, but every BMI measurement tool will tell me I'm still on the verge of being morbidly obese.

Thoughts?

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    everyone carries their weight differently. pants are cut differently (if only slightly) by different manufacturers. My friend is about 5'9 and weighs like 140 pounds and wears only one size bigger than me in jeans. Im only 5'4 and 122. I carry my weight on the bottom half, and im short so jeans hit my waist in a different place than hers do. does that make sense?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're all muscle, then someone who's 5'8'' and 200 pounds probably is still overweight at the very least.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 188 lbs, and I'm still size 18, although I can pull them down without undoing the buttons. Some of my 18 pants are too big now. It depends a lot on the brand. The ones that still fit were pretty tight when I was 213 lbs. I would probably fit in size 16's, just saving the money until September (I'll just buy shorts for this Summer). It depends a lot on your body shape. I have most of my fat in my midsection. My fat % is 40, which is less than it should be for my size, too.

Keep in mind that BMI doesn't mean that much, a lot of athletes are considered obese.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 215lbs and I wear a 14-16. My step-sister is 5'7, 220lbs and wears a 20-22 in the same pants. I am hourglass, she's more rectangle/apple, so we carry our weight much differently and depending on the cut of the clothes, wear vastly different sizes. She has to go a couple sizes up to fit her waist, but then her pants are huge everywhere else. My pants are loose in the waist so they will fit my butt and thighs. Everyone's body is different. There are several other ways to measure success in fitness that have nothing to do with weight. I'm more concerned with body fat percentage. Others like to go by inches lost. If the scale really bothers you, get rid of it. It's just a number.

ETA: Extra weight is more obvious on a shorter person, which would also explain why your SIL appears the same size as you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am almost the exact same as you. 2 pounds heavier but can sometimes wear a 16 on top. I have my first goal also set to 200. When I FINALLY get there I plan to maintain and work on body composition before I lose any more.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not quite sure what your "dilemma" is. You're upset that she is shorter, weighs less yet wears the same size clothing?

Focus on you and your own goals and allow her to do the same.

For the record: I'm 5"6' and when I was 201 I wore size 14 or 16.