Can I be happy about this loss?

Options
So Friday is here at last! My official weigh in day! I have been steadily losing since April of last year. I have not been perfect by any means but the trend is ever downwards.

Well darn it if the scale did not freak me out this week! It is reading a 6 pound loss! I have no idea what to make of this number, my last 2 weigh-ins have been slightly low...

There are only a couple of things I did differently this week. One, allergies kicked in like crazy! Two, I only worked out once a day, as opposed to twice a day due to the allergies making me feel crappy. So technically this week I have been netting HIGHER than normal because I did not change my eating at all and worked out less. Three, took a total of 3 Benadryls during the week to combat allergy symptoms. :laugh: . Four, took a nice nap every day.
I was also still drinking lots and lots of water all week.

I had my sister weigh in on my scale to make sure it's not broken.

Do I have your permission to go ahead and do the happy dance for this loss? Or has something gone horribly awry and the scale gods are having a laugh at me? Is it temporary and will I have gained it all back next week? Or is changing up my routine (which it always spot on) doing something great for me? Maybe my body liked me netting higher? GAH I don't know.

SW:310
Last week: 183.6
Today: 177.6.

I recorded it as 179 because I am shifty and suspicious.

Am I just being ridiculous and looking a gift horse in the mouth? I am very temped to cheat and hop back on the scale tomorrow, doing everything I have been doing this week. I need to go take some deep breaths.

Replies

• cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That happens sometimes. I've heard from plenty of folk who had no loss or very little for an entire month, only to jump on the scale one week and find a 5 to 6 pound loss. Our bodies work in mysterious ways, and we don't lose weight evenly. Mine has gotten "stuck" early in the game, but I know I'm doing things right, eating well, not starving myself, and exercising...I expect to see a jump in the scale at some point in time. :smile:
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would record it and keep to your regular weighing schedule. I don't know what your calorie goal is each day but you could be one of those who needs higher calories, but I'd keep where I am for now and see what happens at next week's weigh in. This is what I would do personally.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, Benadryl can jack up my metabolism quite a bit. Also, maybe you've been working out too much. There is such a thing as diminishing returns from exercise past a certain point. Maybe your body really needed this break from twice a day work outs. Similarly, perhaps the naps paid off by making your body feel less stressed.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I have just never seen a loss that big from one week to the next.

I know weight loss is not linear, but I guess that number just freaked me out a bit.

I need to quit over-analyzing it. Just keep doing well in the days to come and see what the scale does next Friday. Even if it does not move again for the next couple of weeks I would be happy. :laugh: (Just not up!)
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If your overall trend is downward that's a good reason to celebrate. Don't care what the scale says on a weekly basis (cause it's lying a little bit to you every time you step on it) but look at the overall picture.

So yes, celebrate!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    And thanks iamlaprell and Red! I will record this loss and maybe I will keep this new schedule over next week. (Oh it is going to be sooo hard not to cheat and weigh in everyday)

Maybe I have been over training. I was usually burning about 300 calories per workout twice a day so maybe my body reacted positively to only doing it once a day and having more calories to use.

And Thank you too missmornie. I wish I had the fortitude to just toss the scale forever but I am such a numbers person. It took a lot of willpower to stop myself weighing everyday and go to only once a week. (Much happier now doing it that way though)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'd TAKE IT!

But just don't beat yourself up if next week you're at the same weight or even a little heavier.

My weight can easily fluctuate by 4 or 5 lbs from one day to the next based on how much fiber, salt, or water I've had, or if I'm a little dehydrated from recent exercise.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Aw shucks even if the scale says the same number next week that would still be a 3 lb per week average loss. Which would be amazing!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking strangers if you can be happy about a loss?! Girl, if you want to be happy, be happy! It's a damn good loss, you deserve to be!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Haha I am just hoping it is not too good to be true! Don't want to jinx myself....:laugh: