TDEE and eating back?

Options
I seem to be at a stall. I have not lost anything in a few weeks(gaining and loosing same 2lbs) Ihave been more active with warm weather back and run/walking 2-3 days a week. I think i have my cals. right but not 100% sure im doing this right. I have TDEG set @1548 (btween sed. and Lightly Active tdee-15%) Am I doing the calculations wrong? DO I need to bump cals up or down? Any help please:smile:

ETA: I like to eat back exercise cals.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating at this level? Are you also taking measurements?

It can take 4-6 weeks to see results. And I went through about six months of going up and down with the same 2-3 lbs, but lost many inches and plenty of fat during that time, dropping a pants size while my scale didn't budge.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE, then exercise calories are already accounted for and you shouldn't be eating them back.

IF you are following MFP, then you are supposed to eat those calories.

What formula did you use to figure TDEE?
  • sararixe
    sararixe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am W-32.5 down to 29 ..Hip-38 to 36 ..Chest 30.5 to 30 ..Th- 23.5 to 22 ...Arm- 12.5 to 12 and thats over a 3 month span. I have been eating between 1450-1550 (i keep changing it) from when I started in early Jan.
  • sararixe
    Options
    I use the fat to fit... I chose the # between Sed. and light because I do differant things everyday and use my HRM for exercise and eat them back
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love your avatar:) I used Scooby's page to calculate, try and see what it give you.
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this eating more stuff, but I've done a lot of reading up on it in the past couple of weeks. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should either eat TDEE-20% (or 15 or whatever you chose) OR you eat back your exercise calories, but not both. The point of TDEE-20% is that it takes into account your exercise calories and spreads them out over the week. If you do both, you're eating double your exercise calories. Hope that helps!
  • sararixe
    Options
    I'm new to all this eating more stuff, but I've done a lot of reading up on it in the past couple of weeks. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should either eat TDEE-20% (or 15 or whatever you chose) OR you eat back your exercise calories, but not both. The point of TDEE-20% is that it takes into account your exercise calories and spreads them out over the week. If you do both, you're eating double your exercise calories. Hope that helps!
    Im a stay at home mom of 5 so im not sitting all day but im not on my feet all day either(laundry,dishes,cleaning) thats why i chose a # between the 2.. I try and do a Jillian Michaels DVD twice a week but sometimes i none.. On average ill burn btween 250-350 on my walk/runs. my workouts are differant everyday so thats why I chose a low TDEE so I can eat back when i do get a good workout in( If that makes any sense)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am just going to start the eating more thing. I dont like the fact I hear people say it takes weeks to see the scale start moving but if I am getting healthier while the scale isnt moving, I am ok with that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom of 5 so im not sitting all day but im not on my feet all day either(laundry,dishes,cleaning) thats why i chose a # between the 2.. I try and do a Jillian Michaels DVD twice a week but sometimes i none.. On average ill burn btween 250-350 on my walk/runs. my workouts are differant everyday so thats why I chose a low TDEE so I can eat back when i do get a good workout in( If that makes any sense)

I think the confusion lies in the the use of the term TDEE. TDEE includes exercise which is why people are assuming you are double logging your exercise. I understand how you did it, you are using a method very similar to MFP's. The term TDEE is throwing people off
  • sararixe
    Options
    SO if I make sure i get my 4-5 hrs of exercise in should I just use the real TDEE method? What if I do yard work for 3 hrs. on any given day? That is where i get messed up
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    SO if I make sure i get my 4-5 hrs of exercise in should I just use the real TDEE method? What if I do yard work for 3 hrs. on any given day? That is where i get messed up

It really does't matter which method you use. Its all basically a starting point. I've found both ways end up to be pretty much the same so long as you estimate activity fairly accurately. I like the eating less on days I don't workout in case I don't get as much exercise in. Others like having a consistent calorie goal.
    The way you are doing it should work as well as long as you aren't over estimating exercise. I have seen some large burns in your diary but you didn't eat all the calories.

I would stick with what you started with for 4-6 weeks. If it isn't working, lower by 100-200 calories and repeat.
    Before I raise or lower calories, I would ensure you that you are logging everything and logging accurately (again, I didn't see anything in your diary that makes me think you aren't, you consistently log all meals and every day). I don't know how you measure but you want to make sure on that end too.
  • sararixe
    Options
    I do have a food scale to make sure i know what im eating and do my best to keep on track lol.. The days I have the high burns was yard work days and I had on my HRM but was to affraid to eat them all back. So what im doing seems to be ok then?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I do have a food scale to make sure i know what im eating and do my best to keep on track lol.. The days I have the high burns was yard work days and I had on my HRM but was to affraid to eat them all back. So what im doing seems to be ok then?

Looks good to me. I mean from what I can see. I'm not sure how long you have been doing it but give it reasonable time, then make adjustments if its not working.
    I would also suggest takin measurements and photos. They show way more progress than the scale.
  • jen2679
    jen2679 Posts: 3
    Options
    So pretty much you can do one or the other I just did the math and either way Kind of works out to the same. I guess to me it is a matter of how you want to do it Right?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    So pretty much you can do one or the other I just did the math and either way Kind of works out to the same. I guess to me it is a matter of how you want to do it Right?

It's always worked out to be pretty much the same for me to. If you estimate right it should. It comes down to preference - a few more calories on days you workout or same number everyday.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Personally I prefer using the sedentary setting with a 1lbs loss a week for my deficit and log my exercise separately so I know what I can eat :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's always worked out to be pretty much the same for me to. If you estimate right it should. It comes down to preference - a few more calories on days you workout or same number everyday.

It works out pretty much the same for me...I always tell people that ultimately the MFP method (NEAT method) and TDEE method are just two different methods to the same end...the net effect is pretty much the same. When I did MFP and ate back exercise calories, I was grossing the same as I'm eating with the TDEE method. It's 6 of 1 really.

A lot of people prefer the NEAT method because they are new to exercise and don't keep a consistent routine...their burns are all over the place, etc. It is beneficial for them to use their NEAT and then just add in exercise to get to their gross calories. Once I really got into a routine and consistent calorie burn (not daily, but over the course of a week, I burn pretty much the same calories with exercise week to week) it was just a pain in the *kitten* to log and have to adjust what I was eating for the day. Now it's just set. I have days where my deficit is bigger and days when it's smaller...but it averages out to 3,500 calories deficit in a week to lose 1 Lb.

Just pick a method and stick with it and stick with a number and be patient. When you're constantly changing things around you're not letting enough time pass to see what's working and what isn't.
  • sararixe
    Options
    so ya then i guess im just doing a little of both :) I will stay at the 1548 for a little bit longer and see what my body does.. Thanks Guys
  • jen2679
    jen2679 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for the help!!! I saw a personal trainer and He said I was pretty on with My calories he recommended I deficit 1000 a day for quicker results however I am staying at my 1823 cals a day since I just switched it last week. I am curious to see how the eat more weigh less works:) I was at 1510 a day and was stuck at a plateau for a month or more so we will see! I have changed my activity levels as I workout 4 to 5 days a week So it makes sense I guess to eat more!
  • sararixe
    Options
    Just a little update :happy: I uped my cals. to 1645 and have lost 3lbs. I gues my body needed more :blushing: I eat the 1645 on days i do not workout but on the days that i do I will eat up to 1845. Just 6-11 pounds to go!! I need to firm up then i will know what goal weight to be.