The all falmous low carb diets- thoughts?

Options
13»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a college course on nutrition. It is a biology course and really goes in depth into the way your body processes food chemically and what have you. Taking this course has scared the bejabbers out of me, especially regarding low-carb diets. Glucose is the basis of every chemical, cellular and metabolic activity in which the body partakes. When we get too little carbs, the body has to resort to breaking down proteins (mainly muscle tissue) to create a glucose alternative. Contrary to what Atkins says, when the body starts throwing ketones it is from protein breakdown, not fat burning.

Healthy carbs are whole grains, fruits, brown rice, and vegetables; unhealthy carbs are processed sugar, white potatoes, refined white flour. I do believe that too many carbs can increase your tendency to gain weight, but too few can be quite harmful as well.

If you want to cut back on your carb grams eliminate the unhealthy carbs and see what happens. If you aren't satisfied, then gradually reduce a few more grams until you feel better.

this is much more sensible than the drastic all or nothing approaches out there-

and didn't cavemen die at the ripe old age of about 30? if they were lucky?

Cave men didn't die due to illness and such. They died at young ages due to falling victim to bigger animals. There is much research that their bones were stronger and no signs of illness.

We haven't evolved that much for our bodies to handle grains. Grains are nothing but irritants to the human body.

any nomadic lifestyle is going to develop strong thick bones. That doesn't mean they didn't have heart attacks, which wouldn't be evident from the fossil record. The bones can't tell the entire story on nutrition levels.

If grains lead to obesity, why is China, (who consumes rice at an amazing rate) so slim?

Slimmer does not = healthier............
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Your body does need carbs.

Will you lose weight on a low carb diet? Yes, but it WILL come back eventually if you go back to the same eating patterns. All it does is cause temporary water weight loss, which will come back once you start eating the carbs again.

Once you go into ketosis, your body will be weak, it will be difficult to work out, you will be tired, irritable, have fuzzy brain among other things (like bad breath, bathroom issues, etc..).

If you follow the slow and steady pattern, you will eventually lose weight. Low carb is a quick fix and can be terribly unhealthy.

Oh to the Contrary...............

I am not going back to the Standard American Diet, so therefore my eating plan will always be similar to how I am eating today.

And as for the statement about ketosis and being weak, that is a GRAND Fallacy.............I currently have more energy, clearer thinking, not tired, I have more endurance to work out.............

I don't mind the breath - that is what drinking plenty of water and chewing mint leaves is for.

Low Carbing is NOT a quick fix, it is a lifestyle change to a natural eating plan, void of processed foods.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Regarding ketosis: in itself, it's not bad, but it's dependent on the level of ketone bodies present in the blood. We all have ketone bodies present in the blood to some degree - the degree varies with other factors including diet, prolonged hunger, suckling (i.e. an infant), diabetic conditions, exercise, fasting...etc. I'm a bit confused as to why there's so much confusion in itself about what it is, how it works, and how it affects the body.

I was going to come in here and give a scientific speech on what it is, how it works, and what it means for the brain, but everyone will just come blasting and disagree with everything I post, regardless of whether it's pulled directly from a biology textbook, so what's the point? If you're concerned about it, do some research on Google. In fact, research the name Dr. Richard Veech for several full-text journal articles. He's basically Grandpa Ketosis.

I'm out of ketosis at about 71/g (total) carbohydrate per day. From there I'm in mild or non-existent ketosis - AKA normal level. Mild-moderate ketosis for me = steady weight loss. Maintenance level means mild to non-existent. My carb intake varies proportionately with desired weight loss rate and my rate of fitness.

And seriously people, unless you're actually testing this personally along with your health stats (i.e. blood sugar, weight, daily Ketostix testing) , don't make sweeping generalizations like "Low carb is bad!" or "you need 130 grams of carbohydrate/day to survive" Realize that the majority who "live low carb" EAT CARBS at some level. They probably also eat a diet higher in fat and with moderate protein. Look at my food diary and WHOA! Lookie there, folks! I EAT CARBS to correspond to my activity level. Sometimes (like yesterday) I have cheat days with an unGodly amount of carbohydrate (220 grams).

Everyone has different needs. Let's leave it there.

I eat carbs too, just mostly veggies and a bit of fruit................I don't need beans, legumes or grains.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I know a few people that actually do 0 carb and they are way healthier, leaner and more fit than I ever thought about being.

Works for them.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that actually do 0 carb and they are way healthier, leaner and more fit than I ever thought about being.

Works for them.

I do, too, but that's just opening up another s***storm that we don't even need here :(
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Works for them.

I do, too, but that's just opening up another s***storm that we don't even need here :(

That is true. i will keep it quiet as kept.