Different HRM question...

Options
So I have finally purchased a HRM and in the manual it talks about heart rate zones and to be in a fat burning zone I need to be working at 60-70% of my max heart rate. The standard age based max heart rate is to take 220 minus your age (30) which makes mine AROUND 190. The questions is that 60-70% of that seems VERY low. I feel like I am barely breaking a sweat at that heart rate. Should I even pay attention to heart rate zones or should I just exercise like normal and have an average of 80% of my max heart rate. BTW.... I know the 190 is just an estamate and I can do fit tests to figure it out for sure but it can't be too far off... I am pretty average I think.

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    that whole "fat burning zone" is BS. Get your HR up and keep it up.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I tend to agree with this. Just get moving! If you want to improve your heart, then work out hard enough to breath hard and keep it that way for a while. But any kind of exercise above and beyond your 'normal' is going to make a difference, regardless of your heart rate....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I generally agree.

There are advantages to using the zones for highly competitive/accomplished athletes, and maybe for people who are really lean and looking to get leaner (though I'm not sure here). But most people just need to worry about busting their *kitten* every time they workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of misunderstanding around the so called "fat burning zone".
    You burn a higher proportion of fat at low intensity but obviously it takes longer to burn the same number of calories as you would if you trained at high intensity.
    If you are building endurance then it's a good way to start off your season.

Here's a link to an article that describes heart rate zone training very well....
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

Here's a link to a zone calculator..... (zones 1 & 2 would be what you would be aiming for).
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html
  • KristieWat
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I definitely want more calories burned so I think I will just keep busting my *kitten* until I get to my goal weight. Then I can look more in to the heart rate zones for improving things like stamina, endurance and just general awesomeness! Thank you again! Much appreciated!