Cheap Food Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    also you coul buy the fattier ground meat and just drain it since the leaner counter part cost more. i do it all the time
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast is a good cookbook for quick meals that are very tasty but require few ingredients.

I've been making many meals from it lately and most do leave leftovers for the next couple of days.

Emmalee :smile:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    One thing I love to do is when the stores have whole chickens on sale, I buy 2 or 3, and as soon as I get home I roast them, then I package all the chicken into single serving portions and freeze it. Use the carcass for broths and soup starters, the chicken I have for stir-fry, fajitas, for my salads, etc.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Barilla plus pasta and your favorite pasta sauce. It's high protein (made from legumes), so no need to add a protein. You can added canned tomatoes or diced and sautéed zuccini

Barilla plus pasta with peanut butter sauce and a bag of frozen veggies ( really good with broccoli and carrots)

Stirfry vegetables with rice

Tomato rice and chicken soup (crockpot)

Vegetarian chili- beans, seasoning, onion, celery, mushrooms, canned diced tomatoes. Really cheap and makes lots. (crockpot)

Eggs, fruit, and toast

Vegetable soup (crockpot)

Potatoes with broccoli and cheese
  • jbludorn
    jbludorn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy/cheap meal (with Trader Joe's prices):
    1 can black beans (drained) $0.89
    1 can tuna $1.29
    1 cup frozen corn $2.29 for the 2.5 cup bag
    1 lemon squeezed over top $0.49
    cayenne pepper, black pepper

Serve over spinach salad or eat on its own. Serves 2+ for less than $5.

Also, big pork loins. Usually once per month grocery stores will put these on sale for <$2/lb. That's when I stock up. So many recipe options!
  • hjohnson1974
    Options
    This site is amazing for new recipe ideas... Thanks Ken! http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/turkey-sausage-arugula-pasta and you can search for "kid friendly" and "budget friendly" and "quick and easy" under "conveniences".
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is fairly cheap, and there's lots of ways you can spruce it up.
  • healthy4five
    healthy4five Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    save