Not FEELING the Squat Challenge

2»

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    How much weight are you adding? If none, then it really stops becoming 'strength training' after something like... a week. And is about as effective as walking at getting you stronger/fitter after that.

The squat challenge is only with body weight, However I do squats outside of the challenge w/ a barbell set w/ weights too.

Are you saying the only time it's affective is if I use weights?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The squat challenge is sort of a beginner thing for people who are strangers to real exercise to sort of segue into it. If you have the resources and ability, you will do MUCH better doing a basic lifting routine that incorporates barbell squats.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    How much weight are you adding? If none, then it really stops becoming 'strength training' after something like... a week. And is about as effective as walking at getting you stronger/fitter after that.

The squat challenge is only with body weight, However I do squats outside of the challenge w/ a barbell set w/ weights too.

Supplementing your weighted squats with the squat challenge is actually counterproductive to results. You're denying the body rest it needs. Plus if you can bang out THAT many you're just not getting any strength benefit.
  • nashai01
    The squat challenge is sort of a beginner thing for people who are strangers to real exercise to sort of segue into it. If you have the resources and ability, you will do MUCH better doing a basic lifting routine that incorporates barbell squats.

Ok thanks!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    In the squat you're not really squatting down, so much as you are pushing your hips backwards and sitting down. If that makes any sense. You're probably feeling it in your quads for two reasons. One, it's something new and you definitely work your quads in the squat. Two, your form probably needs to be a little bit better. Try holding your arms out in-front of you while you're doing them and push them hips back.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member

You need to add more resistance. This can be accomplished easily with a barbell.
    But for bodyweight, there's still a LOT of room to grow without touching weights. For example: Split squats and pistol squats.
  • nashai01
    You need to add more resistance. This can be accomplished easily with a barbell.
    But for bodyweight, there's still a LOT of room to grow without touching weights. For example: Split squats and pistol squats.

I had to look up split squats and pistol squats. I'll try those tomorrow

Thanks
  • On Day 6. Doing it with my 14 yr old daughter. She is more sore than me...heeheee. Everyday it is getting harder.