Slow and steady wins the race!

Options
Like every year for the past 6-7 years, my resolution at the beginning of the year was to exercise and lose weight. Every other year I failed, because I never had the willpower or the desire to make it happen. This year, I created a group with my friends and we all decided to do this together. We all have different amounts of weight to lose - some less than others - but we keep each other motivated! At the beginning of this year, and just a month and a half from my 30th birthday, I weighed 245 lbs, which is the heaviest I have ever been.

Growing up I was a soccer player and was always active 7 days a week. When I stopped playing, I kept eating like I was still active, and 8 years later, I was a mess. My group and I decided to take on the Couch to 5k plan - and we are running our first 5k this weekend! We've taken Zumba classes and what started out with a once a week class has turned into 4 days a week, and sometimes we'll do it on our own have a good time! I've learned that I don't need to eat all the crap I used to eat to feel satisfied, and that I can still eat what I love so long as it's in moderation. Suffice to say (contrary to my tracker down below, because I started on MFP after I lost a bit of weight) I am down 25lbs and feeling great!

I went to Old Navy the other day, and normally I hate clothes shopping - nothing like trying on stuff you thought would fit or look cute and on me it only makes me look like a cow - but this time, everything I tried on I liked! And I looked decent! I still have a long ways to go - my first huge goal is to get to 165 which would put me back around where I was in college. After that, we'll see where it goes!

I was always watching others around me stick to their diets and lose weight - and I always felt ashamed. Why couldn't I do it? Why was I going in the wrong direction? Sometimes, we just need to find that extra strength that gets hidden in ourselves and bring it out. It's amazing the confidence you get when you start doing something good for yourself!

So to everyone who's gone before me, thanks for your inspiration! Seeing everyone else do it has helped me stay on track! And to all those who come after - keep pushing! It didn't take any of us 2 weeks to get to where we were at our worst, and it won't take 2 weeks to fix it. Keep going - and take every little victory that you can! :)

I wish I had taken a picture of me before and after, but I avoided being near a camera (other than behind one, since I'm a photographer). The weight around my neck and chin has dissipated, and I have a bit of a waist again!

Lets go Ladies and Gents! We can do this! :)

Happy Healthy Living everyone!!

Athina

Replies

• metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    slow and steady always wins out it goes back to the story of the tortoise and the hare :)
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    good for you! what a great start :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!