Daal recipe?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I thought I hated lentils, until I had the deliciousness that is daal at an Indian restaurant. I am looking for a relatively easy recipe here, even if it isn't completely authentic. A crockpot recipe would be best. Please post whether YOU liked it, and whether you served it to other people or not, and if they liked it. Calories and fat content aren't really a concern.

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe this is too specific for MFP. I guess I will use google and look at the comments. They always change things though. "It's good, and I only changed half the ingredients!"
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There can be many types of daal..was this a yellow daal?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favourite dahl. Super easy to make and I always cook it in a crockpot.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/best-ever-dahl-L2815.html

I've fed it to loads of people and they've always enjoyed it.
  • von13nie
    von13nie Posts: 39
    Options
    This is the Dahl Lentil recipe my Indian friend gave me. It serves 6 with each serving running at 377 calories with the MFP recipe maker. This calorie count does not include the flat bread or garnish.

Dahl (Lentil Soup)
    1 large diced onion
    5-6 cloves garlic chopped
    3 diced tomatoes
    8 cups chicken stock
    400 g dried lentils (mung beans)
    1 tbsp ginger (optional)
    Masala Paste – use for all Indian Dishes
    1 tsp chilli powder
    2 tbsp curry powder
    1 tbsp cumin
    2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp salt
    2-3 tbsp tomato paste (70g)

Boil lentils for 45 – 60 minutes in chicken stock until they are soft and fairly dissolved. Check water level occasionally and add if necessary. Do not add too much water as the mix should be thick.
    Masala Paste - Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan and sauté onions until they are soft, add garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Once cooked add turmeric and toast for a few seconds. Add curry powder, cumin, salt, and chilli powder. Stir.
    Add tomatoes and cook on medium heat then add tomato paste and equal amount of water. Once the oil starts to separate it is done.
    Add the masala paste to the pot of lentils and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Serve with rice or flat bread. Garnish with coriander.
  • reachme
    reachme Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,

we can make daal/dahl with any lentil and there are many variations. I'm posting a link for you, hoping it might help you.

http://chefinyou.com/2008/12/tadka-dal-recipe/

The most basic version that I make contains mung beans, cumin seeds, salt and water.

thanks
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian, this is a recipe for standard everyday daal:

1 cup of washed masoor daal
    5 cups of water
    3/4tsp turmeric powder
    3/4 tsp red chili powder
    salt to taste

Add everything to a pot & let it boil, then lower it to medium heat, & cook for 20 min. If its too thick you can add up to a cup of boiling water.
    Sautee onion in oil, brown a bit & then add ginger & cook on low for a few min. Pour on top of daal and add fresh sliced green chilis.

Daal is a very basic food - sweet potatoes, coconut milk etc do NOT go in it!
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump, i love lentils and curry
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options

5 cups of water
    3/4tsp turmeric powder
    3/4 tsp red chili powder
    salt to taste

Add everything to a pot & let it boil, then lower it to medium heat, & cook for 20 min. If its too thick you can add up to a cup of boiling water.
    Sautee onion in oil, brown a bit & then add ginger & cook on low for a few min. Pour on top of daal and add fresh sliced green chilis.

In my house we do this as well, often times we dont put ginger but we add a few cloves of garlic that as been browned in oil as well and lightly fried dried chillies.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have the bestest dahl recipe ever that I got from an island on the Great Barrier Reef from back packers that were in India and shared it with the owner of the place we stayed. If you don't find a good one let me know and I'll go search for it.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have the bestest dahl recipe ever that I got from an island on the Great Barrier Reef from back packers that were in India and shared it with the owner of the place we stayed. If you don't find a good one let me know and I'll go search for it.

don't tease, go search!! :tongue:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    B-b-b-b-bump!
  • mockchoc
    Options

Thanks a lot you. We will have to have a dahloff now! Honestly though I will try yours but mine is amazing.
  • mockchoc
    Options

don't tease, go search!! :tongue:

Ok going to look. It'll take me a while... I'm so unorganised! groan..this is worth it though when you taste it. It is AMAZING!!!!!!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, they are cooked the same
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

5 cups of water
    3/4tsp turmeric powder
    3/4 tsp red chili powder
    salt to taste

This is how it is made
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, they are cooked the same

Umm... no. No they're not...
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump. keen on lentils.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://laylaanwarkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/chana-dhal-or-yellow-split-peas.html This one is really good - I've cooked it several times and it's very easy but because it uses yellow split peas the cooking takes time....red lentils are much quicker and this looks like a pretty sensible recipe but I haven't tried it :)