No more wheat - for me

Options
Before anyone starts bashing wheat free diets and the (Wheat Belly) book, I am allergic to wheat and gluten. This is why I am not eating it anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with eliminating wheat because of allergies and seen positive changes/weight loss? So far, my excema is completely cleared up. Add me as a friend if you are wheat free :)

Replies

• anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had to go gluten free due to celiac disease, and it was really hard. I'm not going to lie, I cheated a lot after the first month, mostly because I missed real pizza and toast... but in those first three weeks I immediately dropped 25 lbs and felt sooo much better. It is hard at first, but once you get into it you rarely think about those old foods. I've been gluten free for a little over a year.

Some food tips:
    Best GF bread: Rudi's. By far. mmmmm... so good.
    Pizza is difficult, as it is hard to make a really good GF crust, as the best crusts have high-gluten flour. I never found a boxed one I liked that much, but I had a home-made one and it was good. Just have to look up good recipes for the right ratios of GF flours to add to your crust.

Rice is yummy. That is all.

Oats are technically GF, in essence. They contain gluten, but it is not the same as that which is in bread. It bothers some people, but not others. However, you have to buy oats made to be GF, as most commercial oats are contaminated at factory.
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to wheat or gluten, but made a decision that starting Monday I'm going to TRY and eliminate the wheat and gluten from my diet to see if I feel better. I eat pretty clean, but LOVE bread which is why I feel my weight loss is slow.

Feel free to add me and we can try this together!
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic to wheat, oats, soy, eggs, a whole bunch of stuff basically and he's almost skin and bones... but trust me this little kid can put it down. I feed him quinoa (it's a great alternative to wheat) and gluten free of course. I also feed him rice and for breakfast, he eats quinoa (grain form) I give it to him like oatmeal... add sugar and peaches. he loves it. I've had it too! I'm not wheat free by the way, but I have significantly eliminated wheat, because it just sits there and I think quinoa is much better for us.

Anywho, have you tried sphaghetti squash? I've been eating it all week and it's been great. A great alternative to wheat noodles. There is also a lot of bread products by EnerG and Rudy's that are gluten free... But get ready for it to pinch your wallet, because it's very expensive...VERY expensive to eat gluten free, but for health reasons, you get used to it. Also if you get into baking, check out Almond flour and check out Paleo recipes
  • debasketlady
    Options
    Have you tried the Ancient Harvest quinoa? There are lots of cool recipes preparing it both hot and cold.
    Also, the Ancient Harvest Brand makes quinoa pasta, which is actually good! I've tried the rotini, spaghetti, and elbows. Look for a light blue box at the grocery store.
    Wishing you luck!
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weight loss - no. I mean, have you tried really good GF cupcakes yet? I wish I had been eating those even before developing an intolerance to gluten.

Other changes - sure. I have more energy, I am waaaay less bloated, and, let's just say everything in the digestive area has improved significantly. I have a mild intolerance though, not an allergy. I still have my tastes of regular beer once in a while, and if I have something with a little wheat in it (soy sauce, for example), I don't really have issues. It's more the quantity and type of food I eat with gluten.

There are GF versions of just about everything out there, and they taste just as good or better.
  • kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did some research shortly before going wheat and grain-free. The biggest attraction was the possibility of eliminating acid reflux from our diet, reducing other small maladies and reducing my husband's chance of one day being diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

Currently, we both have been wheat & grain-free for 3 months and have seen HUGE improvements in our health, marked weight-loss, including losing body-fat. Personally, I sleep better, I stopped taking my acid reflux meds, my asthma has all but disappeared, and I have had NO sinus infections (which is life-changing, as I used to get them at least every 2 months or so). Most importantly, I do not have anymore food cravings, nor do I go on food-specific binges (i.e., like eating tons of sweets, ice cream, you name it). I've tried going back and have always felt horrible the next day, so this is definitely a lifestyle change for me. :wink:

I'd love to have other wheat-free friends on here, so feel free to add me! :smile:
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recommend this bread if you like bread. It has crunchy bits of millet and has awesome texture. Actually holds up well for sandwiches.

udis_gluten_free_millet-chia_bread_2.jpg
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I eat primal, one of the biggest parts being eliminating grains/anything with gluten. I haven't ever been diagnosed with wheat allergies or the like but I can tell you that I see/feel a HUGE difference! My skin is glowing and my acne has just about cleared all the way up. Periods aren't nearly as bad. I feel more energized, I sleep better, I've lost weight obviously, and I currently have what my gastro thinks is some sort of gallbladder issue and i'm having less problems with it now as well. The list just goes on.

Though you didn't mention being primal/paleo, I'd recommend checking out these 3 websites for GF recipes.
    Paleomg.com
    civilizedcookingcreations.com
    marksdailyapple.com

=)
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too am wheat free I use tapioca flour if I have to have a sauce and am vegetarian too. I ate some home made pear crumble the other day and was sick as a dog the next. So won't be going there again. My wall is always 70kg and I am hoping that this time I can get through it. I have found that by not eating meat I don't miss pasta, bread, rice and if I am desperate for something sweet will stick to gluten free almond and walnut cakes which are delicious. For snacks I love homemade curried aubergine and coconut with a bit of curry powder and I really like dosas make with chickpea and speltflour. I haven't had maccas or soft drinks for over a year now and don't think i could handle it anymore. I find cauliflower mash is a great base for lots of recipes it thickens soups and casseroles, makes a great topping and i have even used it to make fritters with grated vegetables and almonds.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did some research shortly before going wheat and grain-free. The biggest attraction was the possibility of eliminating acid reflux from our diet, reducing other small maladies and reducing my husband's chance of one day being diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

Currently, we both have been wheat & grain-free for 3 months and have seen HUGE improvements in our health, marked weight-loss, including losing body-fat. Personally, I sleep better, I stopped taking my acid reflux meds, my asthma has all but disappeared, and I have had NO sinus infections (which is life-changing, as I used to get them at least every 2 months or so). Most importantly, I do not have anymore food cravings, nor do I go on food-specific binges (i.e., like eating tons of sweets, ice cream, you name it). I've tried going back and have always felt horrible the next day, so this is definitely a lifestyle change for me. :wink:

I'd love to have other wheat-free friends on here, so feel free to add me! :smile:

I notice that any grain that has gluten provokes acid-reflux in me, not just wheat. I have one slice of rye bread toast on my heavy exercise days and I have heartburn the rest of the day! If I stay gluten-free, no problem.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat by my meter because I am diabetic. Unfortunately, wheat and grain realy spike my BG. So no I do not eat it. My Diabetes is now controlled and I have lost quite a bit of weight too.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used a primal food plan (lower carb/wheat and grain-free) when I started my weight loss journey just over two years ago. I'm not particularly gluten intolerant, but In addition to steady weight loss, acid reflux has resolved (no meds required after about 3-4 months), and the pain in my knee and thumb joints has decreased substantially. I don't get sick from wheat, so I occasionally have the small amount in an ultra-thin crust pizza or cheesecake crust, but I no longer eat bread or other baked goods. Since I eat lower carb, I don't substitute gluten-free bread or pasta. Spaghetti squash is a great pasta substitute, and thin zucchini slices work fine as noodles in any lasagne recipe.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in October 2012. The year before, I gained 30 pounds in a month because of this disease, so I thought I would drop the weight right away when going GF.

This wasn't the case. Because I was doing so much research into what I COULD eat, I was loading up on GF versions of breads, cookies, pastries, etc and I gained even more weight!!

I started seriously trying to lose weight in Jan of this year. I had to empty my freezer of my EXPENSIVE GF breads. I now just eat without the GF alternatives. I don't eat sandwiches any more. I just put deli meats on top of a salad. I eat more vegetables, rice, potatoes.

I love talking about my Gluten issues, so friend me if you want :) My husband hates when I talk about it. lol

I also have a thyroid issue, so my weight loss is very slow, but it is also very steady :)

I had a lot of nutrient deficiencies because of CD and it is taking a long time to recover that.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lacyjay1999
    lacyjay1999 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to the gluten/wheat free diet myself. Celiac Disease.. diagnosed in February 2013. Add me if you want to see my diet too!! (I try SUPER hard not to cheat)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks going gluten free... no more bloating feeling awesome, stomach aches went away. I sent you a FR!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in October 2012. The year before, I gained 30 pounds in a month because of this disease, so I thought I would drop the weight right away when going GF.

This wasn't the case. Because I was doing so much research into what I COULD eat, I was loading up on GF versions of breads, cookies, pastries, etc and I gained even more weight!!

I started seriously trying to lose weight in Jan of this year. I had to empty my freezer of my EXPENSIVE GF breads. I now just eat without the GF alternatives. I don't eat sandwiches any more. I just put deli meats on top of a salad. I eat more vegetables, rice, potatoes.

I love talking about my Gluten issues, so friend me if you want :) My husband hates when I talk about it. lol

I also have a thyroid issue, so my weight loss is very slow, but it is also very steady :)

I had a lot of nutrient deficiencies because of CD and it is taking a long time to recover that.

A lower carb diet is supposed to be helpful to restore thyroid function. Have you experienced an improvement in your hypothyroidsm? I usually try to stay between 70 to 110 grams of carbohydrate a day.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am GF because of celiac, I lost a ton when we removed all gluten from our diet but I have not sought out substitutes at all, so no pastas, breads, pizza. We eat lots of veggies, some quinoa, lean meats, and also strength train.

I lost 40lbs since going GF a year ago, strangely enough this is how I found out I was celiac. All the symptoms of the last 25 years disappeared over night, my BP regulated, my gastoral attacked were gone, and all the other related health problems I was having. All symptoms of celiac but not one doctor ever checked me for that or suggested dietary changes to try and control all the health issues I was having.

Best thing that ever happened to me.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    When I ate wheat and other grains, I was always hungry. When I stopped eating them, I stopped feeling hungry and sometimes I forget to eat. It's made a huge difference in my life.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The best GF pasta is corn and rice. Whole Foods has some but also Walmart carries Heartland which is what Macaroni Grille serves.