• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Dairy, nonfat only.

Nooooooooo, eat the fat!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't done too much research into the official meaning of "Clean Eating" but to me its food with 1 ingredient and no chemicals

So chicken is chicken
    beef is well beef
    Tomato is a tomato and so on and so forthe

Whereas cereal, frozen foods, packaged foods etc is a combination of ingredients we cannot pronounce.

Now i've made crackers. Which store bought is a complete no-no but i made my crackers from whole ingredients. Which still makes it food that is clean.

I'm not sure if I explained that well or not :S

So triscuits and fritos are clean, then?

I reread my post to make sure I didn't make a mistake but no triscuits and fritos are definitely not clean. I said store bought were complete no-nos
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's an obnoxious term that means eating whole, unprocessed, real foods only.

Does this include making a cake from scratch?

ETA: with butter churned myself from our cows' milk, of course

Anyone care to answer this? It's a serious question!
    Clean eating is ambiguous therefore any answer is in the realm of reality. Making a cake from scratch, adding whole ingredients like butter is perfectly fine, but that's just my opinion. My vegan friend on the other hand would have physical symptoms of anxiety and stress just looking at the butter, seriously and where I would see tofu a popular ingredient for her, totally unacceptable as a food, period.
  • jchenks
    Options

Clean eating is ambiguous therefore any answer is in the realm of reality. Making a cake from scratch, adding whole ingredients like butter is perfectly fine, but that's just my opinion. My vegan friend on the other hand would have physical symptoms of anxiety and stress just looking at the butter, seriously and where I would see tofu a popular ingredient for her, totally unacceptable as a food, period.

ButI dont think she can win the argument that its not a clean food. Do you? Some people would use margarine (because they can make "light" versions of it in place of the butter.) If you are eating clean and making a cake from scratch you would use butter not margarine and (in my opion) you are still eating clean.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

ButI dont think she can win the argument that its not a clean food. Do you? Some people would use margarine (because they can make "light" versions of it in place of the butter.) If you are eating clean and making a cake from scratch you would use butter not margarine and (in my opion) you are still eating clean.
    Well, the problem with clean eating at the source is in the dissection of nutritional information where biases are formed where some ingredients are therefore deemed good or bad. Margarine use to be considered good by the majority of people because it doesn't contain cholesterol or animal saturated fats, which was considered deleterious to our overall health, and btw many still believe this. Over the last 5 years or so trans fats, bleached and deodorized vegetable oils aka refined, and the susceptibility of polyunsaturated fats which is used to make margarine to oxidize and form free radicals has brought about more critical thinking and research by the general public and butter is coming out on top as the healthier choice by those that have done that further research. The manufacturers of margarine of course know this and market products that appear healthier than previous versions. All I know is the margarine selection is huge compared to the butter selection and sales are much greater, so to the general population margarine is the healthier option. See how ambiguous this is.
  • jchenks
    Options

Well, the problem with clean eating at the source is in the dissection of nutritional information where biases are formed where some ingredients are therefore deemed good or bad. Margarine use to be considered good by the majority of people because it doesn't contain cholesterol or animal saturated fats, which was considered deleterious to our overall health, and btw many still believe this. Over the last 5 years or so trans fats, bleached and deodorized vegetable oils aka refined, and the susceptibility of polyunsaturated fats which is used to make margarine to oxidize and form free radicals has brought about more critical thinking and research by the general public and butter is coming out on top as the healthier choice by those that have done that further research. The manufacturers of margarine of course know this and market products that appear healthier than previous versions. All I know is the margarine selection is huge compared to the butter selection and sales are much greater, so to the general population margarine is the healthier option. See how ambiguous this is.
    [/quote]

Yes, yes I do. So i suppose to each their own? Do your own research on clean eating and decide what you think it is and what is best for you and follow that?

Edit: I missed a [ /quote] somewhere and i'm choosing not to fix it haha
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to most people just means organic, non processed (whatever that means), blah blah blah. It's a useless term mostly thrown around to make people feel better about themselves and what they're eating. This article by Alan Aragon (dietary guru IMHO) sums it up nicely.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    so is wheat flour, pasta, bread considered clean? Dairy - only full fat or any? raw?

Not sure about dairy- I know alot of people drink Almond milk...is that considered dairy? idk

Most people think that they are eating "clean" by buying whole grain bread... but unless it is 100% whole grain, its not really whole grain.

Almond milk would not be dairy as it does not come from an animal's teat.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's whatever you want it to be
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Well, I don't think there is any mandate to eat the single food items each by itself! You are allowed to cook with them, bake with them, but the point it that they started out whole and minimally processed and then YOU combine them into "clean" meals.

But as everyone else has already said, there is no one set-in-stone meaning for the term, and to some people it's offensively holier-than-thou.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I def didn't eat clean today
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own personal meaning for "clean eating".

FOR ME, it means just eating foods that are:

● non-gmo (i use a barcode & PLU scanner app)

● organic

● unprocessed or unrefined

Which is what i personally eat 99% of the time. It may seem like a bit much, but it works for ME.

I make majority of my own food. So i still get to eat REAL butter, cheese, pasta, & etc. :drinker: