milk: what do you drink?

Options

Replies

• Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Glass of Non-Fat milk every morning. No animal has to suffer for it any more than a mother has to suffer for giving her infant breastmilk.

Oops, sounded like I was picking on Irishh. I wasn't.
  • irishhh
    irishhh Posts: 11
    Options
    Glass of Non-Fat milk every morning. No animal has to suffer for it any more than a mother has to suffer for giving her infant breastmilk.

Ahh I was about to say! lol
  • Vallandingham
    Options

Ahh I was about to say! lol

In addition, and I've said this before, you can pick any nutritional subject and you can find a study, report, article that will expound the benefits of it and another that will tell you why it's bad for you.

There are far worse things that you can do for yourself than have a glass of nonfat milk each morning.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There is some exciting emerging research in this area that does suggest that women in particular lost more weight (particularly from around their middle) if they incorporated 3 serves of low fat dairy into their calorie-restricted diet. They don't know the exact mechanism yet but they believe it has to do with the calcium content so your calcium fortified milk-substitutes should also have the same effect.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know lots of media is trying to advertise milk as a magic product, but it is not all that great for most people. Many people are lactose intolerant, and they cannot lose weight, feel sluggish and tired just because of consuming milk (or other dairy products) without realizing the consequences.

In fact, milk that is sold at the stores, is pasteurized and homogenized. Which means, all the enzymes that help digest foods in our bodies are gone once the milk is pasteurized. Cow's milk is a questionable product in general. But the only cow's milk that is relatively better -- that is raw (which means unpasteurized/unheated) milk with enzymes in it. You can get it from local farmers.

What's most frustrating to people is that "big guys" advertise and tell us to drink milk and we want to trust them. Guess who funds the research that pasteurized milk is great? :-) Yep, it's a huge industry.

I suggest you drink natural nut milks, without added sugars. Those are really great! I love Eden brand for many many products. Choose organic, in either case, because the toxins that build up in our bodies interfere with weight loss we can achieve! Also, for those lactose intolerant, who still want animal milk, goat's milk is better than cow's-- it has smaller molecules and is therefore digested easier. Wishing you all great health!! :flowerforyou:

I'm in the public health field and have studied pasteurization as a safety measure. It kills unwanted bacteria that may be living in the milk which can make people sick. It does not kill all the enzymes as you claim, if you have contrary evidence on this I would love to see some peer-reviewed articles. Drinking "raw" or unpasteurized milk is dangerous. Very. You can get e-coli, salmonella, and giardia, etc. There are strict monitoring guidelines that go into making milk safe for consumers including checkpoints of temperature, etc from the dairy all the way to the supermarket. I think organic milk and other products are great and I support buying local and organic, but do not make all dairies to be the same, especially since most milk comes from small, family-owned dairies and companies that practice good corporate social responsibility.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Organic Vanilla Soy Milk is my bff!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I hate milk! If I have regular milk its skim. But I tend to like Smart Balance Lactose-Free Fat Free milk a lot better and it has Omega-3s & Vitamin E.

If I need it in a shake then I use Soy Slender no sugar added Coffee flavor. Tastes just like a Frap from Starbucks if you use chocolate protein powder.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I have been drinking skim milk for over 15 years because it was a way to cut calories. Once my kids got through the toddler years, that is what I gave them too and they still prefer skim.
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    I have been drinking skim milk for over 15 years because it was a way to cut calories. Once my kids got through the toddler years, that is what I gave them too and they still prefer skim.

I know a lot of people like your kids! That's why it's recommended to give children over 5 low fat milk rather than full fat so they adjust to the taste and don't miss it. Good job! :)
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We use full fat non-homogenized milk from a local producer. We also use some raw milk from a nearby farm, but mostly for making yogurt and kefir. There are lots of things done to dairy products before they hit the grocery store. Here's one article on milk, but if you put milk in the serach engine of this site many more will come up.

http://www.westonaprice.org/Ultra-Pasteurized-Milk.html

Both kinds of milk we get have the cream on top. It's wonderflly rich and creamy. In fact, I use it instead of heavy whipping cream in recipes. And I've been able to lose almost 30 pounds making smoothies with it several times a week.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    I don't drink a glass of milk plain, ever. If I have any it's in my cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, etc. It's always skim organic. Lower fat & calories than the almond milk although the almond milk tastes better.
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    Almond, Soy Milk = Milk like Miracle Whip = Mayo
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Skim. I grew up drinking it and I don't think anything of it. 1% or more to me has a huge taste difference. It almost seems oily to me.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I drank 2% through my last pregnancy then switched back to skim and could not stand it. After meeting with a registered dietician, I am drinking 1% and my tastebuds are much happier.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up! Sorry milk lovers... I have been a milk lover my whole life up until recently when I heard about blood and pus being in all cow milk (even organic)

"Milk approved by the USDA meets allowable somatic cell counts (essentially an allowable level of blood & pus that determines the quality of the milk), so yes there is blood & pus in milk."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic_cell_count

I still drink milk but not as much as before.. I just try not to think about it!
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wow all this has definitely given me a lot to think about! Thank you all for your input!
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its not the fat in milk that will make you fat, but the sugar,aka lactose.

I don't drink milk, other than the little I'll use in coffee.

However, to reduce the amount of sugar, I prefer heavy cream in my coffee.

Jim
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking one glass of skim milk in the mornings and this week our cafeteria is out so I haven't been drinking it and my stomach has been upset every morning. If I am having cereal and in my chai tea I use light vanilla soy milk since it adds a sweetness with out having to add sugar.
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In general, I'm not a HUGE milk drinker, but I know its very good for your body, so I drink Skim. My kids are young so they drink Whole. Sometimes I mix my milk with Skim and Whole because the Saturated Fat in milk is good for you. It's the same kind if fat found in avocados and coconut milk!

Actually saturated fat needs to be avoided when possible (it's the unsaturated fats that are good for you).

According to Dr Oz and the guy who wrote about Primal Eating and he wrote the nutrition plan for P90X (forgot his name) talked about the GOOD saturated fat, like from milk, nuts, avocados, ect, not BAD saturated fat from like oh fast food.
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    In general, I'm not a HUGE milk drinker, but I know its very good for your body, so I drink Skim. My kids are young so they drink Whole. Sometimes I mix my milk with Skim and Whole because the Saturated Fat in milk is good for you. It's the same kind if fat found in avocados and coconut milk!

Actually saturated fat needs to be avoided when possible (it's the unsaturated fats that are good for you).

According to Dr Oz and the guy who wrote about Primal Eating and he wrote the nutrition plan for P90X (forgot his name) talked about the GOOD saturated fat, like from milk, nuts, avocados, ect, not BAD saturated fat from like oh fast food.

Some of the books etc out there are very much based on the authors opinions. The 'bad' saturated fat link comes from quite solid research and it is to do with the actual chemical structure of the fat itself, nothing to do with the source of the fat.