Before and Afters

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
People will post before and after photos and I love to go look at them, because it is highly motivating for me to see the differences that all our hard work can produce. But every once in a while someone will post a couple before and after pictures that I swear don't have any difference at all.

I will just look back and forth and I swear I can't see a difference. When this happens I don't post anything at all. It could be some sort of technical error I guess, maybe they posted the wrong pictures and we have two before pictures but l don't dare ask. That would be liken to asking a women when her baby is due. You had better be damn sure she is pregnant before you ask that question.

What gets me though is people will be posting in droves about how they do see the difference. It's like the emperor's new cloths in real life. In my mind I'll be thinking "Oh come on this person was a walrus before and still is a walrus." Again I don't dare actually post that cause I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and thankfully these cases are pretty rare. I think for the most part people wait until their after picture is noticeably different from their before pictures.

I just want to know am I the only one that ever sees this?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Some changes are really subtle, but I still try to encourage them saying things like, "keep at it" or such. I don't ever say I can't see it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.
    Some people get a bit ahead of themselves and post before and afters 2 weeks into a diet or exercise routine and it's just crazy.
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh...

"Oh come on this person was a walrus before and still is a walrus."

I see this...I'm like you I just don't say anything, but I'm glad people encourage them to keep going!
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Haha I love this! Made me giggle, and with the pregnancy thing.. wow that's risky ground! I agree though, it's nice that people are pleased with their progress but posting pictures after a week or two of dieting/exercising isn't quite what I'd use at motivation. Those people who post true before and after pictures are great! :)
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they are thinking that if the scales say that they have lost a few pounds then everyone should be able to see it. And unfortunately sometimes we can't see it. But I would never, ever say I couldn't. That could be detrimental to someones esteem.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love looking at before and afters, but like you I just move on when I can't tell a difference.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. If I couldn't see a difference, I just wouldn't post. Sometimes there are subtle differences that can only be noticed by the individual.

I posted photos like this once and pretty much everyone that commented said they couldn't see a difference. It's just an individual thing. :smile:
  • courtneyruzicka
    Options
    You know what? I do agree with you. I literally stare at a pictures to see if they're faking a before and after, plus see a difference. Are they just sticking out their gut, slouching... oh jeez you didn't loose any weight at all! lol I've done before and after pictures before and I know for sure that I can see a difference.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one to notice. I don't see anything wrong with people being excited about what they have done so far. I can see why someone would still say something encouraging. You want to have a positive impact and help to foster the community. In a very real way people say encouraging stuff for the same reason that I don't say anything. We feel it is the most positive response we can have.

The only issue I have is if we elevate mediocre results to the level of "You look amazing" aren't we diluting the value of that compliment on this site?

One compliment I found extremely interest was on a before and after of like some 120 pounds or something like that and the person went from looking like Jaba the Hut to looking like a smoking hottie. It took her 2 years to pull off and someone said

"You look great before and after."

Now I get why she said it. I understand she was trying to avoid saying something like

"Thank god you did this cause I would have hired Jedi to kill you otherwise."

The thing is this person really put in two years worth of work and it paid off. She looks 1000% better now and telling her that she looked great before and after to me is not paying full respect to all the effort she put in.

I know when I finish losing weight I will post some pictures. I will hope people will say things like.

"You look like a bucket of turds before but now you look sexy as hell."

I want my effort to manifest and tangible and undeniable difference in my appearance. If I end up looking just as good in both pictures then I will feel like I haven't done enough.

I bear no ill will toward anyone for doing any of these things. I totally understand why they do it and there is nothing wrong with being nice for the sake of being nice. These are just my views on how we go about evaluation the results of our efforts.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    People will post before and after photos and I love to go look at them, because it is highly motivating for me to see the differences that all our hard work can produce. But every once in a while someone will post a couple before and after pictures that I swear don't have any difference at all.

I will just look back and forth and I swear I can't see a difference. When this happens I don't post anything at all. It could be some sort of technical error I guess, maybe they posted the wrong pictures and we have two before pictures but l don't dare ask. That would be liken to asking a women when her baby is due. You had better be damn sure she is pregnant before you ask that question.

What gets me though is people will be posting in droves about how they do see the difference. It's like the emperor's new cloths in real life. In my mind I'll be thinking "Oh come on this person was a walrus before and still is a walrus." Again I don't dare actually post that cause I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and thankfully these cases are pretty rare. I think for the most part people wait until their after picture is noticeably different from their before pictures.

Today I was thinking posting pics. Got the camera out. PUMPED. After reading this...not so much. And I'm not uber sensitive or anything. :smile:

The thing is I still look like a walrus...BUT a smaller one. I guess that doesn't count. :ohwell:
  • christy3565
    christy3565 Posts: 349
    Options
    I look at the success stories all the time to keep me motivated and I agree with you. There are those that show no difference at all. Maybe they are seeking that "wow you look great" from reading everyone else that has noticeable differences? Maybe they don't have anyone in reality telling them they can see a change. I do try to encourage them but not as enthusiatic with them as I am with others. A simple keep up the great work will do, they are obviously looking for kudos.
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know when I finish losing weight I will post some pictures. I will hope people will say things like.

I will remember that and quote it if I ever see your before and after pictures ha!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with kudos, even for small triumphs. Some times you just need a nod that you are heading in the right direction. As far as that being mediocrity....that is hit and miss.
  • shutupandmove257
    Options
    Hope there's a difference in mine!! I don't want to be one of those annoying people!! :P I hear ya though, really! :D (Yes, just a shameless self love pic..HAHA!!!)

compas_zpsd97741d0.jpg
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with kudos, even for small triumphs. Some times you just need a nod that you are heading in the right direction. As far as that being mediocrity....that is hit and miss.
    Couldn't agree more!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Hope there's a difference in mine!! I don't want to be one of those annoying people!! :P I hear ya though, really! :D (Yes, just a shameless self love pic..HAHA!!!)

compas_zpsd97741d0.jpg

I would say that this is an obvious and noticeable difference. You really do look a lot better in your after pictures. I hope that you continue doing what you are doing and keep reaping the benefits.
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i laughed.
    and i laughed.
    then i was still....for you speak only the truth.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Today I was thinking posting pics. Got the camera out. PUMPED. After reading this...not so much. And I'm not uber sensitive or anything. :smile:

The thing is I still look like a walrus...BUT a smaller one. I guess that doesn't count. :ohwell:

Well that actually is progress. Understand I am not talking about everyone having to look like a single standard of success. Going from walrus to smaller walrus is improvement. I am talking specifically about those rare occasions when you don't see a difference at all.

I am of the opinion that small victories are victories. I am only talking about one specific phenomena. I also did not say that I even wanted anything to change I just wanted to know if I was the only one that felt this way and that was my original meaning for posting.
  • soldier4242
    Options

I will remember that and quote it if I ever see your before and after pictures ha!

I feel like I am 20-30 pounds away from being able to post a legitimate success photo. I had also considered waiting until I had my six pack back before posting regardless of what I weigh but I'll just play it by ear. I have taken my picture at three different weights so far and I can't yet notice a difference.
  • Grumpy2208
    Options

compas_zpsd97741d0.jpg

Nah still a walrus lol