Working out and not losing

Options
I have worked out M-F for three week...when I enter what the exercises it is giving me back about 400 calories which I add to my calories...is this right? Should I be eating the 1600 plus the 400 exercise calories. I am not seeing a weigh loss but do feel the clothes fitting different. Help!

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of my workout calories because I'm not sure how accurate they are. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but you still lose inches. Take your measurements from now on. Only weigh yourself once a week in the morning after peeing, before eating or drinking. If your clothes are fitting different its a positive change! If what you're doing now is working, don't change it.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you eat back the calories you burn when you work out, you should still lose weight, just not as quickly. Its up to you what you want your weight loss rate to be.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends. If your doing TDEE less 20% do not eat back calories. If your following what MFP assigned to you, then eat them back.

Take measurements. Women will typically lose BF% and Inches way before the scale budges. Especially if your new to weight training. You are developing muscle and losing fat at the same time, so your scale weight may not move but your waist, hips, azz, arms, and thighs will. Chances are you'll go down 2-3 sizes before the weight starts to fall (hormones play a big role).

It is totally possible for a beginner to gain 1-2 lbs per week of muscle when they start a lifting program. Usually this takes a month for anyone else. People on here will tell you that its impossible to create new muscle while on a calorie deficit. For the most part it is true, but there are 2 major exceptions to this rule. Brand new beginners that start a weight lifting routine and more obese people. So, if your both of those, it is very possible to actually gain muscle on a deficit. Once your new muscle growth begins to slow and the ratio favors more fat loss, you'll begin to shred the lbs.

Just keep at it and you'll do fine.

3 rules to follow
    1. Eat a a reasonable deficit (500-750 cal/day)
    2. Exercise at least 3 times a week
    3. PATIENCE...PATIENCE....PATIENCE
  • bluebuggy1970
    bluebuggy1970 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was exercising and eating back my calories and not loosing... I stopped eating back all the calories and have also discovered that pop/soda makes me retain water and sodium is absolutely evil with me. If I keep under the sodium level of 1500 to 2000 mg I tend to loose. If I my sodium is high, I will gain...I have lost 6 lbs in the last 4-6 weeks with cut back sodium levels.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    Depends. If your doing TDEE less 20% do not eat back calories. If your following what MFP assigned to you, then eat them back.

I never knew this. Thanks for sharing. I don't do TDEE or mfp. I chose my own based on what mfp says and the little I know about tdee. Its working.
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    I don't eat back any of my calories either....unless I burn over 500 then I like 100 of them or less.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    I was exercising and eating back my calories and not loosing... I stopped eating back all the calories and have also discovered that pop/soda makes me retain water and sodium is absolutely evil with me. If I keep under the sodium level of 1500 to 2000 mg I tend to loose. If I my sodium is high, I will gain...I have lost 6 lbs in the last 4-6 weeks with cut back sodium levels.

I have my sodium set to 1500 also. I also try for double the potassium.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I never knew this. Thanks for sharing. I don't do TDEE or mfp. I chose my own based on what mfp says and the little I know about tdee. Its working.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats (height, weight, age, goal weight, and current calorie intake) It's interesting to see what different individuals try and what works for them. I not going to tell you to change a thing if your happy with your results , you still have energy, and it works for you! That's what counts. If telling you stats is to personal....I completely understand. But other may benefit from whats working for you!
  • ajhugz
    Options

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats (height, weight, age, goal weight, and current calorie intake) It's interesting to see what different individuals try and what works for them. I not going to tell you to change a thing if your happy with your results , you still have energy, and it works for you! That's what counts. If telling you stats is to personal....I completely understand. But other may benefit from whats working for you!

5'9
    150 (i don't really have a goal weight)
    ~1450-1500 depending on the day

If you add me u can see my diary
  • rebelsupwife
    Options
    I might be dumb but what is TDEE vs map assignment?
  • rebelsupwife
    Options
    I meant MFP assignment...gotta love autocorrect.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    sodium has nothing to do with fat loss. it is water flecutuations you are seeing.......
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I meant MFP assignment...gotta love autocorrect.
    MFP numbers are typically wrong. they drop as you lose weight and don't consider body fat percentage, etc.

run your numbers here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

eat at LEAST your BMR, and preferably TDEE - 15 or 20%.
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options
    blah they explained it better :)
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options

3 rules to follow
    1. Eat a a reasonable deficit (500-750 cal/day)
    2. Exercise at least 3 times a week
    3. PATIENCE...PATIENCE....PATIENCE

This ^^
  • Paula_22
    Paula_22 Posts: 8
    Options
    That must be really frustrating. My husband suffered with the same problem when he was fighting with his extra pounds. That time medical weight loss program helped him out. There might be other reasons that you are not loosing your weight, you should go for hcg diet, I am sure that will help you out. For more information see http://hcgdietjourney.com/
  • ajhugz
    Options
    sodium has nothing to do with fat loss. it is water flecutuations you are seeing.......

Some water weight comes off and stays off and its still a loss regardless of where it comes from. I cut my sodium and went from fluctuating about 8 lbs throughout the day to just 2-3 at the most.