how do you calculate your % of body fat

Options
I looked online and found one that allowed me to put measurements in, but it had nothing about my height which I found strange. Yes a certain LBS for a 5'1" is very different than the same LBS for someone who is 5'11".

I entered the info and I was in 'normal' range but barely. Which was surprising to me since I am getting much more fit and smaller. I know I have some tightening to do but I don't know what I would look like if I was the measurements it would have to be to be on the lower end of normal.

I was sitting at 24.1% by the way as a reference. That seemed high but I am not sure.

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The only truly accurate way to measure body fat percent is in a dunk tank or air displacement pod at a professional facility. But, that's pretty expensive. If you want do to it at home, scales that measure body far are the most accurate. If they have a handle to hold in your hands, even more so. But you can get a scale that measures it from Bed Bath & Beyond for about $20-$30 w/a coupon. Pinch tests are much less accurate than the scales. IF you want to try to make the scale measurements as accurate as possible...no eating/drinking for 4 hrs before testing, but hydrate really well up to that cut off, & no exercise for 12 hours. Completely dry feet & skin (don't do after a shower). BMI is really just an estimate of body fat percentage, but the more your body fat drops, the less accurate it is.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    found another one and it was the same 24.5% this time with my height.

Kind of depressing actually.... I am an hour glass, small in the waist and full hipped although much smaller than ever.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Here's recommendations for women, from another board question...

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WOMEN FOR ANY FEMALE POSTERS INTERESTED:

Covert Bailey's ("Fit or Fat") Recommendations

68% - Fattest Woman He's Tested
    32% - Average American Woman
    25% - Healthy Normal for Oriental* Woman
    22% - Healthy Normal for Caucasian* Woman
    19% - Healthy Normal for Black* Woman
    10-18% - Top Women Athletes
    6% - Lowest Woman He's Tested

*Racial Differences due to bone density differences in different races.

American Council on Exercise Recommendations for Women:

32% - Overweight
    25-31% - Acceptable
    21-24% - Fitness
    14-20% - Athletes
    10-12% - Essential Fat
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options
    my BMI is within in normal range so guess that is good, considering when I started I was considered severely obese.
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options
    Here's recommendations for women, from another board question...

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WOMEN FOR ANY FEMALE POSTERS INTERESTED:

Covert Bailey's ("Fit or Fat") Recommendations

68% - Fattest Woman He's Tested
    32% - Average American Woman
    25% - Healthy Normal for Oriental* Woman
    22% - Healthy Normal for Caucasian* Woman
    19% - Healthy Normal for Black* Woman
    10-18% - Top Women Athletes
    6% - Lowest Woman He's Tested

*Racial Differences due to bone density differences in different races.

American Council on Exercise Recommendations for Women:

32% - Overweight
    25-31% - Acceptable
    21-24% - Fitness
    14-20% - Athletes
    10-12% - Essential Fat

so being 24% isn't bad I guess, I am a 40 year old Caucasian female. I am just on the cusp of fitness for American council and with work I can get to the 22% for Caucasian females.

Just another thing to work towards.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    On the average, people lose about 1% body fat for every 2 pounds they lose...but that's just a rough estimate. All the best in your efforts. :-)
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I get Bod Pod scans every 12 weeks.

For an estimate (that is currently fairly out because of the amount of fat I'm carrying - it under estimates my BF%) I use the following fomula (US DOD/Navy, IIRC).

For men: (86.01 * log10((waist in inches - neck in inches))) - (70.041 * log10(height in inches)) + 36.76
    For women: (163.205 * log10((waist in inches + hips in inches - neck in inches))) - (97.684 * log10(height in inches)) - 78.387

In the past I also used an AccuMeasure caliper, but I've misplaced it.