Running my butt off!

Options
Ok first things first...I am a WW lifetime member that decided I wanted to take up jogging/running in hope of running a 5K someday and to tone and possible take off the last 5 pounds that have been hanging around....I am within my healthy BMI yet on the higher end. I have started running every other day on January 16th 2013, I also walk every day at work for about 3-4 miles at 4mph, sofar I have only lost 6 pounds and I am stuck! What is the secret here to shed this weight?! I am becoming discouraged as I am literally running my butt off ! lol

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Running isn't a great way to lose weight--the average calories burnt is 100 a mile, so if you were eating at maintenance you'd have to run 35 miles to lose a pound.

That said, it does HELP. For me, getting to eat back the calories I burn running keeps me fuller and happier while I'm eating at a deficit, plus regular running keeps my metabolism revved up so that I usually lose weight slightly faster than predicted. But it's the deficit that's making me lose the weight, not the running.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Remember, muscle adds weight, the good weight you want. I bet you are adding muscle weight from working out which is a very good thing. Sounds like your are living healthy and that weight may be water and muscle weight. No reason to worry about it. The scale will lie to you because it depends what time of day you weigh yourself and other factors. Sounds like your are doing what athletes try to do which is to add muscle weight, which is very good and very healthy. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are doing a very good job, and don't rely on the scale it won't tell you what the weight is from, look at inches and how your clothes fit.
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am actually not eating to maintain, I am eating a 1200 calorie a day diet in hopes of losing, I am at a stand still......My clothes are fitting better and I have less jiggle when I run:)Thanks for the insight!
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your running calories! You probably need to at least net 1200 calories.
  • ricep4
    ricep4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat. So frustrating. I started running on January 1st, and am so proud that I'm up to 4 miles 4-5x/wk (starting from "couch potato"). I only have about 5 pounds left as well, but haven't lost a pound in 6 weeks! I actually go up a pound and then back down, up and down. I am eating between 1200-1300 calories/day (adding about 200 calories the days I work out, but burning an additional 350-400), but still definitely in a deficit, and no weight loss. I know I have gained muscle as my legs are much firmer, and I do feel much healthier, but I'd like to think I could still see the scale move. I'm hungry all the time, especially with the exercise, and I'm worried that I'll lose my motivation to keep dieting if I'm not losing any weight. I know all about plateaus, but this is crazy!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For my first two months on plan I did nothing but run 5 days a week, averaged about 12 miles per week, and I lost on average 1.5 lbs per week. I eat my BMR at a minimum, always have. 1200 was too low for me and I didn't have the fuel to do the workouts I wanted to do without starving. I eat 1381 right now and often eat back some of my exercise cals too. As I lose it changes so I recalculate it every week and change my goals to reflect that amount. I also have one day a week where I eat back every last calorie and I don't watch my macros nearly as close. This day is on Friday when I do a long run and burn nearly 1000 calories through exercise.

Near the end of February I really started pushing the Total Gym 3 days a week and added a couple spinning sessions and although it hasn't sped up my rate of loss I still average 1.5 lbs a week and 2 inches a week loss. I've lost 26 lbs and 33 inches and dropped 14.6% of my body fat in 17 weeks.

This journey is so unique to each person but there is so much great information on these forums to help you change things up to see what could work for you.
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes on most days I am eating my running calories earned back.....Sometimes I run just so I can have that ice cream or whatever I want:) I dont feel hungry and I even started drinking protein shake post run to try to fuel my muscles and I havent seen any difference after that either........I am treadmill running and sometimes at an incline...
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I started running at the end of July, and didn't lose very much weight to start with (and I have a lot to lose), but I did find my fitness increased quite dramatically. By the time I was up to running 5 miles at a time, three times a week (end of September), the weight did start dropping off again.

Best advice I can offer? Get outside and off the treadmill if it's at all possible. You'll find it harder, but equally your running (and weight loss) should improve. Treadmill running even at an incline doesn't require nearly as much effort as hauling yourself along the pavement (and it's much less boring!).