blood sugar and weight loss

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
What should your blood sugar be at when trying to lose weight? I'm not diabetic.

I keep hearing things about where you want your blood sugar to be at and I was wondering if there was any truth to it. Somewhere I read said that keeping your blood sugar around 90 was best. I'm just confused. my hubby is a type 2 diabetic and I got curious and tested mine...75. I have had a donut, a piece of quiche that had potatoes in it, some fruit, oysters, and pistachios. I thought it would be high. I tested about 2 hours after a workout and about 30-60 mins after eating oyster and nuts. So was it the workout that brought it down? I was actually hungry when I tested it. Knowing it was low kind of reassured me that it was honestly hungry and not bored or something like that :)

Just really curious, am I going to lose weight with it low? am I aiming for around 100? I have no idea. I just get suspicous of stuff like that. Should I even be worried about it at all. I have tested it at fasting (overnight) and it was around 95. I also wasn't exercising at that point. I have always been healthy...the last time I lost weight (38) it took about 3 1/2 months and I was eating all kinds of things including a few m&ms everyday. I do not know where I got the control to eat just a few! Not sure if I could do it again....all I had done was cut down on portion sizes. I just gave up after a month of no losses. I lost my motivation. I don't plan on losing it now . I know now when I quit losing I need to up the exercise intensity and do a check on how I am eating. I mean I was still eat regular potatoes!

So is there anything to this blood sugar thing and losing weight? (on a side note I do know that insulin is a "fat hormone" and is responsible for some things having to do with fat) I just mean do I need to really watch the levels now that I know I tend to be an the low side on sugar levels...do I need to aim for anything?

Replies

• mamax5
    Options
    Bump :)
  • TheSlinkyMinky
    Options
    I think you’re worrying too much about it as it shouldn’t effect your weight lose. I have low blood sugar too and the only thing I have to keep in mind while dieting is getting enough carbs in my meals. Otherwise my sugar can bottom out and I get light-headed, nauseous, and get the shakes. Not fun. I believe that happens when you get down to around 40-50 or below. Generally 118 is supposed to be "normal" blood sugar, but you shouldn't be worried that yours is lower than that unless you're getting the above symptoms.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP , I WAS TOLD 100 -150 BUT I FELT THAT WAS TOO HIGH , MFP HAS IT SET VERY LOW FOR ME IN THE 50"S I READJUSTED IT. IM GOING TO HANG AROUND AND SEE WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY. THANKS FOR THE QUESTION, XXX GG
  • 214julie
    214julie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and blood sugar levels are not directly related. Simply put, if you have been fasting for 8 or more hours, your blood sugar should be under 100 or if you are in a non fasting state, it should be under 140. These are very general ranges, but your blood sugar level is going to change often throughout the day regardless of whether you are losing, mantaining, or gaining weight.
  • mamax5
    Options
    Thanks...I just saw something a while back that said for weight loss you want it around 90 and it just got me confused...this morning it was around 106. It just got me wondering if exercise really does lower it.....I need to get my hubby exercising if that's the case because he is a diabetic and his meds have just quit working his sugar was over 300 last night :0 ! Before he went to the doctor a friend tested him and it was over 500!!!! I do not understand how he was walking around! I don't care how tall he is that is dangerous. He does want to lose weight....he needs to lose about 120lbs, but he thinks he can only lose it by getting gastric bypass surgery. He thinks he can't exercise because of his knees. He won't listen to me about anything. My knees and hips don't hurt at all since I've been exercising more! I just can't talk to him about it. He's lost 100lbs before, but gets stalled and gives up. :(