What do you do first?

Amylynn
Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
When you go to the gym, what do you do first to burn the most calories, cardio the weights or weights then cardio?

Replies

• shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    I do cardio, weights, then a little more cardio. Doing cardio first gets your heart rate up to help burn extra calories when you are lifting weights.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    My brother is a trainer and always says to do weights first so you'll have enough energy to push through them correctly.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    weights first as you burn carbs first, once your carb are depleated your body will burn stored fat during cardio. On top of that you will not be able to lift as hard if you wear yourself out during cardio.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
  • A good 5 -10 minute warm up is always good. I found this article to be very informative. I know you can't always trust what you read but I feel it's a good one.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/training/a/ExerciseOrder.htm
  • We posted the same website link at the same time, lol.
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    I read an article that lifting weights before cardio helps you burn more while you're doing your cardio. I don’t remember the article so I can’t remember the reasons they gave for this. Hope that helps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I've read in Self and Shape and confirmed with my personal trainer that strength before cardio is the way to go. :happy: Recently I've been doing 5 minutes cardio WARM UP before strength, then about 30 minutes cardio after.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    There's not one universally accepted answer to this question as it will heavily depend on the individual and types of cardio and resistance training you're doing.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member

Good article!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Weights first for all the reasons listed above.
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    I was taught from several personal trainers that you start with a nice warm up. Easy ten minutes or so on the treadmill and then do weights. Followed by cardio followed by a cool down.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Thank you everyone for all the input. And that article did help:happy:
This discussion has been closed.