Diabetic Diet???

Options
I went to the doctors today for my PCOS. I got some new meds my doctor is thrilled I have started losing weight. But because of the PCOS she says sooner or later I am going to have to start a diabetic diet. So she suggested I do it now and that will really help me lose the weight at a faster rate. So I am trying to do some research to find out exactly what is on a diabetic diet? I thought it was basically no sugar.. But after researching this I have found I am not even close there is so much more. I am wondering if anyone knows of any healthy recipes. or somewhere I could find some. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AlyssainNC
    AlyssainNC Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with (very) late onset Type 1 diabetes almost two years ago. We took a series of nutrition classes after his diagnosis which was created for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. However, the nutritionist said she would teach the class the same to non-diabetics.

Basically, eat real food. Stay away from packaged foods. Make sure 1/2 your plate is vegetables, 1/4 can be fruit/starch, and 1/4 meat. Limit sweets, but if you do indulge dark chocolate is best or anything made with real sugar (or better yet, honey or applesauce). Stay away from fake sugars. Your body doesn't know what to do with them and they send false signals to your brain. Make as much of your food as you can so you can control the ingredients. When you eat grains, try to make them whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat, etc.).

Um, that's about it. My husband, our 5 year old, and I all feel way better when we eat like this. I found this website to have some really good "real food" eating tips and recipes. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you so very much!! This was very helpfull!!
  • AlyssainNC
    AlyssainNC Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Glad to help! It can be a big change, but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. Good luck!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The best treatment option for any diabetic (Type I or Type II) or anyone insulin-resistant due to metabolic-syndrome, PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, whatever, is actually a low-carb (even ketogenic) diet.

All the research is clear on this, yet for WHATEVER reason, dieticians and even the American and Canadian Diabetes Association don't tell people this.

Please take a moment and check out the information I've provided in this thread (rather than my cutting/pasting everything)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/946167-diabetics-and-daily-calories

In a nutshell, we KNOW diabetes is an impairment in carbohydrate metabolism. As such a reduction in carbohydrate is what controls it, plain and simple. It's also important to note carbohydrate is not an essential macronutrient whereas protein and fat are.

The best book you can find on controlling blood sugar using a diabetic diet is Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution".

The best forum, in my opinion, for anyone wanting information, recipes, research articles and the truth is www.diabetesforum.com ... Go talk to Shanny, she's amazing.

Read a good study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029/ or some of the studies on the page I linked to above.

Good Luck!
  • mytime1986
    Options
    Wow that is very helpful thank you!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    There was a lady on here just yesterday who actually was able to stop taking her meds for diabetes. If I can find the thread I will post it. Maybe she will see your post and respond. I think she was doing whole foods only.
  • mytime1986
    Options
    Thanks!!