Fads/fashions when you were in high school

Options
124»

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hot Pants, crocheted hats and jerkins, hang ten tee shirts, tucking shirts in, jeans that didn't stretch (oh for the good old days)
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    sequin_bag_gold1.JPG

guacho2.jpg

Graduated 2006.

Omg, almost forgot about that! I didn't own one of those bags, but I admittedly did own the same gauchos everyone had from Target. Quite possibly the most unflattering clothing item ever.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Oh god, the hair! The hair!

06.jpg

No, that is not me, but I wasn't any better. Horrid!

Hey, at least people could see where they were going with that hair.

Scene_Boy_Hair.jpg

:laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    sequin_bag_gold1.JPG

guacho2.jpg

Graduated 2006.

Omg, almost forgot about that! I didn't own one of those bags, but I admittedly did own the same gauchos everyone had from Target. Quite possibly the most unflattering clothing item ever.

Gauchos were big in the 70s too :happy:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh, and remember wolf whistles?
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I graduated in 2002. I remember a HUGE trend was heavy blonde highlites with a layer of dark underneath. We wore a lot of low rise jeans and "brand names". I also had an obsession with the tanning bed.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    High school... Hmmm. Flare leg jeans for girls. Baggy jeans for boys.Tshirts. Tank tops. Anything with a cheesy trendy logo. I went to a high school in a small town so that would include anything from a generic mall and nothing to consider really fashionable/beautiful. Skin tight short stuff for the ladies (which I did not partake in) and baggy stuff for the boys, where you couldn't tell if their shorts were actual shorts, or flood length pants. Flip flops, adidas.

Girls hair would always be straightened...curls were so out :-P

I graduated in 2004, so I'm sure they're still wearing the same things in that town.

I was gonna write pretty much this exact post, right down to the graduation year and small town. But don't forget that while the boys' pants bagged below their cracks, the girls' jeans showed theirs off too! (I was actually a fan of low-rise jeans, b/c I am short in the body, longer in the legs, so I could wear jeans that fit, instead of jeans that came halfway up my rib cage!)

And then towards the end of high school, punk started becoming "trendy" which just pissed off all of us who already dressed that way... :grumble:
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this was just an english thing, but does anyone remember kickers shoes? Extremely ugly black lace ups, with white laces? I remember my mum saying how ugly they were, but I swore I loved them, not just because they were the fashion!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    But don't forget that while the boys' pants bagged below their cracks, the girls' jeans showed theirs off too!

I just had a revelation: around the time when this generation went to college is when the lower back tattoo for girls, or "tramp stamp," REALLY boomed! I guess we wanted to show off even more right above our low-rise jeans! :laugh:

And yes, I have one too :tongue:
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm currently watching 10 Things I Hate About You, and that... ALL that...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Don't know if this was just an english thing, but does anyone remember kickers shoes? Extremely ugly black lace ups, with white laces? I remember my mum saying how ugly they were, but I swore I loved them, not just because they were the fashion!

Not sure.
    Can you find and post a pic?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Oh, and remember wolf whistles?

Not sure about that either.
    Picture?
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    sequin_bag_gold1.JPG

guacho2.jpg

Graduated 2006.

Unflattering? Maybe, but damn comfortable. These need to come back!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Wife beater, shoulder pouch, baggy pants and leather jacket.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Not sure.
    Can you find and post a pic?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM0N1gxNjAw/z/5KcAAMXQAx9RO7gL/$T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLnEBRO7gKsn(g~~60_35.JPG
    Best I can do I'm afraid. Now I've seen a picture I do remember they were super comfy!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Acid wash!
    Code Bleu - fringed denim
    keds
    pegged jeans
    giant hair
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Wife beater, shoulder pouch, baggy pants and leather jacket.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Haven't heard that one for awhile :happy:
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Graduated in '85. I had one of these in every color. I had a ribbon belt that matched, along with matching socks.

Izod_zpsa9391fcc.jpg
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Graduated in '85. I had one of these in every color. I had a ribbon belt that matched, along with matching socks.

Izod_zpsa9391fcc.jpg

I had these in uniform colors (red, white, blue) and a striped pink one to match my jellies :happy:
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I had these in uniform colors (red, white, blue) and a striped pink one to match my jellies :happy:

I wore white Ked's.