Celiac Disease/gluten intolerance help

Options
13»

Replies

• siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that I am NOT lumping Celiac and gluten intolerance into the same category. The reason I stated it that way in the title is because while I highly doubt that the issues I'm having are severe enough to be Celiacs, there are cases of it in my family. If anything, it's likely that I have a mild form of gluten intolerance. I realize that Celiacs is a complete allergy to gluten where as gluten intolerance is not.

I AM planning on seeing my doctor about this. I have a previously set up appointment on Monday, at which I plan to address this. This post was more of a preemptive "what if" situation: Preparing myself for the possibility that I might have to take gluten out of my diet.

For those of you who had suggestions and resources for me: THANK YOU! Even if I'm not gluten intolerant, it's always good to have extra health food resources.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My daughter has celiac and is totally gluten free. I would recommend first, getting tested. The first step is a simple blood test to check protein levels in your blood. You need to do the testing prior to switching to a gluten free diet. I buy hardly any actual gluten free products. I cook real food. My daughter doesn't eat much meat either, but she gets protein from peanut butter and beans. I will splurge on UDI's bread because it's the best I have found. Fresh fruit and vegetables are naturally gluten free. We eat quite a bit of rice as well. Eating out is difficult and the gluten free alternatives are very expensive, but if it's necessary you will find a way to make it work.

Same here, with my daughter. Cook lots of healthy, whole foods, avoid processed foods (with the exceptional treat of Udi's bread or cookies once in awhile). Eating out is trickier; but, you can usually stick to simpler dishes that revolve around a meat/protein without a lot of added sauce or a dinner salad. We had much more trouble trying to eliminate corn and soy before we narrowed in on her gluten sensitivity. Those two are in freaking everything!
  • mongersarah971
    Options
    Coupons, coupons, coupons! I have found that if I save on other items I buy, I can afford more gluten free items. I try to use the Catalina's (the coupons from the register) In addition to the ones in the newspaper. I also only buy on sale and in season. During the summer I go to the local farmers market and make most ofy veggie purchases for a fraction of what it would cost on the supermarket. My meat I purchase at a small local store because it is high quality but much more affordable. I try to save with gas as well. I'm from eastern PA and there are two chains that work together - sheetz (a gas station) and weis (a supermarket). Sheetz loyalty card gets you $.03 off/gal and weis' loyalty program partnered with them to offer $.20 off.

I have found that baking gluten free bread is difficult and I don't like the texture of the homemade stuff. I willingly spend the money for Udi's Sandwich bread. I haven't ventured into making my own pasta yet, So I buy pasta as it is a key part of my diet. I also enjoy making my own spice blends. My mother is allergic to onions and my dad shouldn't have black pepper or salt and me with my gf intolerance ("natural flavorings" often have gluten in them, also msg is in most of these spice blends) so making our own is important. Taco seasoning is one of the big ones - cumin, a little tumeric, cayenne pepper (or siracha sauce - a cheap, hot!, and tasty hot sauce - a little goes a long way) and a little garlic and it is tastier than the prepackaged stuff. Individual spices can be expensive. But in the end they are way better for you.