Anybody recently quit smoking

Options
Hi Ya'll, I have been on MFP for a couple of months now but on April 1, 2013 (4 days ago) I quit smoking. I'm looking for friends who have recently quit smoking/or are quitting smoking and are continuing on with their weight loss journey.

Don't get me wrong, the friends I have are great and have been wonderful to me since I put it out there, I'm just wanting some more friends who are going through the same/similar journey.

If there's anybody out there, send me request.

Replies

• carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I quit in August 2012. It was very much tied in with my journey toward overall health. The final nail in the coffin for my smoking was when I started running. I realized I couldn't do both. Feel free to add me! :) You can do this!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I quit a few years ago thanks to the Allen Carr Easy Way book.

If you feel the need to relapse it's worth a read to remind yourself there are no benefits to smoking. Not stress relief, not relieving boredom, nothing.

Good luck with your pursuit of health, go easy on yourself as you adjust to being a non-smoker.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have not recently quit but have been nearly smokefree for 2 years. Best thing I ever did. I did put on a few kilos in the process and I replaced cigarettes with food for a while but I figured it would be better to quit smoking than weigh a bit more. But if you can avoid putting on weight thats great. Perhaps you could try exercise as a tool to get you through and a distraction from the cigarettes. I know it does seem quite daunting some days not smoking but it honestly does get easier and its so worth it. A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you. 4 days is a huge achievement.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    So funny I saw this post....I am really wanting a cigarette right now but I smoked my last one yesterday. So now I am trying to fight my crazy mind and reprogram it to not want one. I just had dinner and after meals it is the worst because I am so used to smoking after I eat. I used to eat just so I could justify smoking half a cigarette lol So between the eating and smoking now I am fat and cant breathe when I try and exercise lol Good luck to you though it is not easy for everyone. I am thinking of looking into those E cigarettes that don't output smoke but steam. You still get the nicotine and it is better for your lungs definitely. I read somewhere that they did a study that long term smokers cut their chance of parkinsons disease drastically. IDK either way it is not good for me so I will just continue to try cold turkey.
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    I stopped smoking exactly 3 weeks ago, after 21 years. The first six days were challenging, but past that it's been no problem. Any urge to smoke passes quickly enough that it's easy to ride out. You can absolutely do this. Feel free to add me to your support system!
  • CathyD1218
    Options
    I quit smoking 182 ago days ago. (not that I am keeoing track) Still miss it, spouse still smokes and I struggle everyday with eating and not smoking. I am looking for any good advise on how to stay smoke free and lose weight.
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking the same day I joined MFP! I cannot exercise and smoke..... I miss it sometimes but I am over it!:happy:
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i am looking to quit smoking. Looking for motivational support.
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1, my mom's birthday! She has been asking me to quit so I figured it would be a good gift for her AND me.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking just over a year ago, the best thing I ever did. It did affect my weight loss at the time, but I'm back on track now. Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free since December 21, 2012. On top of that I have lost about 14 lbs since then, so weight loss is possible when you quit. You will have to stick to your guns hard though. Getting rid of one addiction can sometimes lead to another, just make sure it is something healthy. I replaced my nicotine addiction with a running addiction.

Good luck!
  • KatieH2013
    KatieH2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 weeks ago yesterday!!! :)
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I quit about a month ago. I got an e-cigarette, just for fun, and LOVED it.... I'll never look back.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've cut down from 20 a day to 5 a day now I want to all the way! I appreciate any help tips and pals to support! Tomorrow is quit day!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I had my last cigarette on December 2, 2010 and I haven't looked back. Best thing I ever did for myself. And I loved smoking. I realized one day I was sick of it, plus I have asthma. My daughter begged me to quit and I couldnt handle the thought of something happening to me and leaving her behind. My boyfriend really encouraged me too. He quit about 10 years ago.
    I was hospitalized last year with severe triple-pneumonia and the doctors said it was a darn good thing I had quit smoking. Now I have fallen back in love with tennis and couldnt imagine smoking ever again. Its actually quite repulsive when I smell it on someone.

Do this for yourself! You will never regret it and its so rewarding. I get myself a gift every December 2 now to reward myself for the 2nd greatest thing I have ever done (1st being my daughter).

Stick with it!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I quit in August 2012. It was very much tied in with my journey toward overall health. The final nail in the coffin for my smoking was when I started running. I realized I couldn't do both. Feel free to add me! :) You can do this!

Wow, you must have read my profile. Just kidding but this is exactly what happened with me. I started running in March of 2012 and quit smoking in August of 2012. Just remember to take it one day at a time.
  • finnvalley
    finnvalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done! Quitting is such a hard thing to do, but so rewarding long term. It'll be two years smoke free for me in September...I tried cold turkey, patches, gum, lozenges and even the drug champix, but none of them worked. The only thing that helped me was e-cigarettes...a truly fabulous device. I went from 30-40 cigarettes a day, straight to none, with no trouble at all. I'm still using mine as I find it much more enjoyable than smoking - you get so many different flavours of e-liquid (yes, I know I've replaced one habit with another but I'm ok with that, as its a much healthier way of getting a nicotine fix...plus, with the right liquid it tastes like sweeties but with no calories!). I can't recommend e-cigarettes highly enough.