Warm-Up & Cool-Down...Count the Calories?

Options
I was just wondering if people count the warm-up and cool-down of their workouts in their total calories burned.

I have a HRM and i just turn it on when I start and end, so I end up counting both of them even though my heart rate obviously isn't all the way up during those times.

What do you do?

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I do but I've wondered the same thing so thank you for the post. Can't wait to see what other do.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I include warmup and cool down because my heart rate is outside of its normal resting rate (warmup raises it, and cool down brings it back to normal) so I consider it part of the workout.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm just going by the elliptical's reading which is based on my weight and it includes it in all of it. The treadmill doesn't count the cool-down so that's kind of frustrating because I know I'm still burning.
  • golfdell
    golfdell Posts: 9
    Options
    I just turn on the HRM and go. When I stop so does the HRM...
  • minus15go
    minus15go Posts: 27
    Options
    I count the warm up and cool down. It's probably more than your resting heart rate is and it will average out with your highest HR % so that's why I include it when I work out.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I count them both! Mostly because I include them as one session on my HRM.
  • marquesj
    marquesj Posts: 47
    Options
    Calories Burned are just that Calories Burned... I count them and you should too!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ME TOOO!!!!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I count them. I use a HRM and it takes my measurements as long as my heart rate is above a certain level. I figure if its reading it then I am burning
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Count it all since your heart rate is changing with both!
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do not count my cool down. However I punch in my time and speed for my calories, so, if I walk for 30 minutes and cool down for 4 or 5 meaning a total of 34-35 minutes, I don't add those last 4-5 minutes in. I probably have like 300 minutes not added in!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I remember now why I count them. They are something I wouldn't do if I were not working out. Not to mention the heart rate part.