Side Effects from Green Tea?

So over the past week I've started having one green tea a day, after having countless people tell me how good it is for you. I've been really enjoying it, since I never normally drink tea it's nice to have a warming drink. I should say here that I don't generally have anything containing significant amounts of caffine - don't drink coffee, (up until now) I've never drunk tea, having now only inimal amounts of chocolate.

Problem is, I've noticed a couple of strange symtoms...
- About 5 minutes after starting drinking the green tea, I have been getting very strong headaches, which last about half an hour or so
- I've begun having quite frequent dizzy spells, like you do when you get up too quickly. I've had these with some regularity all my life, and I've always put it down to low blood pressure, as it tends to happen when I've been laying down for a while, normally in the mornings. But over the past few days, I've been having a spell almost every time after I've been laid down, even if it's only for a few minutes or so, right across the day.
- Also running a fever this morning - spent the night alternating between being freezing cold and boiling hot.

My question is - can green tea do all this, or am I just comming down with a really nasty cold?! Any personal experience or ideas appreciated! I'm booking in to see my doctor today, so will see what she says, but I'm keen for some other viewpoitns too! :)

Replies

• unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    I think you might have some negative side effects of caffeine. I would switch to decaf and see if you have the same effects.
  • Personally I don't think it's the green tea. I get an upset stomach from it but I think u are just getting sick. As far as the dizziness goes I too suffer from it and recently found out it was from allergies. My doctor gave me a medication to dry my sinuses up and my dizziness is gone!

Hope you feel better soon! :)
  • I am 99% sure you're having negative effects from caffeine, I have the exact same problem!
  • bump
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    There isn't enough caffeine in one cup of green tea to be causing a problem and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    It's not the caffeine for me. I drink coffee.
    Green tea makes me feel...wrong. I suspected that it raised my blood pressure, and since I had a monitor I checked.
    Sure enough, it raises my BP. No more green tea for me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Stop drinking the green tea. If all that stuff stops, it was probably the green tea.

If you want to be sure, introduce it back into your system. If it comes back, you'll know for sure. If not, maybe it was something else and obviously has passed.

If symptoms persist even without the green tea, go to the doctor.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Lay off the tea for a week, then try adding back. If the same thing happens again, you will know it is the tea.