Wrinkled and Sagging

Options
Since last Year I have lost almost 60 lbs. I want to lose 25 more. Although I’m very happy with my weight lose so far. I’m not happy with the wrinkles on my thighs or my sagging stomach. For exercise I walk use a stationary bike and I just started with a stepping machine.

Does anyone know of what exercise or exercises that could help with my problem?

Replies

• joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    For the sagging skin, try strength training. Not sure on the science behind this, but it helps keep the skin from sagging. As as the wrinkles go, drink tons of water. Try applying a good natural vitamin e oil or shea butter and dry brushing your skin to stimulate and increase circulation. Make sure your eating a balanced, healthy diet so your body is getting all the nutrients it needs to repair itslef. A good multivitamin will also help. I suggest Nature's Plus women's multivitamin. It is $20 for a bottle through vitacost but well worth it. Also, try losing weight slowly. It gives your body time to adjust. Hope all this helps.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Since last Year I have lost almost 60 lbs. I want to lose 25 more. Although I’m very happy with my weight lose so far. I’m not happy with the wrinkles on my thighs or my sagging stomach. For exercise I walk use a stationary bike and I just started with a stepping machine.

Does anyone know of what exercise or exercises that could help with my problem?
    I don't claim to be an expert but I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do. That's the bad news. The good news is that if you maintain long enough, it will probably improve. You're only 38. Time is on your side.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My doc said it takes time for the skin to snap back, BUT it depends on one's age, the amount they were overweight, and genetics. I have a friend who was 355 lbs and lost the weight in her early 30's and she still looks like a melted candle. I'm in my 50's and have no illusion that my wrinkly thighs will snap back. They'll probably stay this way. My own damn fault for not taking exercise seriously when I was younger and my skin was more elastic. Feeling great and looking great "in clothes" is my reward now.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Yeah I have that problem of loose skin.
    My solution:
    -Use skin tightening cream.
    -Wear a Waist Sweat Vest when I work out and sleep.
    -Drink lots of water.
    -Lift weights to tone the muscle.
    (Low-Medium weights with more reps.)
    It'll go away in no time.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Creating muscle mass by following a weight-lifting program, and eating a diet that supports that, will fill up the space so skin stretches over it more tightly. I know people say it all the time, but lift weights! Also though, it takes a lot of work for women to get anywhere with muscle. So it will take time. But it's worth it!

No smoking, lots of veg & fruit, fatty fish, or fish oil capsules, sunscreen when those areas are in the sun, that's it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i heard of something on this site called "derma roller" and intend to find it if i feel i need it later.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Best solution for saggy skin that I know of is to get very, very lean, and then bulk slow.

- Bulking does wonders for the skin (excess calories does wonders for the whole body really, when applied at the right time in a contained manner). Its likely that faster skin regeneration is the cause (everything grows faster, hair, nails, etc..., skin too probably).

- Getting very lean gets almost all of your old fat off the skin. Go way beyond your goal weight to at least visible abs territory (male or female). That more than anything is preventing it from shrinking. That fat attached to the skin was deposited at a much larger circumference, which creates a lot of the saggy skin problems, not the skin itself.

- New fat that gets added back will be deposited much more proportional to your current shape. Just gain back to your goal weight.

Even if that doesn't fully fix it, it will look way, way better than it did when you passed your goal weight on the way down. Could cycle getting lean then gaining a few times for further improvement.

I lost 75 lbs. The vast majority of my loose skin was gone within 2 months of starting to bulk. It absolutely did wonders.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm confused about this getting rid of old fat to make room for different, better fat business. When people 'lean out', their fat cells just empty out, they don't go anywhere (do they? there's always some new study).

I think it's better to lose as much fat as your diet/lifestyle can realistically tolerate, because what's the point of being lean for 2 weeks? And then if skin wrinkling is the worry, to actually keep a little bit of fat, and just beef up the stuff underneath so it looks all juicy.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My doc said it takes time for the skin to snap back, BUT it depends on one's age, the amount they were overweight, and genetics. I have a friend who was 355 lbs and lost the weight in her early 30's and she still looks like a melted candle. I'm in my 50's and have no illusion that my wrinkly thighs will snap back. They'll probably stay this way. My own damn fault for not taking exercise seriously when I was younger and my skin was more elastic. Feeling great and looking great "in clothes" is my reward now.

I agree with this. I was told it's all about age and genetics.

When you become obese your skin actually grows to accommodate the fat. Problem is it doesn't ungrow just because you lost a ton of weight and no amount of exercise is going to make it go away. Although exercise does build muscle which in turn takes up some of the skin making it look a bit better.

Since losing 140 pounds I look horrible naked. Since hubby doesn't seem to mind I try to overlook it. Easier said than done.