Best cardio routine for weight loss/toning?

Options
I would like to establish a regular cardio routine for my morning workouts, but I'm not sure what to do. Previously, I was doing an hour on the elliptical four to five days a week. I would alternate between the "fat burner" program and the "leg toner" program, but I'm thinking that might not be enough variety to make a difference. I also do weight training four to five times per week.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Is it possible to get a good mix without running? I hate running!!

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels - Burn Fat Boost Metabolism is a great cardio workout.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to tone I'd try a program like Insanity or TapouT XT that has strength moves built in to the cardio.
  • rmxtube
    rmxtube Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Insanity by Shaun t
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels - Burn Fat Boost Metabolism is a great cardio workout.
    ^^ Definitely a killer workout!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Get your cardio in, for sure, but there's nothing like strength training for toning. A program that incorporates both is ideal.
  • mykes13
    mykes13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! It's difficult for me to do at-home workouts, I need the routine of the gym. What about workout on the actual cardio machines?
  • Hiit_Girl
    Options
    if you are currently doing steady state cardio on the machines look into modifying your workouts to Hiit style. It will shorten your workout time and be a better boost for you metabolism post workout. There are many versions of hiit and you can do it on any cardio machine...treadmill, eliptical, bike, etc. etc. Google hiit and you will find lots of options and routines you could follow. Hiit style also helps preserve muscle vs. the catabolising effect excessive steady state cardio has on muscles, at least that is what is written about it. A short summary is that you go really hard (targeting 90+ max heart rate for an intensity burst--often people target a minute or 90 seconds) then follow it with a recovery period where you get your heart rate back down to around 70% maximum (I often do 3-4 minute periods) and repeat this a certain number of times...starting out with 3 or 4. Hiit routines should stay short 30-40 minutes is more than enough. Check it out. I love them but they are intense.

Looking back at your post I see you hate running BTW I don't care for it much either but with Hiit it is just 60-90 seconds of run your *kitten* off and then you can walk 3-4 minutes....it isn't bad and the run is over before you know it...and it feels fricken fabulous when you are done!! :wink: :flowerforyou: you might get hooked!
  • Jonette01
    Jonette01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree... you'd be surprised at how much you burn (and sweat) while doing weight/resistance training!!

Depends on what your goal is. I do the StairClimber for my cardio because I hate running as well and I didn't want to get "stick thin". You can strengthen the thighs and glutes in amazing ways with this machine!

A guy at the gym actually recommended it when he admitted he had been watching me for a couple weeks (freaked me out at first). He said I do way too much cardio and that I would lose my curves doing that. He hinted I would look like "the white girls up there." *please don't take this offensively* I know he was referring more to their physique. He pointed at the ladies who normally run miles on the treadmill and have NO shape.

I took his advice and it's been AWESOME at defining my hour glass figure. The 15m (Interval Training) has become part of my workout routine... I started doing 5m straight... and that was no joke! The Interval Training is probably best for me; the machine will alternate between 1m at the highest level (I do lvl 8) and 1m at the lowest level (lvl 3 for me) for the time you specify, after that I'm all about weight lifting, tons of squats and core exercises.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    HIIT coupled with strength training.
  • Moazam363
    Options
    How about skipping rope and swimming?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    C25K? I love it.

Sorry - I just saw the end where you said you hate running :ohwell:
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. Seriously.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    just skip rope for 30 minutes
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    lift weights 3 times a week min, cardio 2 to 3 times a week in HIIT style and that is all you need really as long with the most important factor, diet (80/20, remember that) :smile:
  • liyana1234
    Options
    i love doing this workout everday
  • Hiit_Girl
    Options
    if you are currently doing steady state cardio on the machines look into modifying your workouts to Hiit style. It will shorten your workout time and be a better boost for you metabolism post workout. There are many versions of hiit and you can do it on any cardio machine...treadmill, eliptical, bike, etc. etc. Google hiit and you will find lots of options and routines you could follow. Hiit style also helps preserve muscle vs. the catabolising effect excessive steady state cardio has on muscles, at least that is what is written about it. A short summary is that you go really hard (targeting 90+ max heart rate for an intensity burst--often people target a minute or 90 seconds) then follow it with a recovery period where you get your heart rate back down to around 70% maximum (I often do 3-4 minute periods) and repeat this a certain number of times...starting out with 3 or 4. Hiit routines should stay short 30-40 minutes is more than enough. Check it out. I love them but they are intense.

Looking back at your post I see you hate running BTW I don't care for it much either but with Hiit it is just 60-90 seconds of run your *kitten* off and then you can walk 3-4 minutes....it isn't bad and the run is over before you know it...and it feels fricken fabulous when you are done!! :wink: :flowerforyou: you might get hooked!

If you can do HIIT for 40 minutes its not truly HIIT. Your walk shouldn't be 3-4 minutes. Sprint and walk/job should be the same time frame.

Don't be so quick to think your definition of hiit is the only one....have an open mind..

http://www.notyouraveragefitnesstips.com/best-workout-routines/best-cardio-for-weight-loss-hiit-workout-routine

DISCLAIMER: I do not agree with the statement in the article about lifting resulting in bigger legs...if you eat at a deficit lifting will not "bulk" your legs and is a great way to burn calories too
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sit yourself down on a rowing machine for 20 minutes.

Strength and cardio at the same time.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sit yourself down on a rowing machine for 20 minutes.

Strength and cardio at the same time.

This, watch some videos to learn proper technique and then hit the rowing machine. I've never had such an intense workout as attempting to do a 2km piece in race conditions (this takes about 8mins) and you'll feel it everywhere! It's great for core muscles, as well as being amazing on your thighs and shoulders.