Elliptical and your arms?

Options
thendrick
thendrick Posts: 102 Member
Does it actually do anything for your arms? If yes, which muscles?

Replies

• vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    A little bit at first. It definitely balances out the difficulty of higher levels but ultimately it's no substitute for resistance and strength training if you want to tone your arms and chest. I'm an avid fan of the elliptical for years now so I have some experience.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm up to the higher levels now, my regular workout is 50 minutes on Level 8 hills, and I tend to use my arms more to actually push on the handles rather than just holding them there and letting my legs do the work. If you actually try to push and pull, it helps when I'm on the harder hills and I can feel the workout in my arms instead of if I just rested them on the handles. So basically, it comes down to the effort you put into it :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Found this online....

Since you are moving your arms and pushing with your legs, there is a belief that you are strengthening your leg and arm muscles when using an elliptical machine. However, once again ellipticals are providing aerobic exercise which is different from strength training
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    There is some level of toning or strengthening because when I first started to exercise I only used the elliptical and I clearly remember doing things with my arms and feeling like I had super powers because I was so much stronger than I had been I would over shoot. I mean I'd pick up my computer bag and pull like I had my old weak arms so the bag would fly up into the air - it was pretty dang funny!!!!:laugh: Same with slamming the car door shut or other mundane tasks - I felt like every thing had suddenly become super light weight! It was fun while it lasted but I did adjust :flowerforyou:
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Its more cardio than anything. Think of it like moving your arms when you are running.