How accurate are you?

Options
Do you weight and measure every little thing? Or do you eyeball it? Are there some things you are more precise with than others? Did you use to measure everything but are now confident enough in your perception to make guesses?

Replies

• rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Most of the time I eyeball it. Sometimes, just to keep my perspective on what are the right serving sizes, I'll measure.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I measure when possible and eyeball the rest of the time. I don't have a scale, so I measure things in cups, tablespoons, etc.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! But I am only 5 days in lol I am sure in a few months I will be able to eyeball things. At this point if I dont know how much a serving is I wont eat it.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At this point I mostly eyeball it.But I try to over estimate in calories as well, if its over 1/2 cup I will go to 3/4 I would rather overestimate than under. Starting out I weighed and measured everything. But it may be time to go there again to make sure everything is still on target. Thanks for the reminder.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. I bought a cheap scale. It is so easy when you are eyeballing it to go over. Often we don't realize how easy it is to eat more by not measuring. Also, if you are eyeballing it and then "overestimate" your calories, you could end up eating 400 - 500 calories less then you are supposed to. After awhile, if you eat the same basic food, you learn how much a cup of cereal is (if it's in the same bowl). I have been doing this for 7 years and I still don't trust my eyes (especially if I am hungry!). I would suggest to just measure.... it is a little bit of a hassle at times, but well worth it. My husband laughs at me when I get out my measuring spoons for my salad dressing and my 1/8 cup for sunflower seeds.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I try to be as accurate as possible without obsessing. I don't weigh anything, but I do measure carefully.
  • CherylDrab
    CherylDrab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just found out I'm pre-daibetic so I measure EVERYTHING! Weigh all my meat and my measuring cups are on the counter all the time to remind me to do so.
    Have lost 6 lbs so far....looking to lose about 25-30 more.
    Bumped up exercise too...trying to get back to running...well jogging realy! LOL
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

You're welcome.
  • sleche
    sleche Posts: 46
    Options
    I eyeball everything. But then I always want to make sure and measure...but I've been doing it so long I'm dead on like 99% of the time
  • SuperPink
    SuperPink Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh stuff like oils, nuts/nut butters, meats and dairy (basically calorie-dense stuff). I eyeball fruits and veg and guesstimate the measurement.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weight everything that 'matters' more to me (pasta, rice, potatoes and fats etc). I don't bother with weighing veggies or fruit.

It's scarily easy to guess weights and get them wrong.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    At home I weight everything (except things I use a whole container of, meaning I know exactly how they weight).
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    While getting to my goal I measured everything! Now in maintence I try to estimate more.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I'm tracking things (I don't track every day, probably 5-6 days a week depending on what life is throwing at me) I measure everything.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting I'm pretty obsessive about weighing and measuring.

Now that I'm maintaining not so much.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring everything is a nuisance, but if you aren't accurate, you may as well not bother doing it at all.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything whenever possible. Try eyeballing something, remember your 'guess' then weigh it and see how far off you were.

OCD FTW! :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eyeball everything. It's accurate enough to get me the results I wanted, so... that's good enough. :smile:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In the begining I measured EVERYTHING down to the last teaspoon of sugar or salt.

Now I measure things by cuo or a handful of certain things. Mostly I've been buying things in single serving sized meals.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that I can. I'm not good at eye-balling.