I sweat a lot when I workout...DO YOU?

Options
Okay, so i push myself hard in the gym and like to break a sweat, but recently I have noticed that I sweat a lot more than anyone else. Even when I'm doing light cardio, I break a good sweat. It's kind of embarassing sometimes, but I've heard that the more you sweat, the fitter you are. Is this true?

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true or not, but I sweat and sweat and sweat buckets! I never really did until I really really started to push myself. Even running in the past I could run for three miles and not sweat. Now, I'm much more physically fit and I sweat at mile 1 LOL. I don't care either way because I enjoy the sweat, if nothing else, I at least feel like I got a good workout when I do. :smile:
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I sweat like a mad man!! It's annoying, but it feels great afterwards!! I always refer to myself as "gushing" :laugh:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I have seen some sweaty unfit people, so I don't think that is true, but I do perspire a fair bit when I work out. It really has nothing to do with fitness level.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I sweat like a mad man!! It's annoying, but it feels great afterwards!! I always refer to myself as "gushing" :laugh:

LOL my dad used to say women don't sweat, they mist. I'll have to tell him about your "gushing". LMAO
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I believe it has a lot to do with your water intake as well (though I could be wrong).

I sweat a lot, and I always have...but lately, I've really stepped up my intensity and I've been like dripping sweat non-stop. It's so gross :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Don't know how true the fitter the more you sweat... I know plenty of unfit people that sweat at the the thought of working out. :wink:
    I can't help but think it has more to do with how hydrated you are. I notice I don't sweat AS much when I'm a little dehydrated. That said I sweat profusely when I work out. I get the back sweat, sweaty hair, butt sweat, knee sweat, puddle under the sports bra... always have... I just figure it's a quick way for people to tell exactly how hard I'm working. :bigsmile:
  • Slim_in_Phila
    Options
    i know when i work out there are times when i have to move to a different machine because i'll be near a ceiling air conditioning unit and i HATE that. i like to leave the gym with a sweat line on my shirt down my my "ladies" thats when i know ive gotten a great workout in!!! i know it sounds gross but it makes me feel so good!
  • policebaby
    policebaby Posts: 19
    Options
    I only recently started sweating during workouts...I believe it is due to the change in intensity. I never really pushed myself like this before. So...I see it as a good thing...
    And, I would have to agree with everyone that it has nothing to do with fitness level...fit or not fit, people sweat if they push themselves.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I sweat tons! Plus my face gets really red, just my face, nothing else. Just yesterday I was red faced and had sweat dripping off my face when I was doing my stretches after the treadmill. I could actually see the sweat drips on the floor! My hair on the back of my neck gets really wet too, which sucks because I have curly hair that I flat iron everyday!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I sweat a bunch. I think of it as a good thing though, helps me to know that I have done good at my workout. Though it does feel gross to have sweat dripping down your body and having your clothes sticking to you.:laugh:
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    you are sweating more now because your body has become more effecient at dispursing the heat you are generating. It shows your cardiovascular system is working well... If your not breaking a sweat ... you might as well be walking to the fridge for a cannoli!!! Keep up the good work!
    Jill
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I sweat tons! Plus my face gets really red, just my face, nothing else. Just yesterday I was red faced and had sweat dripping off my face when I was doing my stretches after the treadmill. I could actually see the sweat drips on the floor! My hair on the back of my neck gets really wet too, which sucks because I have curly hair that I flat iron everyday!

Amen! I get REALLY red too... and having to wash and flat iron the hair after every work out is a pain... but it's soooo worth it. :bigsmile:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well... I'm going to tell you this much... sweating has absolutely NOTHING to do with how many calories you burn! This is just another huge myth... and a VERY popular one I might add... "If I sweat more... I'm burning more calories." So... I see people in the gym (where they already keep it WAY TOO HOT) wearing sweatsuits, etc. Why???? They think if they make themselves hotter they will burn more calories and lose more weight. The fact of the matter is... sure... if they step on the scale immediately after they will see a weight loss. But what you don't know is... for every pound you lose you are supposed to replenish it with 16 oz. of WATER! Why is this??? You are terribly dehydrating yourself by doing this!!!!!

You will burn the same amount of calories whether you leave a puddle of sweat on the ground or not... as long as your heart rate is up where it needs to be. *sigh*
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RhondaCrombie
    RhondaCrombie Posts: 292
    Options
    When I first saw this topic, I thought it was "I SWEAR a lot when I workout..." LOL! I was going to say, "Why, yes, I DO swear..." :laugh:

But back to the REAL topic, I DO sweat a LOT, too. Lordy, it drips off my face and down into my glasses and eyes. UGH!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I wear layers just to ensure I sweat alot and also dont get burned in the sun.,...

But I love sweating, it makes me feel like I got an awesome workout....if I dont sweat alot, I feel I didnt push myself as much.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Amen! I get REALLY red too... and having to wash and flat iron the hair after every work out is a pain... but it's soooo worth it. :bigsmile:

Same here!!!!!! I love my Chi :happy: My face get's extremely red and sweat drips like crazy. People probably think I run a marathon everytime I'm running down by the lake!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think that your hydration status is a good explanation. I know when I used to exercise I never really broke a sweat, but I'd only drink 24 oz of fluid, if I was lucky. Now, I have been drinking 64 plus oz of water and have been sweating bullets! I wondered why I have been sweating so much, too. I thought maybe I was just working hard LOL. ;)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i sweat a lot... LIKE OMFG!!!! Like i Never sweated in my life... if i could i think i could make a glass of sweat. :laugh:

ANYWAYS but i think its just cause you need to drink water. well more :):drinker:
    oh yeah lol

but i sweat a lot when i do an hour worth of anything. and its just brawl out there xD
    and i used to turn red. but not anymore.. :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump