My Wife Deserves This...

Options

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think setting small goals makes it so much easier. It seems less daunting that way. You did an amazing job. Congratulations!
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Keep yourself reminded of your WHY!!! YOU can do it!
  • jennydoesketo
    jennydoesketo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! :)
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What a great story! You rock!!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!! And not only does your wife deserve it - you do, too!! Congratulations on your success.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Great job! not only does your wife deserve this, but you do!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My wife is a wonderful women and has loved me unconditionally for our entire life together. We have a spectacular marriage, but I have never been in good shape, and I always felt like she deserved a healthy husband. It took a long time, but I finally had the epiphany I needed.
    In July 2011, my Dad invited my family and my brother and his family to go on a vacation to Yellowstone. We rented a condo at the base of the Grand Tetons in Teton Village. One of the days we were there, just my brother and I went on a hike into Cascade Canyon, above Jenny Lake in the Tetons.
    That hike was the beginning. While on that hike, I realized how much I enjoyed hiking into places of such beauty, and knew that I wanted to keep hiking any chance I could get. I also realized that I would not be able to do that at 5 ft 10 inches, 220 pounds and 30% body fat.
    When we returned from that vacation, I already had a plan to lose weight. I knew I had to do it through diet and exercise, and I knew I wanted to have a three-tier goal:

1. Lose 15 pounds. This would put me in the overweight range on the BMI charts rather than obese. I considered this to be the bare minimum I had to do for the sake of my family and my own health.

2. Lose another 15 pounds. This would put me at 190 pounds which was the lowest weight I had ever reached as an adult. This is something I really wanted to accomplish; if I could achieve a stable weight of 190, I would consider myself a complete success.

3. Lose yet another 15 pounds. This was the dream. I really didn't think it was possible, but I thought I should dream big or go home. 175 pounds. Me? Yeah, right.

I started tracking calories and doing a lot of walking. Sure enough, the weight started to come off. I passed the first tier goal of 15 pounds by the end of September. By December, I had lost my second 15 pounds. In February 2012, I started doing P90X, at least most of it. I kept that up until June, when I asked a track coach friend of mine to help me learn how to run. Over the summer I did a fair amount of swimming and biked everywhere, even to go grocery shopping.
    When summer ended I stopped biking and swimming, but instead started to run distance. I am registered for my first half-marathon at the end of this month.
    So after the end of this 21 month journey, I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. At my work we have annual wellness checks performed by the local hospital staff.

My weight is 171 pounds.

My BMI is 25.0.

The scale measured my percentage body fat as 10.4%. I'm not sure I believe that, but it hardly matters. Last year at the same time the same scale measured me as 13.0%.

The best part about this is how I feel. I feel better than I have since college, and I am more physically capable than I have ever been. Period. Here's some of the things I can do now that I never thought I would be able to do:

20 decline pushups
    20 wide-fly pushups
    20 butterfly pushups
    4 pullups
    6 chinups
    Run four miles in less than thirty-six minutes
    Run twelve miles in less than two hours

The most important thing to success in my experience is to simply continue and to not let yourself go backwards.

My profile pic is current, I haven't posted any before pics yet.

I have been reading these success stories for a long time now, and they motivate me. Hopefully, mine will do the same. Thanks everybody.

I love the mountains and hiking but I'm unable to engage in the activity just yet. It helps to hear stories such as yours because I remember that transformation is possible. At my lowest weight of 215 pounds 11 years ago I could tear up the trail. I'll get there again, but this time to the ideal body weight of around 188-190.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yours is the kind of story that inspires and once again reaffirms that goals, consistency and motivation is a winning recipe for success. Well done.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing story!! :) way to go getting your healthy on!!!
  • murphey21
    murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well done! Congratulations! Remember though, as much as your wife deserves it, you deserve it too and should prould of yourself and the accomplishments you made! Great job!
  • Suzyqz37
    Suzyqz37 Posts: 12
    Options
    Congrats!! YOU deserve it too! Keep up the good work!
  • BigDaddyJeremy
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Although I still feel intimidated by the weight I have yet to lose, your story gave me a little kick in the butt. I have a lot more than you did to lose, but I'll keep plugging away.

Congratulations, by the way! And don't forget to celebrate with that muse of yours! :-)
  • LeenBess
    LeenBess Posts: 12
    Options
    So inspiring! I only hope you realize how important all you did is! God bless you! Stay the course...it's worth it!!!!!!!!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Great story and terrific accomplishment. Keep the dream going!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How wonderful! You started out doing this for your wife and realized how much it means to yourself, as well. Just awesome.
  • Otchcake
    Otchcake Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow!!! Such an awesome story! I'm just starting out on my journey to losing weight and getting in shape. I want to look the best I can for my hubby and be more active for my kiddies. Thanks for sharing your story - you've motivated me to stick with it! :)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. While yeah, your wife deserves it, don't ever forget that you do to bro! Keep kicking *kitten*, and thanks for the inspiration!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    awesome post! My hubby is where you were and he has finally decided to do something about his weight. Love your attitude --

a few summers ago I stayed at the Grand Teton Lodge - I think it's the most beautiful place on the planet!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You're a rockstar!!! Tell me though, since your diary's not public, what do you eat like? Are you really strict with your macros and eating "clean" or are you more lax so long as you fit it into your calories? Just curious. If I had to guess I'd say the former because you look really dedicated to this :smile:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely wonderful! Congratulations :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!