CHINESE FOOD diet.

Options
2»

Replies

• dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Also, I've stayed for prolonged periods of time in Japan and while that's not China, I DID notice that this diet made me feel very drained. A TON of carbs and vegetables and very little protein. (I'm used to having one trillion grams of protein a day.)

I think genetics is a factor as well. Most Chinese people I know feel absolutely starved on high protein, low carb diets.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am in Southeast Asia and people here are saying that too. Many of them say that if they don't have rice (presumably white since it is what most of them eat) include in each meal, it's not filling for them. Yet here in the west, it's the opposite...

:\
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Not diet as in weight loss,and not Chinese food as in orange chicken,egg rolls,and
    Ridiculous amounts of time spent at the buffet.I mean the typical Chinese diet, they don't count
    Calories yet they don't even know the word obese. They eat rice with OCCASSIONAL
    Meat added for flavor instead of meat being the main dish the vegetables are. 3 or 4
    Side dishes of veggies and fruit and they eat until they are full. They don't leave the table
    Until they are full! They obviously have better health than americans and they definitely look younger.
    I can never figure out how old they are, that's awesome.
    I feel like the main reason we people gain weight is from snacking. tIt's hard to eat 6-8 hundred
    Calories at each meal, three times per day and honestly say you're not full. Eating until you're
    Full and skipping snacks seems legit because counting calories is kinda annoying.
    Thoughts?
    Input?

Chinese folks have different genes. Have you seen mixed Chinese people born and brought up in US? They do gain weight just like normal Americans. However, I do agree with you that the chinese food in US is more for US folks, actual food in China is much healthier and more steamed veggies and fresh fruites....:)

I'm sorry, what now? there are plenty of full-blooded Asian people in America who are obese. It's not entirely genetics, it's lifestyle and environmental factors.

HOWEVER I will say that Indian, Filipino, and other east asian peoples ARE often genetically skinny, but genetics can be trumped by what you eat and how you eat it.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am in Southeast Asia and people here are saying that too. Many of them say that if they don't have rice (presumably white since it is what most of them eat) include in each meal, it's not filling for them. Yet here in the west, it's the opposite...

:\

true that. If you haven't had rice you haven't really eaten.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I was thinking more of stuff like bugs, caterpillars, dogs, more than the standard pig uterus, penis and suchlike you get in your average Chinese supermarket.

haha fair enough... chicken feet and hearts is probably the limit of my adventurousness for now... but I like to think that I'm willing to try anything, so maybe some day
    The life expectancy of someone in an affluent area is far beyond that of those in poorer places. Could the smaller average height have evolved as a direct result of generation after generation not having enough food to support taller people?

Smoking is common, blood pressure and strokes are an issue, dental health is almost non existent, pollution is horrendous, it's the foci of diseases such as influenza, SARS and so on. Plus, the poverty and suffering of the population from before WWII is going to have an effect upon the people now. For a start, as soon as they are experiencing greater affluence, they increase consumption of meat and processed foods. And are becoming fatter.

The principle of eating moderately applies everywhere. If you follow the habits of okinawan or Japanese people instead, as they have better longevity, the consistently appearing things are vast numbers of vegetables, fish, rice, exercise and eating lower calories. Lower than recommended here. But maybe the last is because they're smaller by average.

If someone wants to be small like the 'average' Chinese person (which average? Han? Or any of the other peoples that aren't mentioned but form huge proportions of the nation?), then perhaps they should remember that not only are they not an average Chinese person, but they don't live in the same environment or economy as the average Chinese person.

Totally agree with all your points - especially the size of the people. The American ideal of being "ripped" is counter-productive in terms of life expectancy. This carries over from the BMI thread. the actual key to living a long time is being trim, fit and active, but NOT bulked up and ripped. NOT an elite athlete. But also NOT being obese and sedentary. As with all things - moderation is the ideal in terms of longevity. Now if you've got other goals, that's something different.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't think the problem is snacking. I think it's what you're snacking on. If you snack on some carrots, or a piece of fruit, that's not going to make you fat. It will keep you from feeling like you're starving by the time you get to your next meal, and keep you from overeating.