What are your grocery store staples?

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Hey everyone!

I'm wondering what your staples are to keep in the fridge for meals or snacks. Some of mine are not so healthy, and I'm looking to change them up.

Apples...skim milk...eggs...oatmeal...?

Replies

• brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Freeze dried fruit in individual packets. Not dehydrated, but the "Crispy Green" brand. Only 40-55 cals, depending on the type of fruit used and they really help me through a potato chip craving. Must be the crunch.

Luigi's italian ice. The smallest size is about 50 cals, as I recall, and it hits the sweet spot.

I always have apples around and plums or peaches. Forget anything that needs peeling for a quick grab. If it takes effort, I'll go for something else and it won't be pretty.
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We have quite a plentiful store cuoboard. I make rough meal plans for my week and then buy accordingly.
    My regular fridge items are:
    •skimmed milk
    •natural yogurt
    •cottage cheese
    •salsa
    •courgettes
    •peppers
    •spinach
    •bananas

We use storecupboard and the freezer a lot so I regularly have freshly cooked chickpeas, beans, quinoa etc as well as portioned produce in the freezer (herbs, berries, chicken, fish, bacon, bread)

We love to cook so having a well stocked kitchen really helps, and freezing bread etc means we get to eat it every now and then without wasting money on spoiled food!
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    Fruit:
    Bananas, Apples, Oranges

Fridge:
    Greek Yoghurt
    Eggs
    Oatmeal
    Low Fat Milk

Freezer:
    Mixed Vegetables
    Chicken Breast
    Berries

Pantry:
    Brown Rice
    Canned Tuna

I could live off the above pretty well for ages, and aside from the fruit its all stuff that lasts ages.
  • hannahsearle
    Options
    Apples, strawberries, frozen berries, frozen bananas (like an ice cream yum) frozen portions of meat (chicken, salmon, fish, steak) greek yogurt, almond butter, 85% dark chocolate (VERY important!), eggs, tuna, green tea, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, oas, wholemeal pasta, canned chickpeas/tomatoes/beans, plenty if herbs and spices,, 2 vegie crispers ALWAYS full!
    I suppose I like some variety ;)
    BUT, I think what's more important is what you don't have! No prepackaged, highly processed, high sugar/sodium/artificial foods! No sugary drinks, unhealthy treats, cereals and biscuits, processed meat etc. once you've stopped eating them, appreciating the taste of healthy food is so much easier!
  • QuirkyRedhead
    Options
    Apples, Oranges, Bananas, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots, low fat string cheese, zucchini, squash, eggplant, spinach, boneless skinless chicken breast, and ground turkey.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Salad fixins, lots of them all prepped up like a salad bar...and cottage cheese, no salt added...surprised I got used to that. Fresh fruit, trail mix, protein powder, eggs, I hard boil a dozen to have as a quick snack, Nature Valley peanut granola bars..the protein ones with dark chocolate, Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt. Fish, Salmon filets can easily be defrosted and cooked in the broiler in minutes.

I once bet my husband I could have a healthy dinner ready in less time than it would take him to drive to Burger King and back to get Whopper meals. We had broiled Salmon, microwaved "baked" sweet potatoes with just a pat of butter and steamed veggies...and a bottle of wine as reward for not eating that crappy takeout.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    -beef
    -eggs
    -pork
    -cream
    -milk
    -butter

I do a lot of cooking, but sometimes I'll have cans of chicken to pop open for a snack.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Soy/tamari
    Sake
    Mirin
    Chicken stock cubes
    Ras el hanout
    Turmeric

Canned tuna
    Canned sweetcorn
    Canned tomatoes

Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Onions
    Spring onions
    Garlic
    Eggs
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Avocado

Salmon
    Cheese
    Steak
    Chicken
    Shrimp

The ones in the last group are dependent upon being reduced to clear at the supermarket. I've also got udon and soba noodles and rice in the cupboard. So there's always something to eat.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The MUST list: Strawberries! Small apples! Carrots! Tomatoes! Pistachios (recent addiction)!

The GOOD TO HAVE list: Bread! Low fat cheese spread! Plain low sodium biscuits!
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    These are the basics that we almost always buy.

-Assorted lettuces, baby carrots, tomatoes, avocados, red potatoes, garlic, fresh salsa, asparagus, bananas, apples, strawberries, pineapple, frozen berries

-1/3 less fat cream cheese, 1% milk, assorted cheeses (mozza, cheddar, havarti, swiss from deli counter for sandwiches and homemade pizza)

-Tortillas, hard corn taco shells, 100% whole wheat bread, brown or white rice, 100% whole wheat flour, dried beans (for soups, crockpot refried beans, chilis), pasta

-Chicken breast, chicken thighs or legs (because sometimes the extra fat makes a meal), tilapia, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, chicken sausages, pastrami or roast beef from deli counter (sandwiches!), eggs, ground turkey
    Extras:
    spice packets for things like gravy, tacos, chili. The ethnic aisles have fun liquid packets for Asian dishes like adobo, sweet and sour...low sodium soy sauce.
    Ice cream or fruit bars.
    Breakfast cereal for hubs and little one.
    Frozen spring rolls as a fun side with dinners.
    Frozen burritos for lazy lunches.
    Dark chocolate.

These are the things we usually go for. Just depends on what the menu is and if I am trying any new recipes. I like to stick to staple, kid friendly meals. Homemade pizza, tacos/burritos, chicken dishes, salads
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Natural yoghurt
    Fruit: always apples, bananas, oranges + whatever fruit is in season
    Vegetables: always leafy greens + varying other veg (depends on my recipes that week)
    Tinned chopped tomatoes
    Wholewheat pasta
    Wholewheat bread
    Walnuts and pistachios
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, avocado.

Cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, watercress, rocket, spinach, cucumber, raddish, celery, tomato's.

Eggs, cheese, single and double cream, butter, full fat Greek yogurt.

Meat, poultry and fish, along with the fruit and veggies, must be fresh.

Flax, ground almond, almond slithers, coconut oil, seeds especially chia seeds.

Tinned tuna and sardines (the only food I buy in tins).

Edit to add (things I had missed).
  • GoNicoleee
    Options
    Some of my favorites are:

Baby carrots
    Cucumbers (I use them instead of crackers for tuna/chicken salad)
    Apples
    Plums (2 plums are only 70 calories)
    Grapes! (love them! Frozen too!)
    Strawberries (stuff them with a little FF whipped cream)
    Canned tuna/chicken
    Egg whites
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk
    Kashi Go Lean cereal (probably the most processed food I eat, and it isn't that processed!)
    Roasted red pepper hummus (plain is also good, I just like the kick peppers give!)
    Plain Greek Yogurt (add fruit, Splenda, etc. to sweeten it)