Stronglifts 5x5 + running success

Options
I was 3 weeks into insanity when I decided to add weight training one day.

That day changed things for me. I was getting more in shape with insanity, but wasnt losing the weight I expected... I actually netted losing 3lbs in about 3 weeks (didnt record weight gain)

On Feb 27th I started doing stronglifts and on Feb 28th stopped doing insanity. my calorie intake with insanity was no more than 2300 a day. Starting on the 28 that changed to 2000-3000 calories a day. With running on every other day.

Insanity did get me back to running shape ~10min miles, but strong lifts in this short time has reduced my time for running from 9:55min miles to 9:23 min miles for 5 miles. I am also on my way back to football strength with starting with 145lb squats 165lb bench 105lb rows 95lb press and 175lb deadlifts and am now at 225lb squats 205lb bench 145lb rows and 245lb deadlifts and dont feel like I will be stalling anytime soon. Also have lost 12 lbs and am at about 22% body fat and falling.

I hope this encourages someone to start lifting heavy(with proper form) and try running.

Replies

• cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I was 3 weeks into insanity when I decided to add weight training one day.

That day changed things for me. I was getting more in shape with insanity, but wasnt losing the weight I expected... I actually netted losing 3lbs in about 3 weeks (didnt record weight gain)

On Feb 27th I started doing stronglifts and on Feb 28th stopped doing insanity. my calorie intake with insanity was no more than 2300 a day. Starting on the 28 that changed to 2000-3000 calories a day. With running on every other day.

Insanity did get me back to running shape ~10min miles, but strong lifts in this short time has reduced my time for running from 9:55min miles to 9:23 min miles for 5 miles. I am also on my way back to football strength with starting with 145lb squats 165lb bench 105lb rows 95lb press and 175lb deadlifts and am now at 225lb squats 205lb bench 145lb rows and 245lb deadlifts and dont feel like I will be stalling anytime soon. Also have lost 12 lbs and am at about 22% body fat and falling.

I hope this encourages someone to start lifting heavy(with proper form) and try running.

It has!!!...Started Stronglifts, yesterday...Not sure if my form was great, but i did it....And, I will incorporate running, biking, swimming, cardio stuff, every other day too....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just started doing pretty much the same thing. Will let you know how it goes.
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great Job. I've tried strong lift 5x5 recently and plan on adding to my fitness regimen.
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    Everyone who starts stronglifts should look at both of these on Youtube: (FORM IS KEY!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU

Also look up each workouts form videos by mark rippetoe and I have a personal favorite for powerlifting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8x-Te2J8Ao&feature=share&list=FL6Q-TWTqsBu2tg3kz5GQscQ

good luck everyone
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Funny timing as I just did stronglifts followed by a run! Well done!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Everyone who starts stronglifts should look at both of these on Youtube: (FORM IS KEY!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU

Also look up each workouts form videos by mark rippetoe and I have a personal favorite for powerlifting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8x-Te2J8Ao&feature=share&list=FL6Q-TWTqsBu2tg3kz5GQscQ

good luck everyone

Bumping due to good vids.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just added strong lifts into my workout routine this week. I love the thrill of lifting weights! I can't wait to start seeing results from it. I do cardio on my off days.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links. So many different way to train, you wonder sometimes which way to go. I think changing your routine is a good thing no matter what you do
    JC
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Nice, I used 5x5 as my starting program too...
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm just replying to make it easier to find the video links when I get home, away from the work firewall that blocks YouTube. I've been lifting weights with machines, but am pretty seriously considering switching up to Stronglifts now.
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nice post
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Will check our videos, my form sucks. Thanks
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lostone31
    Options
    I'm just replying to make it easier to find the video links when I get home, away from the work firewall that blocks YouTube. I've been lifting weights with machines, but am pretty seriously considering switching up to Stronglifts now.

in my head machines are the devil to weight training and can reduce overall power by 65% I have read. You are not balancing the weight and those little muscles that you dont know about are not firing.

Squat and deadlifts work the most muscles of any workout. Do not do them in a smith machine.

This is of mark rippetoe correcting squat form for the HIP DRIVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

And for the love of all that is holy do not curl in the squat rack!!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • IAmPersuaded
    IAmPersuaded Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Going to check out those videos...thanks!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

in my head machines are the devil to weight training and can reduce overall power by 65% I have read. You are not balancing the weight and those little muscles that you dont know about are not firing.

Squat and deadlifts work the most muscles of any workout. Do not do them in a smith machine.

Good job with your improvement and success.

I don't think that all machines are evil. Sometimes isolation exercises are good for the body and the soul, at least for me. I use both, depending on the exercise and what is available at the my gym ; I know the difference between using machines vs. free weights, so not need to clarify that. I fire a lot of little muscles with core exercises in my fitness classes.

Good luck and thank you for the links.
  • Lostone31
    Options

Good job with your improvement and success.

I don't think that all machines are evil. Sometimes isolation exercises are good for the body and the soul, at least for me. I use both, depending on the exercise and what is available at the my gym ; I know the difference between using machines vs. free weights, so not need to clarify that. I fire a lot of little muscles with core exercises in my fitness classes.

Good luck and thank you for the links.

agreed, I just really hate 2 machines... smith machine, treadmills.
    Good luck with your workout as well.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I just started StrongLifts 5x5 a week ago. I have been watching workout A+B like several times and are watcing Mark Rippetoe constantly too. They are great videos. I am practicing form with a broomstick, :laugh: . I tried running, but after half a year two- three times a week, I still can´t do more than like 110 yards before I have to walk. So I needed to do something else. And I already love lifting. Thank you for sharing your story!!