Losing weight while on metformin

Options
I've been on Metformin for a few months and was told (by my doctor and others) that I would lose weight while taking it. Well, it has decreased my appetite but I haven't lost more than about two pounds. I have been trying to watch my calories but haven't been logging due to **insert poor excuse here**. I'm starting to start logging again but was just wondering if anybody has had any success losing great amounts of weight while on metformin. I have to take it with food, which makes it hard because I like to just eat when I'm hungry and I'm often not hungry any more. Which means I have to force myself to eat something just to take the pill. For anybody not familiar with the medication, it causes all sorts of digestive upset (severe at times) when not taken with food. I seem to experience more stomach upset when I take it with a smoothie. I don't know why it would make a difference if I'm eating/chewing a meal versus drinking a meal but it does.

Any ideas/tips on how to get past the stomach upset while on it? Any success stories while taking met?

Replies

• kdmbennett
    kdmbennett Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for nearly a month. I haven't noticed a huge weight loss from it. My doctor told me it would make it easier for the weight to come off but wasn't a miracle drug. I have been logging my food and trying to watch my calorie intake and make better choices and have started exercising as well. I have noticed that I'm not as hungry as I was before and my cravings have started to go away.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I have been on metformin for years and can not tell a differnce with wanting to eat. I guess I didn't realize to take it with food as at night I don't.
  • traceywaananenstieb
    traceywaananenstieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been on Met for about 4 years now. I haven't noticed any real weight loss. I'm buckling down more in recent weeks and tracking everything. I've had 3 weeks of no loss at all (and I'm just starting so I thought there would be some water weight or something). I've been working out at least 4 times a week....just hoping that if I keep it up eventually something will kick in and change.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I'm on it for PCOS and my doc almost all of her patients who are on met for PCOS have lost an average of 15 lbs +. I was just hoping it would make it easier but so far I've not seen any loss. I'm gonna have to step up my exercising more I know but I was just hoping to be one of those lucky patients. I'm on 1500 mg and she had mentioned upping me to 1800 possibly. I'm due to go back in and get evaluated to see how well it's working...
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine was diagnosed as diabetic and put on metformin. He immediately went on a diet and started walking every day. Within two months he had lost 25 pounds and the doctor let him stop the meds as long as he kept the sugar down. He still walks almost every day. He has kept the weight off and has not had to go back on meds for almost two years. Good luck to you.