ACNE

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was your age with the same problem. I too drank a crap load of water. Just a few things I figured out along the way:
    1. Fat does not cause acne.
    2. Sugar does not cause acne, though I initially thought that given I was eating a bit and had acne. Cut it out and it didn't work. A bad diet can cause it though. That being said with the wrong diet cutting out certain things could benefit it but that doesn't make it the cause.
    3. Since you brought up number 1, are you sure you're getting enough fat in your diet? Most of the nutrient dense foods you are eating have fat soluble nutrients. If you're not getting enough fat, you're not absorbing those nutrients.
    4. Shampoo, change it. That was a big one for me. Especially if you're getting acne around the forehead and chin.
    5. Fixing the problem should not consist of one size fits all like cutting out sugar and coffee. I eat plenty of both when I thought it was the culprit before. Peoples diets are different, the thing you are missing may not be the thing that another person was missing/having to much of.

This is a shot in the dark but I'll bring it up. What is your macronutrients set up like? And are you hitting your micronutrients? I find that if I eat to many carbs and don't hit my protein and fat goals (which I have set up much higher then MFP recommendations) I start to break out again. No, carbs are not evil, I eat plenty of them. But if I lack the other things, I break out. So if I exercise I can eat more extra calories, and I usually choose carbs, and have no problems. If I don't and decide to have a bunch of carbs and don't hit my protein and fats, I break out. Get adequate protein and fats first, then fill the rest with carbs or whatever you like.

Also worth mentioning I hated dairy as a kid and never drank it. I drink several glasses a milk a day now with no problems.
  • frommichellewithlove
    frommichellewithlove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Water. Green Tea. Water. Rinse Repeat. Really these anti-oxidants and keeping your body hydrated are 2 of the greatest things you can do for your skin.

Love green tea!!! I havent been drinking it as much lately! Do you reccommend green tea supplements or just drinking it?
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    I was your age with the same problem. I too drank a crap load of water. Just a few things I figured out along the way:
    1. Fat does not cause acne.
    2. Sugar does not cause acne, though I initially thought that given I was eating a bit and had acne. Cut it out and it didn't work. A bad diet can cause it though. That being said with the wrong diet cutting out certain things could benefit it but that doesn't make it the cause.
    3. Since you brought up number 1, are you sure you're getting enough fat in your diet? Most of the nutrient dense foods you are eating have fat soluble nutrients. If you're not getting enough fat, you're not absorbing those nutrients.
    4. Shampoo, change it. That was a big one for me. Especially if you're getting acne around the forehead and chin.

This is a shot in the dark but I'll bring it up. What is your macronutrients set up like? And are you hitting your micronutrients? I find that if I eat to many carbs and don't hit my protein and fat goals (which I have set up much higher then MFP recommendations) I start to break out again. No, carbs are not evil, I eat plenty of them. But if I lack the other things, I break out. So if I exercise I can eat more extra calories, and I usually choose carbs, and have no problems. If I don't and decide to have a bunch of carbs and don't hit my protein and fats, I break out. Get adequate protein and fats first, then fill the rest with carbs or whatever you like.

Also worth mentioning I hated dairy as a kid and never drank it. I drink several glasses a milk a day now with no problems.

Thank you so much for taking time out to tell me all of this. I truly appreciate it. And I appreciate all of you posting on here. You all are AMAZING.
    Could you explain macro and micro nutrients to me? I keep hearing it but dont really understand (forgive me)

I do my best to have a high protein, lower carb diet (but not insanely low carb)
    feel free to check out my food diary (not yesterday, or weekends particularly because I break my routines on the weekends) and let me know what you think. maybe there is something I could be incorporating into my diet that isnt there, or something I could try taking out.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking time out to tell me all of this. I truly appreciate it. And I appreciate all of you posting on here. You all are AMAZING.
    Could you explain macro and micro nutrients to me? I keep hearing it but dont really understand (forgive me)

I do my best to have a high protein, lower carb diet (but not insanely low carb)
    feel free to check out my food diary (not yesterday, or weekends particularly because I break my routines on the weekends) and let me know what you think. maybe there is something I could be incorporating into my diet that isnt there, or something I could try taking out.
    No problem and I just added some things to that post so you may want to read it again.

Macro nutrients are protein, fat, and carbs.
    Micro nutrients are the rest of the nutrients.

If you read up on protein over weight people need extra, exercising people need extra, etc. The MFP recommendations are based on the RDI which is suppose to be the minimum for a healthy individual but ironically it doesn't take into account the energy metabolism so it's also a minimum for healthy sized sedentary individuals. Most healthy people who exercise and looked into things recommend about 1.8g/kg of body weight or .8g/lb of body weight. Initially that sounded ridiculous to me since I was ignorant of many things but after researching it I stuck to it. My nails have gotten stronger and so has my hair and it's also gotten a fair bit silkier. Some people who have not looked into protein requirements may bring up the fact that to much protein can cause liver problems, and they would be correct. And to much protein is far more then that. Protein is also important for keeping lean body mass, and helps get rid of more fat during weight loss. The biggest problem you'll see on these forums is someone (who has not looked into any of this) on a low calorie diet telling an obese individual they're having to much protein because 1 they're not eating enough and 2 they're not obese.

Fats, you need them to absorb nutrients, don't skimp out on them.

Carbs, they are not evil. But make sure you fill the other 2 before you fill this one. They are important for recovery of muscles during exercise.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    After looking at your profile and seeing that you are a fairly slim girl who has a very low calorie goal much lower then your BMR and much lower then mine I would say you're not eating enough fat and you're not eating enough protein. I was in the same situation. I was also very cold lol.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I have hormonal acne. I'm almost 26, and it's always there a little bit, but it's definitely worse when I get stressed (and being in veterinary school, that happens a lot, haha!). For me, keeping it under control is a combination, none of which are food. 1) Keeping my face clean. I rarely wear make-up, and I use a gentle cleanser (like Spectro or Cetaphil) twice a day, plus after work-outs. As soon as I finish a work-out, I use unscented baby wipes if I can't shower right away. This also means keeping my hair clean and my pillow cases clean. 2) Birth control pills. 3) A supplement called Perfect Skin by Genuine Health. It's mostly omega-3 fish oil with chromium and zinc and some other stuff. It's not cheap but I did see a huge improvement in my skin after I'd been on it for about 3 weeks. But everyone's different, so it might not work for you.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    After looking at your profile and seeing that you are a fairly slim girl who has a very low calorie goal much lower then your BMR and much lower then mine I would say you're not eating enough fat and you're not eating enough protein. I was in the same situation. I was also very cold lol.

Thanks for checking me out! How much protein do you consider a lot?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I have hormonal acne. I'm almost 26, and it's always there a little bit, but it's definitely worse when I get stressed (and being in veterinary school, that happens a lot, haha!). For me, keeping it under control is a combination, none of which are food. 1) Keeping my face clean. I rarely wear make-up, and I use a gentle cleanser (like Spectro or Cetaphil) twice a day, plus after work-outs. As soon as I finish a work-out, I use unscented baby wipes if I can't shower right away. This also means keeping my hair clean and my pillow cases clean. 2) Birth control pills. 3) A supplement called Perfect Skin by Genuine Health. It's mostly omega-3 fish oil with chromium and zinc and some other stuff. It's not cheap but I did see a huge improvement in my skin after I'd been on it for about 3 weeks. But everyone's different, so it might not work for you.

Like the above person said it's amazing what a clean pillow case can do. And while I was told mine was hormonal and when I was on birth control pills it did help, a diet change made a world of difference with me. You'd never say I had a problem. Other then my freckles, my face is pretty damn clear now for a 30 year old old biddy.
    62403_10152660639705607_1953728219_n.jpg
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I take biotin 2 times a day and it has helped my skin, nails and hair ....its in the vitamin section of stores ,,,, I got mine at Walmart .....
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i like the green tea with mint, no way the pill is as good for you as just drinking it

I also like washing my face with lava soap. it's like having a clay mask every day.
    and it lasts for months for me, i think i need to buy it maybe every 2 months,
    and it's the only thing I use for washing besides the masks I already said.
    i'm not sure if it has made much of a difference, but you could try it.
    also, it's one of the few soaps that doesn't dry out my hands and give me a rash,
    so if you dont like it on your face, you can always just use it for basic handwashing or
    give it to a guy friend or brother. supposed to be good for getting off grime from working
    on cars and stuff.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I take biotin 2 times a day and it has helped my skin, nails and hair ....its in the vitamin section of stores ,,,, I got mine at Walmart .....
    ^biotin is great for the skin nails and hair. It binds to proteins, if you're not getting enough protein, it's not much good. Also, if you don't want to take pills, you can eat an egg, there's lots of it in those :)
  • BlutifulBabie
    Options
    I have always had bad acne as well. It cleared a bit when I had my daughter 3 years ago but over the past 9 months or so, I have cut out pop, used Mary Kay religiously twice a day and have tried to limit my cheese consumption (I love cheese/dairy). It has seriously done wonders and does not make my face dry, break out or sensitive (some products that were prescribed did).
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My Doc told me to give up dairy... haven't had a blemish since. And it was BAD before. Good luck.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out dairy, as someone mentioned, for a few weeks to see if there is an improvement. If not, then cut out wheat for a few weeks.

Dairy and wheat are two big triggers for a lot of people with acne.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    i'm in my 30's i'm probably going to have it till i'm a hundred.
    Actually, you will find that menopause really changes your skin. No more zits.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    I have moderate acne and NOTHING I eat or product I've used has helped... Except tanning. Crazy, I know but whenever I tan, my face clears up and stays clear.

same here! being in the sun helps my skin a lot! its the vitamin d, isnt it? i bought vitamin d supplements and have been taking them and i thought it was working for a while but i honestly dont think it is. lol
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    to anyone i havent replied to yet, thank you so much!!!!! i feel so loved with all of the advice :) feel free to add me as a friend on here. i need all the buds i can get! xoxo
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    i like the green tea with mint, no way the pill is as good for you as just drinking it

I also like washing my face with lava soap. it's like having a clay mask every day.
    and it lasts for months for me, i think i need to buy it maybe every 2 months,
    and it's the only thing I use for washing besides the masks I already said.
    i'm not sure if it has made much of a difference, but you could try it.
    also, it's one of the few soaps that doesn't dry out my hands and give me a rash,
    so if you dont like it on your face, you can always just use it for basic handwashing or
    give it to a guy friend or brother. supposed to be good for getting off grime from working
    on cars and stuff.

very very interesting! i have never heard of lava soap. what is in it?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I have moderate acne and NOTHING I eat or product I've used has helped... Except tanning. Crazy, I know but whenever I tan, my face clears up and stays clear.

same here! being in the sun helps my skin a lot! its the vitamin d, isnt it? i bought vitamin d supplements and have been taking them and i thought it was working for a while but i honestly dont think it is. lol
    Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, if you are not getting enough fat, it doesn't help much. Also, in supplemental form, it isn't well absorbed. It's better absorbed via the sun/tanning. It is created on the skin during this process and later absorbed. sunblock prevents the creation and showering/bathing washes it off. That's one of the many reasons it's recommended not to shower immediately after sun bathing. I'm a pale red head and still find light doses of sun or tanning (when I can convince the salons to let me) highly helpful.