Before and during...18 lbs down...

Options
So I know it's a small victory compared to so many amazing success stories, but for me it's a big deal. I am 5'7" and I went from 120 lbs in college (15+years ago) to weighing in at almost 197 lbs this past January, which is the heaviest I've ever weighed. I dressed up in costume for a sci-fi convention, which is something I enjoy doing, and almost cried at the photos because I was so out of shape. That's when I decided to start meticulously counting calories (I average about 1400 a day), went vegetarian, started keeping track of my macros, and actually started using the gym membership I'd been paying for. I am now down just over 18 lbs. at 178 lbs. It's not very much and I have about 38-43 more to go to reach my goal weight range... but that's better than 61 :)

My counter says only 13 lbs down, but that's because I put in the wrong weight when I first started and MFP wouldn't let me change it. It's not a very big change either way, but this is the first time I've been under 180 lbs in over a decade and the first time I've had an "after" picture of any kind, so it's a big deal to me.

The left is me at the sci-fi convention in January a week before I went on a diet, the right is me this morning. Please excuse stupid IKEA etched mirror and unmade bed ;)

beforeduring1_zps8c3962f0.jpg

Replies

• delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are doing a fantastic job. The results are showing. Losing feels good, doesn't it?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it sure does, and so does running for 3 miles on the treadmill without thinking I was gonna need to call 911 ;)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Good for you, congrats! :drinker:
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and I can see the big changes. Keep up the good work & congratulations!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Keep up the great work - you'll be at your goal in no time! :flowerforyou:
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My ticker is wrong too. I hate that you can't change it.

Great job, so far! Keep up the good work. :)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are my twin - 18 lbs down, same starting weight, same height, vegetarian (:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! Way to go and keep it up. You've got this!
  • babsybabe28
    Options
    Way to go!! It is stories like yours that keep me motivated! Well done!
    I know what you mean about the start weight. I put the wrong weight in when I started a few days ago I'm actually 7 pounds heavier than I thought so I have had to update and it wont let me change my starting weight. :-(
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    you can change your starting weight ~ go to the my home tab, on the left side, click on the weigh in link. Go to the bottom of the entry chart & click on edit previous entries. You can change your starting weight there. You can also do this by adding a new entry, with the correct weight on your start day, and then once added, delete the wrong date / weight on your list of previous entries. This will change your ticker. Easy Peasy!

Congrats on your progress! Keep up the great work!!
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    you can change your starting weight ~ go to the my home tab, on the left side, click on the weigh in link. Go to the bottom of the entry chart & click on edit previous entries. You can change your starting weight there. You can also do this by adding a new entry, with the correct weight on your start day, and then once added, delete the wrong date / weight on your list of previous entries. This will change your ticker. Easy Peasy!

Congrats on your progress! Keep up the great work!!

Thank you guys for the kind words and encouragement, and THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE STARTING WEIGHT! That's been making me sadface for weeks!
  • eibeelee
    eibeelee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hahaha...ugh story of my life...lol
  • pagermain
    pagermain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Good for you!

I'm 5'5" and started at the end of January at 191 lbs. Like you I've lost 17 lbs. and even though, like you, I have more to go, I agree that you (we) should celebrate! I found that losing even that amount of weight and the toning produced by exercise has made a big difference in how I look and feel!

You look great. Be proud of yourself!
  • bridget_williamson23
    bridget_williamson23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are doing an awesome job! 18 lbs is a big deal. Keep up the good work!
  • fbcarlson
    fbcarlson Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You can really see the difference!
  • Natalielp15
    Options
    Way to go! You are doing great!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    amazing job! I can't wait to hit 18 lbs down- I'm at 8!
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    amazing job! I can't wait to hit 18 lbs down- I'm at 8!
    You will get there in no time at all! Thanks, you guys! I didn't think there was much of a difference at all until I saw the side-by-side comparison... and tried on the formerly skin-tight "skinny jeans" that are now kind of loose :)
  • Lantzbug
    Lantzbug Posts: 58
    Options
    You're doing great, ad 18 pounds is fantastic. I've lost almost the same and I felt it wasn't much, but it really is. Congrats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!