TDEE minus 20% results

Options
I changed my weight loss strategy about a month ago. I had been eating 1200 and about three quarters of my exercise calories back. The problem was, I frequently didn't have time to exercise until evening, and would end up starving myself all day, only to end up with a load of calories I was too tired to eat in the evening. I wasn't progressing toward my fitness goals in the way I wanted either.

So I calculated my BMR-basal metabolic rate-(and subtracted a bit, because I have reasons for believing my BMR is lower than average) and my TDEE-total daily energy expenditure- based on the fact that I work out either strength or cardio five to six times a week - and subtracted 20%.

That has my calorie goal set at 1680. I have less than 25 pounds to goal. Since then, I've lost 0.8 pounds per week, without feeling deprived, able to work in birthday and Easter treats, and while still making gains in strength and endurance.

It's slower than it was before, but I feel better, so I call it a win.

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I do this for 1056 calories. I works for me. (I am tiny and sedentary.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to eat smaller amounts as well. It didn't work the last multiple times I have lost weight only to gain it and more. It is all in the planning!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's working for you, great job! :smile:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    That's good progress :) I just started doing the TDEE minus 20% as well so I'm hoping to see results too!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have done this too. My daily calorie allotment is now 1700 calories, I was eating around 1200-1300. I'm still afraid to eat the whole 1700 so I now average around 1500-1600. Thought it wasn't working but stepped on scale yesterday and lost a pound!! It has become painstakingly slow on losing the weight but I only have 10-15 more lbs to lose and I guess the closer you get to your goal weight the slower the loss. Patience, patience, and even MORE patience!!! lol
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I changed my weight loss strategy about a month ago. I had been eating 1200 and about three quarters of my exercise calories back. The problem was, I frequently didn't have time to exercise until evening, and would end up starving myself all day, only to end up with a load of calories I was too tired to eat in the evening. I wasn't progressing toward my fitness goals in the way I wanted either.

So I calculated my BMR-basal metabolic rate-(and subtracted a bit, because I have reasons for believing my BMR is lower than average) and my TDEE-total daily energy expenditure- based on the fact that I work out either strength or cardio five to six times a week - and subtracted 20%.

That has my calorie goal set at 1680. I have less than 25 pounds to goal. Since then, I've lost 0.8 pounds per week, without feeling deprived, able to work in birthday and Easter treats, and while still making gains in strength and endurance.

It's slower than it was before, but I feel better, so I call it a win.

Those numbers may not be right for you...

What's your body fat % if you know
    and your TDEE?
    My body fat percentage according to the Imperial calculator (the one the US Navy uses) is 27%, Fitness frog has my TDEE at 2359.

I've also increased the intensity of my lifting days workouts, and those make me gain weight, but man, you can bounce a quarter off my butt afterwards --- or is that TMI?
  • katiemihalak
    Options
    I am glad that you posted this. I only have 5-10 lbs to go and have been at 1200 calories a day and I am constantly hungry. I run, work out and am doing insanity. I am going to try this method. Wish me luck!
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you posted this. I only have 5-10 lbs to go and have been at 1200 calories a day and I am constantly hungry. I run, work out and am doing insanity. I am going to try this method. Wish me luck!

Good luck! It's better to go slower when you've less fat to lose, so you can hold on to more of your lean mass.