Need some help regarding sodium intake

Options
RLCoach
RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
I am having the hardest time trying to keep my salt (sodium) intake to 1500 -2400. I would say I average closer to 3000. I am trying to lower it, by eating fruits and vegetables and not eating as many processed foods, but I am not going to live on the "perfect diet", so here I am. I am getting better, but again not perfect.

Does exercise reduce any of the sodium during the day? And if so, is there a way to tell how much?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think drinking extra water would help for sure! Not sure about the exercise though!
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options
    I think drinking extra water would help for sure! Not sure about the exercise though!

I completely agree water should help a ton, just stay close to the bathroom lol
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Exercise, per se, will not "reduce" sodium. Exercise could indirectly help you get rid of it slightly faster by causing perspiration, which in turn helps you excrete salt which is contained in perspiration. The best way to get rid of sodium is drink water....lots of water. The more you drink, the faster you will flush excess sodium out of your system.

The best solution is make sure you are measuring sodium on your food diary, avoid processed foods, and when you do use them--become a label reader!! Sodium is a sneaky substance that shows up everywhere.

Don't assume eating vegetables automatically means you don't have to worry about sodium. Canned green beans--lots of sodium. Fresh green beans--basically none. Frozen green beans--check the label. If the package just has beans and no added salt, great. Beware of vegetables that list seasonings like "Asian style", or have sauces included with them.

If you like soup--make your own because most prepared soup has plenty of sodium in it. Whenever possible purchase low sodium soups and broth and it will help you reduce sodium intake.

Good luck with outfoxing sneaky sodium.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My diary is public if you want ideas. I restrict myself to 1500 a day, though I did spend the last week or so experimenting at a higher sodium level.
    I try to plan my food out 2 weeks at a time, so you should be able to view a good deal of daily food plans from me :)
    Today & Friday are pretty good examples