Help! What kind of fish is this?!

Options
Sorry, no picture. Here's the story though.

Basically, my father in law details private planes for a living. Detailing includes restocking what they need and throwing out what they don't. Since most if not all of his clients are very, very rich, they usually end up throwing away perfectly good food (I can't tell you how many unopened boxes I've seen to be thrown out because they've been "there too long"). Anyway, my father in law usually brings these things home because he doesn't think it should go to waste. He also knows I'm eating healthier so last night, he brought home a couple of really nice fillets of some type of white fish. I had it for lunch today but am not sure how to log it. I had it as tilapia, but after eating it there is NO way that's tilapia!

It was white, flaky but not terribly so. The meat was very firm and very meaty to chew. Kind of had the consistency of crab claws or lobster tail, something like that. It was very, very good. I just need help trying to figure out what it is so I can log properly. *ETA it was also very tall, not thin like most fillets are.

He also brought home the cutest little greens, they were the size and shape of a belgian endive, but that wasn't it. It was leafy and tasted pretty plain, like romaine, but definitely not as dark as romaine is. It was more yellow. Was this romaine lettuce and I've never seen it in such a cute form?! lol

These are the kind of things these people are constantly telling them to throw away. Unbelieveable.

Replies

• haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pollock is the white fish that is used to make imitation crab meat, so maybe it was pollock?

Where I live the most common white fish that is more dense is Cod. I don't think Cod really tastes like anything.

Anyway, there are two ideas to get you started! =)

Here is a link to a directory of some kinds of fish that you can check too...

http://www.mitchellsfishmarket.com/fishdirectory.cfm
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Walleye? Pike? Both very light tasting, cold water white fish.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Maybe sea bass--very white with large flakes when cooked.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Halibut.

Or chicken.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Monk fish?
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Orange Roughy? I think it is so good - a little thicker and it could taste like crab.

Kale might be the greens.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Halibut.

Or chicken.

Haha!

I think the closest one I found was sea bass. It looked nearly identical to this: http://www.sunrisefoods.com/store/media/seafood/chilean-sea-bass-fillets

And that's sea bass. Thank you! Now if only someone could tell me what the hell kind of greens I ate :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Orange Roughy? I think it is so good - a little thicker and it could taste like crab.

Kale might be the greens.

No definitely not kale...hate kale :sick:

I've never had orange roughy, I have heard it's really good though. Apparently, so is sea bass because if that's what it was, it's the best friggin fish I've had in my life next to fresh red-tailed snapper.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would guess sea bass or swordfish from your description.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Koi? Was it koi? Maybe it was koi. Coy koi...
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    escarole?

edited to add: I like that my answer to the topic of "What kind of fish is this?" is escarole. lol I'm talking about the greens now of course.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Chinese leaf aka Napa cabbage? It's the only thing I can think of that resembles chicory.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Little gem lettuce??
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Oh I think it was little gem lettuce!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My thought immediately was Monk Fish. They usually are thicker slabs, and they remind me of crab meat.