Maximum heart rate

Options
I'm 55 y.o., 6"2" and currently 192 lbs. I started using MFP to get a better handle on diet and exercise. I'd like to lose about 10 pounds but I'm really just trying to learn better about diet and exercise.

I've always been fairly active, but in spurts. last year I started running with a heart rate monitor and noticed that for the first mile or so my heart rate creeps up to the low 160's and then stays there. I quit running over the winter and have started again a week ago but I've been swimming and riding a stationary bike for the last month or so. I've been out running three times so far, each for 45 minutes and going almost exactly 4.5 miles. If I do the standard calculation my max heart rate is 165, but after the first mile or so I'm in the 160-165 range and it stays there even when I vary pace a bit. right after my run Thursday I tried to do some sprints to see what my true max was, but I only managed one sprint and my heart rate peaked at 165.

My question is, am I going about finding my max heart rate wrong, or could I actually be running for several miles at over 97% of max? Should I be running slower or am i just wrong in how I find the max?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The max I've seen on mine was during a 5k race on an uphill portion at the end. Basically I ran at a 7:58 pace for 2.5 miles and then kept the speed up when we had a hill climb towards the end. I think it was 185 or 186.

If you could run 4-5 miles at a pace that's pretty fast for you and then go straight into a hill (with no break) and run up it as fast as you can. That would probably get you a pretty good glimpse of what your max is.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm also 55 and my runs are usually between 155 and 170 for most of the time I'm out. I've been running for 3 years and everyone keeps telling me my HR will come down as my fitness improves but it never has and I haven't seen any ill effects from it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I use the 180 formula to determine my training heart rate
    Another MFP friend shared this with me and I am very grateful:
    http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm
    I'm 55 y.o., 6"2" and currently 192 lbs. I started using MFP to get a better handle on diet and exercise. I'd like to lose about 10 pounds but I'm really just trying to learn better about diet and exercise.

I've always been fairly active, but in spurts. last year I started running with a heart rate monitor and noticed that for the first mile or so my heart rate creeps up to the low 160's and then stays there. I quit running over the winter and have started again a week ago but I've been swimming and riding a stationary bike for the last month or so. I've been out running three times so far, each for 45 minutes and going almost exactly 4.5 miles. If I do the standard calculation my max heart rate is 165, but after the first mile or so I'm in the 160-165 range and it stays there even when I vary pace a bit. right after my run Thursday I tried to do some sprints to see what my true max was, but I only managed one sprint and my heart rate peaked at 165.

My question is, am I going about finding my max heart rate wrong, or could I actually be running for several miles at over 97% of max? Should I be running slower or am i just wrong in how I find the max?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

There is a fairly wide range of "normal" for maximum heart rates. The SEE for all HRmax estimating formulas is = or - 10-12 bpm, so that should give you some idea of the spread.

You obviously have an actual HRmax that is significantly higher than the formulas are estimating. You are not working at 97% of true HRmax.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did some reading and think the problem was that I was running too far too fast before trying to achieve max heart rate. My muscles were exhausted by that time and I just wasn't able to go any faster. I checked out the website recommended by Minimalistho and based on that and some other reading decided to keep my workouts in the 120-140 bpm range for a while. I'll try to hit max again some other time, after a more moderate workout.