Sugar?

Cytherea
Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I only recently (past few weeks) started to track my sugar- I was tracking sodium before, but when I wasn't seeing the results I expected, I thought that sugar might be the problem so I switched it.

Sure enough, I had no idea some of the things that have sugar in it! And the amount of sugar you can have compared to carbs in general is so low! I haven't quite mastered keeping it in range yet.

My question is this- are there any sugars that don't count? Or that don't matter AS much? For example, half a Naked smoothie bottle (or at least, the one that I have in front of me!) has 20 g of sugar in it. That's a day's worth! If I drink half of that bottle, does that mean I shouldn't eat any other fruits, or yogurt, or even carrots for the rest of the day?

I TRY not to eat too much "sweet" things... like desserts. I'm more of a salt-girl anyways (hence the sodium tracking!). But sure, every so often, I DO want a piece of chocolate or some frozen yogurt! A half a cup of frozen yogurt (fruit flavor) has between 20 and 25 grams of sugar (and that's not really a lot of froyo at all).

These things I generally tend to consider better for you than the alternatives (froyo is better than ice cream; Naked smoothie is better than juice with high fructose corn syrup), but they still have so much sugar.

On a day when I have a yogurt or Naked smoothie in the morning for breakfast, when I go to make a salad for dinner, I realize that I can't put carrots on it. And that just seems counter-intuitive to me.

Thoughts?!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I only recently (past few weeks) started to track my sugar- I was tracking sodium before, but when I wasn't seeing the results I expected, I thought that sugar might be the problem so I switched it.

Sure enough, I had no idea some of the things that have sugar in it! And the amount of sugar you can have compared to carbs in general is so low! I haven't quite mastered keeping it in range yet.

My question is this- are there any sugars that don't count? Or that don't matter AS much? For example, half a Naked smoothie bottle (or at least, the one that I have in front of me!) has 20 g of sugar in it. That's a day's worth! If I drink half of that bottle, does that mean I shouldn't eat any other fruits, or yogurt, or even carrots for the rest of the day?

I TRY not to eat too much "sweet" things... like desserts. I'm more of a salt-girl anyways (hence the sodium tracking!). But sure, every so often, I DO want a piece of chocolate or some frozen yogurt! A half a cup of frozen yogurt (fruit flavor) has between 20 and 25 grams of sugar (and that's not really a lot of froyo at all).

These things I generally tend to consider better for you than the alternatives (froyo is better than ice cream; Naked smoothie is better than juice with high fructose corn syrup), but they still have so much sugar.

On a day when I have a yogurt or Naked smoothie in the morning for breakfast, when I go to make a salad for dinner, I realize that I can't put carrots on it. And that just seems counter-intuitive to me.

Thoughts?!
    Here's my thoughts on sugar/cars I would prefer to eat the healthier ones first, like fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, etc. even a smoothie, probably using dairy. Perhaps if I still had carbs left for the day I might then plan in frozen yogurt or something that way.

As I was just rereading your post, I would most definitely give up the bottled smoothie for 20grams of sugar and eat a nice salad, far more benefits for sure. :) I don't drink bottled smoothies so I have no clue on the rest of the ingredients but with 20 grams of sugar I don't imagine it's all natural as in it probably has a long list of ingredients/chemicals listed?

Just my thoughts on carbs :)
    Becca♥
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    The amount of sugar recommended by the the FDA is determined by your calorie need for the day and only includes sugars that are added to food. Anything with natural sugars does not count-fruit, veggies, and whole grains. Having three pieces of fruit and some whole grain carbs would put you way over your sugar limit for the day, yet nobody is going to say that it would be bad to eat all that in one day. MFP really needs a away to separate those two sugar sources. If your smoothie has some type of sugar added, then it counts toward your sugar goal. If the sugar is only from the fructose and lactose, then don't worry about it.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112

Thoughts?!

Yes, you're right, not being able to add carrots to your salad in the evening is not a right way to track the sugars. :noway:

I agree with the previous comment- remove the bottled smoothies from your diet (you can make one at home yourself, with fresh ingredients, while balancing the ingredients you add into it).

As I mentioned in some previous post, FRESH fruits and veggies are the last to go off the anyone's menu. Especially veggies!!! They are vitamin bombs and are super healthy and good for us! So, don't overdo on fruit, but do not worry too much if you overdo on sugars by a little bit just because you ate some fresh fruit!! That's if you're not diabetic. Choose more often the foods that have protein, and you will be fine. :wink: :wink:

I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and feel great. I balance them with protein (nuts, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, eggs, etc.)

It's the added sugar (in breads, smoothies, ice cream, etc.) that you have to watch for. The natural sugars in fresh fruit (not canned!) is not even nearly as bad as the added sugar. Go for natural!

Hope this helps! :happy:
  • Cytherea
    As I was just rereading your post, I would most definitely give up the bottled smoothie for 20grams of sugar and eat a nice salad, far more benefits for sure. :) I don't drink bottled smoothies so I have no clue on the rest of the ingredients but with 20 grams of sugar I don't imagine it's all natural as in it probably has a long list of ingredients/chemicals listed?
    If your smoothie has some type of sugar added, then it counts toward your sugar goal. If the sugar is only from the fructose and lactose, then don't worry about it.
    I agree with the previous comment- remove the bottled smoothies from your diet (you can make one at home yourself, with fresh ingredients, while balancing the ingredients you add into it).

(Figured I'd reply to these all at once)

Well actually, the Naked (brand) smoothies have no added... well, anything! It is all natural, 100% juice, no sugar added, no preservatives, non-GMO (and gluten free and vegan). This particular one that I had, the label says:

"The fruit inside: 4.5 acerola cherries, 1/2 a coconut's water, 1/3 mango, 1/4 passion fruit, 1/3 orange, 1 apple, and a hint of pineapple."

From the ingredients: "coconut water, apple juice, pineapple juice, mango puree, orange juice, acerola cherry puree, passion fruit juice, natural flavors."

Underneath the nutritional information, it states "All sugars are found naturally in the fruit."

So hopefully, that clears that up! I don't have a blender, and I know that these smoothies are much better than ones you'd get from, say, Robeks or Jamba, so I've been trying a few of them and found one that I really like (that one). Thought it was a good breakfast idea. I'm surprised that it seems like nobody has heard of them!
    The amount of sugar recommended by the the FDA is determined by your calorie need for the day and only includes sugars that are added to food. Anything with natural sugars does not count-fruit, veggies, and whole grains. Having three pieces of fruit and some whole grain carbs would put you way over your sugar limit for the day, yet nobody is going to say that it would be bad to eat all that in one day. MFP really needs a away to separate those two sugar sources.

This is *exactly* what I needed to hear! It seemed to me that they *should* be separate, but since they weren't listed as such I thought they must all count, even though that didn't seem right to me. Carrots, you are back in the salad! ;) lol

I think we should make this suggestion in the suggestion forum. I might go do that now.

Thanks, everyone! =)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I did sugar tracking for about a week. I went over every day because of fruits and milk. I stopped tracking after that. I'm not giving up 2 whole food groups just because the system said I had too much sugar. I wish there was a way to differentiate between bad sugars and natural sugars on here.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    I agree!

2 apples and I was over. I removed sugar from my list the moment I found out the difference between natural and bad. It seemed pointless keeping it on.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    I agree too, I really hate comprehensive nutrient monitoring for this very reason! I much prefer a calorie controlled balanced approach. For example, when I'm talking to patients I might say base your meals in 1/4 carbs, 1/4 meat/protein source and half a plate of veg but veg (other than the high carb ones like potato, sweet potato, sweetcorn of course) would be a 'free food' ie a food you can eat as much of in a day as you like.
  • Cytherea
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/95016-sugar-separation?page=1#posts-1313003

Here is the suggestions post that I made about it, if anyone wants to show their support. ;)

The reason why I started tracking sugar was because I realized that it might be causing me problems. When I first joined the site, and I had extra carbs and calories left over, I'd eat candy (sugar-based candy, like nerds) to meet the calorie minimum. I realized that maybe this wasn't the best way, so I began to track the sugar. I still can't control it like I'd like to (but it is much better than before!!), but knowing that the fruits and veggies shouldn't count will definitely make that easier. I want to keep it on because currently, that's my biggest issue. I've found ways to better control my intake of fats and proteins and carbs, but not sugar. I wasn't really paying any attention to that on labels and I need to be to round this whole thing out, lol.
  • Cytherea
    Ok, so here's another question... is honey a natural sugar? I like to put a little bit of honey in my tea, but again, counting that means I can barely have anything else with sugar in it all day...
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Ok, so here's another question... is honey a natural sugar? I like to put a little bit of honey in my tea, but again, counting that means I can barely have anything else with sugar in it all day...

Raw honey is a natural sugar and is very beneficial to the human body.................Find a local source of honey or buy from a health food store and make sure there is no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or white sugar added.

I say this because most honey that comes from the grocery store has either HFCS or regular sugar added to it.............
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Well actually, the Naked (brand) smoothies have no added... well, anything! It is all natural, 100% juice, no sugar added, no preservatives, non-GMO (and gluten free and vegan). This particular one that I had, the label says:

"The fruit inside: 4.5 acerola cherries, 1/2 a coconut's water, 1/3 mango, 1/4 passion fruit, 1/3 orange, 1 apple, and a hint of pineapple."

From the ingredients: "coconut water, apple juice, pineapple juice, mango puree, orange juice, acerola cherry puree, passion fruit juice, natural flavors."

Underneath the nutritional information, it states "All sugars are found naturally in the fruit."

So hopefully, that clears that up! I don't have a blender, and I know that these smoothies are much better than ones you'd get from, say, Robeks or Jamba, so I've been trying a few of them and found one that I really like (that one). Thought it was a good breakfast idea. I'm surprised that it seems like nobody has heard of them!

, I can see how if you're out it could be a lifesaver, I eat my fruit but if I was out and only had access to a bottle then now I know what I could grab. Thanksfor sharing that info !

Becca
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I am always way over on my sugars too, but I eat lots of fresh fruit, and I have either oatmeal with local honey or yogurt for breakfast. I figure I'm eating healthy, whole foods, plus I have lost weight and reached my goal so obviously I've done something right. So I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you - it sounds like sodium was more of a diet buster for you anyway. Also, I know smoothies - even the "all natural" ones - are quick & easy but if you can manage to eat fresh fruits instead you'll be getting more vitamins and a lot of fiber in addition to the sugar, which overall is much better for you. It's time consuming, but I do spend a good 30 minutes every night preparing my breakfast & lunch for the following day to ensure I have healthy meals.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member

Raw honey is a natural sugar and is very beneficial to the human body.................Find a local source of honey or buy from a health food store and make sure there is no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or white sugar added.

I say this because most honey that comes from the grocery store has either HFCS or regular sugar added to it.............

Oh my god! Really??? That is like the absolute extreme of processing don't you think? Why would they need to do that? I guess maybe to make it cheaper... Back in Aust, we definitely do not add sugar to honey!!
  • Cytherea

I had NO idea that they do that... eeek!! My honey that I have (which is just regular grocery store honey) doesn't list HFCS or sugar ... there isn't even an ingredient list because it is supposed to be just honey! So I shouldn't trust it? I'll have to go buy some at the Farmer's Market this weekend!
    , I can see how if you're out it could be a lifesaver, I eat my fruit but if I was out and only had access to a bottle then now I know what I could grab. Thanksfor sharing that info !

Becca- exactly. They are kind of on the expensive side, but they are a great substitute for smoothies (Robeks, Jamba, etc.)/juice/soda if you want something more than water but is still good for you. And they are pretty filling, and easier than bringing a cooler full of fruit with you to work everyday! lol. Personally, I like the "light" ones better- they are made with coconut water and have less calories than the original kind. The original ones are really, really thick- the first time I had one I was shocked! These ones are still thick, but not nearly as much so I can drink them easier.

The only thing about them is that they are a bit expensive... but such is life. I know I'm better off grabbing one of these than a soda from a vending machine, so I deal. =)
This discussion has been closed.