What are your go to salads?

Options

Replies

• summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I make 4-6 identical salads each week in reusable containers and eat those for lunch everyday until I run out. Sometimes I'll get the Trader Joes Cobb salad, or a salad from Subway if I am short on time. I have a pinterest board with all the salads I want to try:
    http://pinterest.com/superspaghetti/healthy-lunches/

This week I'm doing the green juice salad. Some other favorites were the grilled Asian steak salad, buffalo chicken cobb salad, Autumn chopped salad, and chipolte chicken taco salad. I'm looking forward to trying many of the others. Sometimes I'll change up the recipe a bit (less oil, light ingredients, less nuts, etc.) to make it lower cal.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad with crispy bacon bits! But when I was in France once I had a salad with toasted malt loaf. I've tried several times to copy it but never quite got it right....
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm boring when it comes to homemade salad lol. Just iceberg lettuce, cucumber slices, and grape tomatoes. I measure out 2 tbsp of whatever salad dressing I like and tada. If I feel enthusiastic, I fry some fresh bacon and throw together a ceasar salad, but without the croutons (who has croutons on hand as a regular thing anyway?)
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. All these sound really good. :)
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat a BIG SALAD almost every day. I always start with the prepackaged salad because I like the green variety and carrots they contain. In most salads, I include the following:
    red onions
    Braggs Amino
    something crunchy like crumbled rice cakes (or croutons)
    a little kale for the vitamins
    something crunchy like nuts and/or chopped raw cauliflower
    something sweet/fruity like raisins, strawberries, craisins, pineapple, or clementines

I then add different ingredients to give it a particular flare:
    Mediterranean: Feta or grated cheese, Pepperoncini Peppers, Artichoke hearts, sliced olives, dried julienne tomatoes, and low cal italian dressing
    Southwestern: grated or crumbled cheese, Pico De Gallo, Texas Caviar (beans and stuff from Costco)
    American: grated or crumbled cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes, cucumber, strawberries or pineapple, 3 or 4 bean salad, broccoli and cal ranch dressing,
    Asian: Ginger, grated orange peel, almonds, sesame seeds, water chestnuts, rice wine vinegar, shredded cabbage

I'm not much of a meat eater but when I want some, I select from the following:
    an ounce or 2 of chicken or turkey breast
    chopped shrimp (cilantro shrimp from Costco is really, really good)
    1- 1.5 slices of turkey bacon

Once I've made my BIG SALAD, I graze on it for hours adding more lettuce (prepackaged salad) or shredded cabbage until the non-lettuce (calorie laden) stuff is gone, Lettuce and cabbage are "free" calories so I can have all I want.
    :bigsmile:
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have two: Mexican and Greek, both start with a huge pile of spring mix and baby spinach.

For Mexican, I add diced tomatoes, cucumber (peeled & seeded), and a Morningstar Farms black bean burger (or plain black beans if I won't have access to a microwave). I dress it with salsa or a homemade tomatillo salsa (tomatillos, jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, green onion, lime juice & garlic). Sometimes I'll add a little bit of shredded colby jack cheese.

For Greek salad, I use diced English cucumber, sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas and feta cheese. I purchased a Greek vinaigrette, but I also like it with2 tbsp plain fat free Greek yogurt whisked with some lemon juice. This would be good with some red onion and kalamata olives, but I haven't had either since I started making this salad.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use iceberg, romaine, and baby spinach, cucumber, yellow squash, red/green/yellow bell peppers, celery, and cherry tomatoes.
    If I want to add protein, I use what ever lean meat I have on hand or cut up a stick of string cheese or add cottage cheese.
    Sometimes I use a fat free raspberry vinegar dressing.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I use the prepackaged salads as a base (Fresh Express). Then I usually add in (chopped up), 1/2 an avacado, tomato, a bit of cucumber and some red or orange pepper (sweet). There's enough flavor from the avacado, tomato and peppers that I can avoid adding dressing =)

I do this too, so yummy! I add a tiny bit of sea salt... ;-) Today I also added a little medium salsa too, soooo good!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make a strawberry spinach salad with honey roasted almonds and poppy seeds. The dressing is a mix of balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce among bits of other things, along with olive oil.
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this tandoori chicken and spinach salad for the first time. Chicken is marinating in this lemony spicy yogurt sauce and waiting to be grilled tomorrow. Here's the link.
    http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2010/10/tandoori-chicken-and-spinach-salad.html
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Tomato, Mushroom, Red Capsicum, Lettuce
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Caesar with bacon and croutons.

Otherwise I go to away from salad as quickly as I can.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    My choices:
    -Greek Salad
    -Homemade Chicken Spinach Salad w/ peanuts.
    -Homemade Three Bean Salad.
    -Chinese Chicken Salad.
    etc.
    (Greek Salad is my #1 pick.)
  • EmmyLoop
    EmmyLoop Posts: 14
    Options
    Crabstick, cucumber, soy or ponzu sauce, lemon juice, sriracha or wasabi, and avocado if you want. Mix as little as possible.
    Just like sushi (but no rice--it's like eating a Japanese sugar cube).
  • EmmyLoop
    EmmyLoop Posts: 14
    Options
    Greek Tabbouleh has a LOT of calories surprisingly.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1 cup cooked white quinoa
    2 cups baby spinach
    100 grams grape tomatoes, halved
    1 red apple, chopped
    ¼ cup sliced almonds
    8 oz grilled chicken breast, sliced
    ¼ cup full-fat bacon bits
    Dressing: 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp lemon pepper, and 2 tbsp Robert Rothschild Farm's Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Sauce or Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce.
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    2 - 3 cups mixed greens
    5 medium strawberries sliced
    1 oz goat cheese
    Sliced grilled chicken (probably about 3 oz total)
    Annie's Natural's Fat Free Mango dressing (only 20 calories per 2 TBSP!)

I eat this salad at least three days a week for lunch. It's delicious, especially if you like goat cheese.
  • alexpl91
    alexpl91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    as a university student my grocery budget is kind of limited.. so i use the prepackaged salad mix, and add whatever veggies i've got at the time. then i throw in some nuts and cheese, and dress it with either balsamic or lemon vinaigrette.

i also make a quinoa salad a lot for lunches, i made a blog post about it- pretty straightforward
    http://livelifepop.blogspot.ca/2013/03/ridiculously-easy-quinoa-fruit-salad.html
  • KetoEric
    KetoEric Posts: 11
    Options
    I have just recently discovered that just oil and some red wine vinegar is wonderful all on its own.

I've been having salads consisting of a varying combination of

Spinach, Tomato, Pickles, Banana Peppers, Black Olives, Jalapenos, Bacon Bits, pepperoni, salami, mushrooms, cauliflower/brocolli, avocado, shredded Sharp chedder cheese and of course Oil and Vinegar for dressing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy so mine are simple. I use spinach as a base and then a salad mix like right now I have organic girl 5 happiness mix. Then I'll add in some sliced sunburst or grape tomatoes, carrot shreds if I have them (need to get some actually), almond slices (I have some by almond accents) and dressing. I use either a vingette or whatever is around like amy's goddess dressing. I measure my dressing out before so I dont put in too much and shake it all up. I'm vegetarian so I'll either cook some chick'n strips or I'll just have it as a side to my meal like a baked potato with veggies in it.

If I am making it a meal I'll include the chick'n strips and cook up some fajita veggies and cube slice an avocado and put that in there maybe with a couple spoons of black beans.